Sign in to follow this  
Popcorn

How can I get more autogen?

But be aware that more autogen will usually result in lower performance, so remember the original values, or use a comment (I usually write the new values int the cfg, and add // in front of the original values) to keep them somewhere safe, in case that the results are not what you were looking for.

Are these values really any different than setting the Autogen slider all the way up to "Extremely Dense"?

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Move the auto-gen slider full right.

Then fly close to the ground.

Are these values really any different than setting the Autogen slider all the way up to "Extremely Dense"?

I'd guess that the value controlled by the autogen slider is AUTOGEN_DENSITY, whereas the abovementioned values are the upper limits of autogen objects FSX is allowed to draw per cell.

But be aware that more autogen will usually result in lower performance, so remember the original values, or use a comment (I usually write the new values int the cfg, and add // in front of the original values) to keep them somewhere safe, in case that the results are not what you were looking for.

If you simply remove the entries again (or deactivate them by putting // in front of the lines), the original values will be used.

It's not the same as using the sliders. Usually these entries are used to limit the maximum amount of visible trees and houses so I will use that for this example. Imagine one cell has 500 autogen trees and another has 4500 trees. 

- If you set the slider to Extremely dense, you will see the maximum of 500 in one cell and the maximum of 4500 in the other.

- If you lower the slider to for instance Dense, you will see something like 300 trees in one cell and 2700 in the other (not the exact numbers, it's just an example): so the autogen in ALL cells will become less when you move the slider to the left.

- However, if you set the max trees using the cfg to for example 2000 and the slider back to Extremely Dense, you will see 500 (not even near the limit so it shows them all) in one cell and 2000 in the other (the max according to the cfg).

This way you will limit the trees where it may hurt performance but you will see ALL trees where performance is fine. The same goes for houses. 

Hi

Have a look at this article. It's equally relevant to non ES sceneries as well. . 

Interesting that you, a developer posted about this and it has me wondering now. I have used the tweak in the past just out of curiosity and i also do my own photoscenery with autogen using the annotator. So even if we use the annotator and then crank the autogen up to max with the sliders, we are still not seeing all the autogen we placed unless we apply this tweak?

Best, Michael

KDFW