Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

More 787 problems

This airplane has had little odd and ends issues, nothing serious.

Oh, a fire at Logan, and smoke in the cabin at FL300 on the ANA flight, but nothing serious! The FAA (rightfully) grounded the plane for a reason. Hopefully Boeing's fix works in the long run, but that's yet to be proven. Only time will tell. I also don't write it off as just "New technology" There were plenty of warning signs about the problems with these types of batteries, both with their own testing (Testing lab burnt down during test) and other industries, that used them. (Remember the laptop battery fires) They needed to use these batteries, and still do, to get the efficiencies they promised. Their fix I think is a big risk for them. They essentially gave up in finding the actual cause, and threw everything they could think of at what they think could cause it, and to containment if it did happen again. If it works fine, (and I hope it does), If it doesn't it will severely  hurt their reputation even further in the eyes of the public.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

They essentially gave up in finding the actual cause, and threw everything they could think of at what they think could cause it, and to containment if it did happen again.

This isn't quite true.  Boeing determined that the battery problems were generated from a couple cells shorting plates.  The redesigned SS chest and overboard venting will prevent any further plate problems from smoking up the interior and the SS helps satisfy the FAA.  Further battery troubles may occur, but they are not expected to receive the attention that these did.  

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going....

That's funny. I saw on the news that United was buying more 787s, and the next day in the same news they said "United may want to reconsider those orders!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk