Sign in to follow this  

Ready to start buying Part for haswell build

Taking the plunge soon and want to run the plan by anyone here that might be already be ahead of me. Hind sight is 20/20 you know smiley4.gif

Let me know if you got any of this hardware and what you though of it. It surpassed your expectations or you where disappointed etc. or If I have missed something. Or for example specific GTX 780 recommendation or are they all the same buy the cheapest suggestions etc.

So here it is:

List of parts for FSX PC

Part                         No.      Unit     Total
Intel i7 4770K                    1     $349.99     $349.99
Asus SABERTOOTH Z87               1     $264.99     $264.99
GTX 780                         1     $650.00     $650.00
Samsung 840 Pro 256               3     $249.97     $749.91
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001          2     $90.00     $180.00
2 x 4GB Samaung Green DDR3          1     Already Have
Koolance Kit for CPU cooler          1     Already Have          
Silverstone Strider 1000w PSU          1     Already Have
Custom Koolance Lian Li ATX case     1     Already Have
Plextor Blue-Ray Drive               1     Already Have

Total          $2194.89
                         Tax           $285.34
                         Total          $2480.23

I'm also planning on upgrading to a new computer this summer (but I'm having mine built for me). I'm configuring my system for X-Plane 10, so I went with the fastest single GPU and the fastest memory I could afford.

I also picked the i7-4770K CPU, theAsus SABERTOOTH Z87, and GTX 780.  

But I picked the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler version.  Its only a bit more than the regular EVGA GTX 780, but it is faster, quieter, and runs cooler . . . it actually beats the stock Titan in some gaming benchmarks.  The only issue it that you may have trouble getting your hands on one. Here's a link to the review that convinced me: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2206/

I'm going with 16GB of System RAM (either 1866MHz CL9, or 2133MHz CL10).

I also picked the Samsung 840 Pro, except that I'm probably going to go with a single 512GB SSD (along with 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I also picked the i7-4770K CPU, theAsus SABERTOOTH Z87, and a GTX 780.

Glad to here someone else choosing the same hardware. Give me more confidence in my decisions. I am going with 3 Samsung 840 Pro's 256GB instead of 512GB because I plan to use one for the OS, ONE for FSX and one for XPX. One HDD for FSX scenery and addons and one for HDD for XPX addons. Not sure that makes sense but that's the way is going with now

Same here on the confidence part (as I've stressed over ever part that I've picked . . . since I'm not much of a teckie). What you wrote makes perfect sense to me . . . which might not actually be a good thing for you. :)

I also played around with the idea of multiple SSDs, but I've now decided on just a single large SSD.

I initially picked the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB for the OS (was told that would be plenty large enough), and a 840 Pro 256GB for X-Plane 10 for a total of 384GB. But it wasn't that much more for the single Samsung 840 Pro 512GB (and comes out a bit less per GB). One of the nice things about X-Plane is that it installs into a self-contained directory, so it will stay separate from all the OS directories and files (and I can easily more it at any point). I'm sure that I'll eventually end up with some X-Plane addon scenery on my HDD (or on a future 2nd SSD).

~ Arwen ~

I initially picked the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB for the OS (was told that would be plenty large enough

Thanks you just saves me $120. I get a 128gb SDD for the OS instead of the 256 :Money Eyes:

You're most welcome. :) Even Windows 8 Professional 64-bit only requires 20GB, but I always end up with a bunch of other stuff on my C:.

~ Arwen ~

Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 1 $264.99 $264.99
GTX 780 1 $650.00 $650.00
Samsung 840 Pro 256 3 $249.97 $749.91

You're certainly not skimping on the mobo, SSD or video card. Depending on what you're going to use the system for, there may not be much benefit. For example, the Z87-A mobo would be enough unless you're planning on doing extreme overclocking in some overclocking competition (LN2+De-lid).
http://hardocp.com/article/2013/06/03/asus_z87a_lga_1150_motherboard_review/7#.UeYu0tK8D-s

For the SSD's, I would get a single 840 Pro and then go with the regular 840 for the X-Plane and FSX drives. Seems like a waste do use those ultra-high end SSDs for flight sims, where you're doing very few writes once the sims+addons are installed.

GTX 780 would be useful in X-Plane - it can actually be quite GPU-limited with HDR, shadows and supersampling AA maxed out. For FSX, a 770 or even 760 would be fine. I noticed virtually no difference when going from a GTX 460 to a GTX 670.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

As far as choice of GTX 780 goes, personal preference would be to go with EVGA due to their service. I wouldn't worry about getting an OC model since you can do this yourself but that's just my preference

Personally I went with 2 x Gigabyte 780's (not just for FSX) but that was simply because that was what was available for shipping to Australia from Amazon.

I went with the MSI MPower over the Sabertooth. I just didn't like the look of the thermal armour and thought dust build-up could be an issue. Otherwise I've heard good things about the board.

RAM I've gone for 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL10.

Contrary to what lots of people say. GPU does make a difference in FSX, but it is more noticeable in certain scenarios compared to others. I.e. with high AA levels etc. If you can afford GTX 780 and don't mind the cost, then I say go for it!

My build is still in progress though since I'm waiting for a replacement psu to arrive so I can't share any results at the moment.

Happy building!!

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I know in some regards I am applying a little overkill but I do intend to delid the Haswell and Overclock the crap out of it. It will be cooled to subzero temps. I'm hoping for 5Ghz+. I've been looking at stutters and blurries for so long that I see them real life! I take valium for the stutters and wear bear bottle glasses for the blurries. Its my own fault though because I am an eye candy fiend. :P but I'm in therapy for that :blink:  :lol:

The cooling on the Sabertooth does have a dust filter but I guess that means cleaning it every once in a while. Some parts I will upgrade later. I just Happen to have the Samsung green which if I am lucky it will OC to 2400mhz with decent timing. But I will probably splurge for better memory later.

Just got an Email from Silverstone my old PSU is Haswell Cerified :biggrin:

Even Windows 8 Professional 64-bit only requires 20GB

Just an after though; are you going to use Windows 8?

I recall reading there are fight controller issues joysticks

under Windows 8 somewhere!

Also I will be following the Guide being prepared by NickN

over at simforum to set everything up. The guide will only

address Windows 7!

Just a suggestion but take another look if you are going with Windows 8

Well I gone and done it.

I ordered all of the parts from Newegg.

I am $2400 poorer but FSX

heaven is on the way.

That's of course if my wife

doesn't get to my credit card bill