Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noel

Recommendations for how to clone/image an SSD install of OS + FSX?

I pretty much completed my install of FSX on a new build where OS & FSX reside on one 500Gb SSD.  I'd like to make a complete back up so that if the SSD fails I can either just plug in the new drive that I copied to I can just connect the backed up drive and then clone back to a replacement SSD or what have you.  I've done this in the past using Seagate Disk Wizard I think it was called, which was an Acronis variant I recall and worked great.  I don't know if there are idiosyncrasies when going from SSD>HDD or back from HDD>SSD so this is why I ask today.

All help much appreciated!

Noel

Can't help you with the SSD>HDD/HDD>SSD portion, but I cloned my SSD using Acronis True Image a few months back and couldn't believe how easy and quick it was. There's likely to be cheaper options out there, and there might even be better options out there, but it was worth the money in my book and I didn't have any problems with things.

Can't help you with the SSD>HDD/HDD>SSD portion, but I cloned my SSD using Acronis True Image a few months back and couldn't believe how easy and quick it was. There's likely to be cheaper options out there, and there might even be better options out there, but it was worth the money in my book and I didn't have any problems with things.

Did the cloned drive work the same as the original without any tweaking or did you have to make some adjustments so it would function properly?

Use EaseUS copy software...the basic version is free, works perfectly and has a simple user interface. No tweaking to the image. Just plug the imaged drive in and it works exactly as per the original.

EaseUS creates a bootable CD from which the user interface loads and you select the source and destination drives.

If its just imaging or partition copying I can't understand why people bother with Acronis... which isn't cheap.

I guarantee you EaseUS will create a perfect image...try it and see (just Google it)

Did the cloned drive work the same as the original without any tweaking or did you have to make some adjustments so it would function properly?

Worked exactly the same. I didn't notice any difference at all between the original and the clone. And just to be clear, this was my W7 and FSX drive.