Sign in to follow this  
FLighT01

Just Ordered X-Plane

I’ve just started reading through the X-Plane 10 manual (V10.203) I D/L’d from their site, and have ordered the Global Edition. I have a few questions.

On Installation:

By default, X-Plane will install to the Desktop. Though it can be installed elsewhere (by

clicking the Change Destination button), it is strongly recommended that it be placed on

the Desktop so that the folder can be found in the future. When an acceptable location has

been selected, click Continue.”

I’ve got my W7-64 OS and Word on a 256GB SSD (and programs that load textures into FSX which is on a dedicated 600GB V-rap Drive F). I have a second 600GB V-rap Drive D that is free and where I plan to place the X-Plane install. Is there any reason not to place it on D with a shortcut on the desktop on C? Does the above manual quote imply that X-Plane should be installed to the C Drive?

On 64 bit process:

Will X-Plane automatically take advantage of the 8GB Ram I have? (Of course I can always replace the 2 X 4’s with 2 X 8’s for a total of 16 if that could potentially provide better performance). Or is there something that will need to be done during the install process?

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks.

Frank L.T

Hello and welcome,

You can move the X-Plane folder everywhere you want. You can even install several versions of X-Plane on your system. Just make sure you can write inside your X-Plane folder: I don't know how new versions of Windows handle permissions on folders, I'm using GNU/Linux.

Inside the X-Plane folder you'll find 2 executable files for Windows: the 32-bit and the 64-bit version. Only the 64-bit version will be able to take advantage of all the RAM that isn't used by your operating system or other processes.

Once you receive your DVDs, use the latest version of the installer you can find here:

http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/x-plane_10_installer-updater/

Happy flying. :smile:

Does the above manual quote imply that X-Plane should be installed to the C Drive?

Like MdMax said, you can put it anywhere you like, it don't matter. I got the main XP in a dedicated raptor  (drive D ), a second copy on my backup drive (F).

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

The version comes with the DVD is 32 bit.  After you install let it update to the latest 10.22 and you will have 32 and 64 bit versions.

To really enjoy it scan through this forum.  You will need to get for starter the OpenSceneryX packages and the must-have tweaks from:

http://forums.x-pilot.com/topic/5180-dsf-scenery-packages-cytz-toronto-island-airport/

You will need to register with x-pilot.com but it's free.  The Carenado planes for X-plane are much better than the FSX counterparts.  Since X-plane is much more fluid than FSX the flying experience is much more enjoyable, for me anyway.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

It will use your RAM as long as you're in x64 version.

I'd recommend just ignoring the x86 version ... I never touch 32bit XP - ironically too many OOM's hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |