Sign in to follow this  
Lyle221

A hidden FTX Global phenomenon

Something's wrong Alan. With your PC specs you shouldn't have to reduce autogen.

I have roughly the same specs minus the 780 and did not have to reduce autogen.

I must say I did a clean install of Win7 x64 and FSX acc.

Pierre

Pierre

Something's wrong Alan. With your PC specs you shouldn't have to reduce autogen.

Could be.  But there's some information missing.  I ought to add that I fly in and near the Washington, DC metro area, which, while it's not quite as bad as New York, is still pretty demanding.  The texture load problems mostly affect Tropical Sim's KDCA off in the distance.  Also, we all have our preferences - I'm running Opus real-world weather and camera system, 20 percent AI, 8 percent road traffic and 30 percent boats.  It all comes down to preferences - but too often we report on our system performance without giving a complete account of the load we're putting on the system.

It's entirely possible that if I was out in a rural area, I could set autogen to extreme and not see any performance penalty.  Haven't tried yet, but I will.

My experience with Orbx regions was that I needed to reduce autogen about a notch from my non-Orbx settings.  It didn't bother me much since Orbx autogen seems more "loaded" - that is, more objects per tile at the same setting.  So a lower setting doesn't look too barren.

In other words, I'm not at all bothered by the reduced setting.  But my guess is that results will vary by FSX flying style, not just by system specs.  It's a thought, at least.

I understand Alan and I agree with you on your Preferences settings for your type of Simming. I have no problem with that.

However, even with your said settings, you should not have a texture loading problem (sorry...). As for KDCA fm Tropical Sim I can not comment, I don't have it.

Out of curiosity where does the St-Ex quote in your sig come from? Book title?

Pierre

Pierre

My experience with Orbx regions was that I needed to reduce autogen about a notch from my non-Orbx settings.

This is exactly what I had to do as well when flying the Orbx regions. It is also what I had to do when flying in FSAddon's Tongass Fjords X.

However, even with your said settings, you should not have a texture loading problem (sorry...).

Interestingly, I'm also suddenly getting BSODs with the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.  I'm not sure if the issue is the upgrade to 1.03, or FTXG, or something else, but there does seem to be something odd going on.  Could be a system problem - I'll need to run it down.

Out of curiosity where does the St-Ex quote in your sig come from? Book title?

It's from Flight to Arras (or Pilote de Guerre, if you prefer the original).  Maybe my favorite Saint-Ex.  Really fierce.  Recommended reading overall - and especially for anybody who knows him only from The Little Prince, and thinks he's sort of an earlier version of Richard Bach.