Sign in to follow this  
PebbleBeach

FS2004 and 1024x1024 Textures

Can you list what add on you're running for FS9 that's causing you to get more stutters than FSX?

Just one (there are many) example:

Campbell River Float Base (CAE3) by Roger Wensley with Campbell River Airport (CYBL) by Don Grovestine. Turn off at the north end of the runway at CYBL looking towards CAE3 and FS9 stutters badly every single time!

Just one (there are many) example:

Campbell River Float Base (CAE3) by Roger Wensley with Campbell River Airport (CYBL) by Don Grovestine. Turn off at the north end of the runway at CYBL looking towards CAE3 and FS9 stutters badly every single time!

Could be missing alpha channel.  Have you ran the program that fixes this on your add on?  Missing alpha channel is known to cause stutters/fps drop in FS9.

I have the same problem with Aerosoft Rome.  I know it's not FS9 because I have other add ons that are way more detailed/complicated than Rome, and they run perfectly smooth while Rome stutters badly while I'm flying over the airport.

I still have to download the tool but I'm in no rush because I'm not impressed with the Rome add on.

Missing alpha channel is known to cause stutters/fps drop in FS9.

If this is the case, does a missing alpha channel create a problem only in FS9 and not FSX?

Not sure how FSX handles this.  I see that FSXers use another tool that converts everything to DXT3 format.

I don't think I've ever seen missing alpha channel discussed in the FSX forum.  If it's been discussed, I must have missed it as I rarely browse that forum nowadays.

You don't.  Read the last part of my post before yours (last post page 1).

The sim is loading more then the airport you are at. It's loading everything around the airport as well.

All the surrounding area, clouds, sky, are higher resolution in FSX and LOD is higher so more is being loaded at any given time.

I see that FSXers use another tool that converts everything to DXT3 format.

Usually I convert FS9 models to FSX using ModelConverterX and change the textures to DDS DXT5 format if they have an alpha channel and to DDS DXT1 if they don't.