Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HaraldG

Can I use an English FS2004 with a German version's license?

Hi to all,

this may be a strange topic title, but let me explain what I mean.

I own a German copy of FS2004, which I bought around 2006. The German version - that early time I didn't think much about it - makes several problems regarding ATC. While ATC sounds all normal, after using Editvoicepack with many additional callsigns and phrases and after applying the "easy ATC" via modified ATC.dll, the ATC menue shows up as a mixture from German and English phrases.

Some weeks ago I bought an English copy of FS2004. The picture had showed the tin box version but I got a plastic one... and so I gifted it to a friend to invite him into the FS2004 community - with success, by the way.

Now I ask myself if I can abandon my "mixed" German-English FS2004 and replace it with a proper English one, using his copy of FS2004 together with the license I got with my German FS2004.

This will depend on if the license is connected to my very copy of FS2004 or just any copy of FS2004, regardless which language version. Or, in the terms of the EULA: Is the German FS2004 another or the same "SOFTWARE PRODUCT" (original in capitals) then/as the English FS2004?

At the moment, the question is rather theoretical because I am still scared of setting up my whole FS2004 with all additions and modifications. But nevertheless: Does anybody know the answer?

An alternative question: Which files define the language of the ATC menue?
- ATC.dll
- ...?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Harald

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

AFAIK, licences are tied to individual copies - so, IMO, they can't be transfered to another copy.

It might be a better idea to fiddle with the ATC within your existing installation.

Another thing to consider is how your decimal separator is defined in Windows. Some languages use a "," instead of a "." and that can can confuse many applications designed around USA parameters.

Hi,

thanks for your advices, will check that.

I assume that I have mixed English and German files within my FS2004 setup, though.

Harald