Sign in to follow this  
Todd Moore

737 NGX Autoland?

@precetralis, yeah, GA was messy a lot :) I need to practice it more, I've disconnected AP trying to land manually, then I decided to GA, I made like 5 or more attempts with same result, I thought after this vid that maybe minimums set to 50 didnt allow to land, I ve made it again with 0 mins, again same result, AP at the end gets crazy even if everything is set with LAND3, I can send you filesave prior T/D

No need for filesave, just perform one autoland with clear skies (or fair weather) preset, no real weather update, no external weather engine, and disable turbulence and thermal effects at weather settings. Let us know the outcome.

@g_precentralis, it worked! with clear skies, autoland3 worked flawlessly, now, what is lessons learned on this? I need to be ready on GA for any of such sudden autoland abnormalities on final? my weather wasn't special, it was updated before landing and weather here is calm with few clouds.

You absolutely need to be ready on GA anytime.

Anyway, some addons do not like FSX turbulence and thermal effects, so you might consider option to disable that for good, or to scale down that effects in your external weather engine.

well, I have no weather addon, only default FSX weather, I understand to GA if necessary, what I want to say is if I know that auto-land will not be able to land in such normal conditions (check that vid) I would go then manually on landing sooner, let's say 1000ft ABSL I would disconnect AP and land manually. Is it possible to foresee somehow if conditions for auto-land will be suitable?

With disabled thermal effects, there is no chance that will happen again. Thermal effects in FSX is not so fine-tuned and do not represent RL behavior. 

Disable the turbulence and weather effects in settings in FSX. Does more wrong than good.

Other than that, I think you were overweight and consequently too fast. But technically you are configuring correctly. There are several videos about how to set up the NGX for autoland properly, including one from me (landing over the corner in Vienna in OM-NGP 700)

Unfortunately, you were recording exterior when something happened (and flaps position was altered at that time, you can hear trim sound too), and at that point, aircraft deviated from G/S, then AP tried to chase the needle without success, over corrected, and then disconnected (or you disconnected it?)

I believe a windgust/turbulence effect upset the aircraft, resulting in flaps retracting for load alleviation and further upsetting the aircraft, right as trim reconfigures for auto G/A possibility... a bad moment.

Disable the turbulence and weather effects in settings in FSX. Does more wrong than good.

Other than that, I think you were overweight and consequently too fast. But technically you are configuring correctly. There are several videos about how to set up the NGX for autoland properly, including one from me (landing over the corner in Vienna in OM-NGP 700)

I believe a windgust/turbulence effect upset the aircraft, resulting in flaps retracting for load alleviation and further upsetting the aircraft, right as trim reconfigures for auto G/A possibility... a bad moment.

What wrong it does? What would you do with default FSX (he doesn't use weather engine, and I guess he doesn't own FSUIPC license) to counteract this behavior?

No matter how much tutorial videos he watch, there's nothing more he can do in aircraft to avoid this to happen but to monitor and react. Btw, real aircraft wouldn't be upset in this weather conditions. 

Question for admins, why selective quote tool doesn't work?

why selective quote tool doesn't work?

Works fine here... You've probably got Javascript disabled in your browser, are using NoScript, or have set your Internet security settings too high.

Works fine here... You've probably got Javascript disabled in your browser, are using NoScript, or have set your Internet security settings too high.

JavaScript is enabled. When I select part of post and click the "Selective Quote" button, new window pops up with "Nothing selected or selection cannot be checked" message.