I am looking at a 780 for my PC.

I'm sure it will help for most modern games, but what about FSX?

Think there is any difference?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Opinion only ... I do not own the card.

Any improvement is likely to be evidenced in running multiple monitors at high resolutions allowing higher anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering possible than before.

As FSX remains cpu bound any REAL performance gain would only come through the purchase of HASWELL for example. According to Nick N the Haswell/780 combo is the perfect match.

What Appliance said I agree 100% especially about what Nick said.

But through my own experience, who was a holder of a 580gtx 1.5 gigs, recently went to 780gtx, biggest difference that was definitely noticeable is the smoothness of FSx, especially riding through the clouds. Also many of those microstutters are completely gone.

In my case it has been definitely a positive influence in the performance of fsx

What Appliance said I agree 100% especially about what Nick said.

But through my own experience, who was a holder of a 580gtx 1.5 gigs, recently went to 780gtx, biggest difference that was definitely noticeable is the smoothness of FSx, especially riding through the clouds. Also many of those microstutters are completely gone.

In my case it has been definitely a positive influence in the performance of fsx

Same here. It is a little smoother all around, but really noticeable in clouds and with the Flight1 G1000 planes. There it made a big difference because you can run the SGSS settings without the huge performance drop.

Kdub

So it's not totally useless for FSX, glad to hear that :-)

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

I think

Opinion only ... I do not own the card.

Any improvement is likely to be evidenced in running multiple monitors at high resolutions allowing higher anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering possible than before.

As FSX remains cpu bound any REAL performance gain would only come through the purchase of HASWELL for example. According to Nick N the Haswell/780 combo is the perfect match.

This poster is correct and is just giving you another option. Buck for buck you may be better of investing in a Haswell for the biggest gains in FSX

ZORAN

I think

This poster is correct and is just giving you another option. Buck for buck you may be better of investing in a Haswell for the biggest gains in FSX

Maybe. But...if you get the Haswell clocked to 4.8 like NickN has demonstrated, the 580 will not be able to complement the kind of performance that the Haswell is capable of. With the 2600 at 4.4 the 580 is not hindering the CPU much, if at all. If you go with the Haswell, you won't know what the CPU can really do unless you have the 780 with it.

Kdub

like NickN has demonstrated, the 580 will not be able to complement the kind of performance that the Haswell is capable of. With the 2600 at 4.4 the 580 is not hindering the CPU much, if at all

Which is totally ridiculous. Suggesting you need a 100% more GPU power to overcome a 10% clock deficit is plain ridiculous. Even more when the recommended AA settings for that $650 GTX780 (8xS) can be run on a $250 760.

Basically if you read Nicks posts, a Haswell and a 580gtx would not be really a good match. Nick illustrates, and I agree, its the sum total of your parts in FSX, that will make the difference. You don't want to buy a nice processor like Haswell, and then go with a lower grade video card, spending money then for nothing

For example my experience, I went during this past xmas, from a I975, to a 3770k, and then just recently I bought my 780gtx, and it has made a world of difference in simming fsx.

Yes FSX is a cpu hound, but its the sum of all the parts that will give you the best time in fsx. Haswell and Ivy, work well with a 780gtx, they compliment each other. But if you just go with a 580 and buy a Haaswell, graphic card is going to slow you down, especially when you want to do some overclocking.

Just my 2 cents, good luck

I am looking at a 780 for my PC.

I'm sure it will help for most modern games, but what about FSX?

Think there is any difference?

Stick with the 580. If you want to a gradual upgrade. Do CPU and Motherboard first. Haswell (i7 4770k) and Z87 MB. Everything else you have will work with that.

Then later if you want more get faster Mem and a GTX 780.

Adding a GTX 780 to your current system will not make a difference worth the cost.

An i7 4770k and z87 MB will cost about the same a GTX 780 and you will get noticeable performance improvement over your current system even keeping the GTX 580 in there.

Which is totally ridiculous. Suggesting you need a 100% more GPU power to overcome a 10% clock deficit is plain ridiculous. Even more when the recommended AA settings for that $650 GTX780 (8xS) can be run on a $250 760.

I like the way that you nuance your response. The AA setting can be run with an 8800GT , but it won't be as smooth in the clouds or with the glass cockpits. I'm not speculating here, I have seen the difference on my F1 Mustang. I had an 8800 GTX on my PC and flying turns over Seattle always produced stutters and fluctuating frame rates. I was turning down the scenery level and was unable to run the 1/2 monitor refresh vsync setting in NVidia Inspector. The 780 made this possible. It stays locked at 30 frames and is smoother even during approaches in cloudy conditions. Is it worth $650? Only the buyer can say. The opinions vary. I am glad that I now have a 780, but I don't know whether the OP will find it to be worth the cost. Some claim that a 4770k is only 10% faster cycle per cycle than a 2600. Is that worth the cost? If he can't get his Haswell to 4.4 like his 2600 will he still see the difference? As I said, maybe. Possibly.

Kdub

I like the way that you nuance your response. The AA setting can be run with an 8800GT , but it won't be as smooth in the clouds or with the glass cockpits. I'm not speculating here, I have seen the difference on my F1 Mustang. I had an 8800 GTX on my PC and flying turns over Seattle always produced stutters and fluctuating frame rates. I was turning down the scenery level and was unable to run the 1/2 monitor refresh vsync setting in NVidia Inspector. The 780 made this possible. It stays locked at 30 frames and is smoother even during approaches in cloudy conditions. Is it worth $650? Only the buyer can say. The opinions vary. I am glad that I now have a 780, but I don't know whether the OP will find it to be worth the cost. Some claim that a 4770k is only 10% faster cycle per cycle than a 2600. Is that worth the cost? If he can't get his Haswell to 4.4 like his 2600 will he still see the difference? As I said, maybe. Possibly.

Kdub

Well, there's a bit of a difference between a 8800 GTX and a GTX580 or a GTX760 you know. Personally I think that running no SGSS on a 780 is a total waste, but to each their own.

It's definitely going to be running cool & quiet sitting at maybe 30-40% usage :mellow:

Well, there's a bit of a difference between a 8800 GTX and a GTX580 or a GTX760 you know. Personally I think that running no SGSS on a 780 is a total waste, but to each their own.

It's definitely going to be running cool & quiet sitting at maybe 30-40% usage :mellow:

Yeah, but I was not as happy with my GTX580 purchase as I am with my GTX780. The 580 with SGSS was fine in the clear without a glass cockpit, but because I bought it to smooth out the Mustang, and it didn't eliminate the frame and stutter issues, I was not as satisfied as I am now. However, as you said, to each their own. The 780 is awfully expensive...

Kdub

Maybe keep in mind that I also will use it for BF4, maximising Farcry 3 and the likes.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD