Sign in to follow this  
HiFly

app crash

Just had a TCAS2v7.dll app crash on short final after a 6 hour test flight!  Ouch!  I was using AS2012 wx + full UT2 traffic at a medium busy airfield in heavy wx with low ceilings and rain.  But I was displaying 35-40 fps at the time of the lockup.  ???

Fortunately I had saved the flight at a previous approach fix so was able to refly it and this time without incident.

Folks, I am very new to this aircraft.  Is this TCAS2v7.dll crash a common event or is it just one of those random FSX messups that we all have on occasion?

The problem can be low RAM memory, upgrade it.
or 

Set in FMC options TCAS Filtering  "[Filter] - [show All]" to "[Filter]" (something like that) 

I personally think its because of low RAM memory and heavy airport. 

Maximum RAM accessable  for FSX SP2 is 4G and I have that.  If it were low ram I probably would have had low frame rates.  So probably not the issue.  Never had a problem with NGX or ConcordeX with all sliders to the right!  But thanks for the response.  

I had this a couple of times - ensure that you have the latest version of MD11 and set AI to filter, if you find this option(i don't remeber anymore where is). If still happens, submit a ticket to PMDG and they will send you the latest or fixed "TCAS2v7.dll". I think i have seen somebody solved problem this way.

Just ensure that you allways check altitudes in fmc, and you must have "cruise" phase, even on going arround. This will keep you away from CTD's. Anyway, MD11 is a beautiful plane, and i think your patience to learn this things will be revarded

Thanks, Zelijko.

I have the latest upgrade of MD11 offered but I don't know where the AI filter settting would be unless you are referring to the FSX menu "traffic" setting.  I don't use FSX traffic...only UT2 and I regulary have it set to 100% commercial, 10% GA traffic.  It sounds as if the "dll" in question has caused others problems(?)  Would I not have the PMDG "fixed" TCAS2v7.dll already included in the version I have purchased since it includes the last and latest upgrade?

And thanks for the encouragement.  I ask a lot of questions in the beginning but thanks to the gracious response from many of you I am now feeling quite comfortable with the performance of the MD11.  

Craig, 100% commercial traffic is a way to much for FSX, this will kill fsx performance. I wouldn't go for more then 20% on my system(i use my traffic 2010). There is a road traffic too, that should be set to zero. How much fps you get with this settings and MD11(hold shift and press "z" twice in fsx to bring on fps counter)?

There was discution about TCAS2v7.dll some time ago, i can't remember if latest fixed version is included in latest MD11 version or you need to submit a ticket. I didn't, and i don't have this problem, so maybe is included :) I think high level of AI traffic is a contributing factor too.

There was some things to be fixed on MD11, but becouse Mr Lefteris(i read this days here in forums that he was the main developer of MD11)has left PMDG, all work on MD has stoped. It's shame, but this is still one of the best planes. I use this two - MD11 and NGX from PMDG and Leonardo Maddog most of time, and now i added Majestic Q400 to my hangar. They are all time most realistic airliners for any pc based flight sim.

I tried to find filtering option for AI traffic, and i think this is just NGX FMC option. I didn't saw anything like this in MD11 FMC or in PMDG menu inside FSX 

I have never tried "my traffic 2010" because I have very little fps hit with UT2 and it includes all the scheduled flights to almost all airports worldwide.  I have tweaked it so the ATC has all the correct call signs and yes it can get pretty busy at some of the major airports.  My frame rates in those busy places with commercial traffic set to 100% is still around 30-35% so I have no need on my system to turn it down.  I do keep the GA down to a minimum and road traffic only to about 25%.  

The strange thing, however, when I encountered the dll lockup I was at an airport with very little traffic and because ATC had allowed an aircraft to drop down right in front of me on approach I toggled UT2 traffic OFF and it was within a minute after that when the lockup occurred so it must have been something else.  I have not encountered it again but to be on the safe side, I am "saving" the flight situation at my IAF each time.   The neat thing about this MD11 is that I have no problem reloading the flight and everything is setup just as I saved it if I also reload the panel state.  I have had myriads of problems with other complex sims such as NGX or ConcordeX (speaking of Lefteris) when I tried to reload.  

Anyway, thanks for the input.