Sign in to follow this  
minniyer

Cant get on PMDG website

To be honest, I pirated a pmdg plane once, and once I did that I could not access the pmdg website even after reformatting due to a problem and it worked at first till I reinstalled it and couldn't access it again, then after another re format and buying the 747 it has always worked :)

FYI - I don't pirate FSX software anymore and own several PMDG products and proud to support FSX developers :)

Might have been a coincidence but either way good on them if they do have a way of blocking today's pirates :)

You think PMDG's website has some way of scanning your computer to detect pirated software and then denies you access to the website because of that?

#NSA

Kyle Rodgers

And I don't think it's so much the website but for memory it was after installing a livery, so perhaps something in that installation of the livery made the website inaccessible.

Sounds weird to me that PMDG would block their own website...

I would consider more likely the fact that the crack would block the precisionmanuals.com (sub)domains (or IPs, ports, ...) if it's used to verify licenses... but that just speculations on my part, i don't even know if the registration/license server is on the same ip/domain/whatever...

Yes, that was the initial accusation. PMDG isn't blocking access to their own website, the accusation was that a Windows file had been changed. It is common in cracked software that a file is changed which always gives a false IP for certain websites (typically activation URLs).

It is very possible that this is case, however, it is still a strong accusation. If the OP is willing he should copy and paste the contents of the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file into the forum. We'll soon see if the accusation is true.

If PMDG alter system files as part of their copyright protection, that would be a very dodgy business practice. I'm 100% sure they don't, and they just disabled the gauges on their craft. But you're right, it was after a livery install which checked for a known 'cracked' hash in the aircraft files and in the registry.

And I don't think it's so much the website but for memory it was after installing a livery, so perhaps something in that installation of the livery made the website inaccessible.

Yes, that was the initial accusation. PMDG isn't blocking access to their own website, the accusation was that a Windows file had been changed. It is common in cracked software that a file is changed which always gives a false IP for certain websites (typically activation URLs).

It is very possible that this is case, however, it is still a strong accusation. If the OP is willing he should copy and paste the contents of the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file into the forum. We'll soon see if the accusation is true.

If PMDG alter system files as part of their copyright protection, that would be a very dodgy business practice. I'm 100% sure they don't, and they just disabled the gauges on their craft. But you're right, it was after a livery install which checked for a known 'cracked' hash in the aircraft files and in the registry.

Great logic there, I never actually thought of it that way but that does make sense :)

Thanks for the info, really does fill the gaps

Minniyer (you should sign you posts btw), you could try reaching the website using its IP adress (http://64.71.225.167/)... this way you'll know if it's a DNS problem or not

The IP address worked! but does that mean its a DNS problem or not?

Open a command prompt and run "ipconfig /flushdns" and then try to reload the webpages.

i tried this and it didnt work, unless i did it wrong. am i mean to have PMDG website in a tab and try it then refresh page?

Yes, it likely means it's a DNS problem.

Basically, a DNS translates an URL (say http://www.precisionmanuals.com) to an IP adress (in this case : http://64.71.225.167/ ). So, if you can access the website with the IP adress but can't access it with the domain name, then something is wrong with the DNS.

Two possibilities : 

1. the default DNS is probably your internet provider's DNS... contact them so they can fix it
  2. change the DNS adress (property of the network card or router) to use another DNS (ex. google's DNS is 8.8.8.8)

You are out of line!

You owe the poster an immediate apology.

You have no right to make accusations without definitive evidence.

Very immature behaviour.

Plus it's inaccurate

i tried this and it didnt work, unless i did it wrong. am i mean to have PMDG website in a tab and try it then refresh page?

Well in that case, i do give my biggest apology. What was ment as a information got to accusation.

Let me explain my writings to those whom (fortunately) don't know about this. I do as i as younger pirated myself.

Often when ppl with few posts on the avsim forum write about this it's this case, now i was mistaken.

Some users do indeed edit the hosts(or host) file somewhere in the windows folder(Don't quite remember where it is now) So they can use one of PMDG's products without paying for it. I won't go deeper on that one as I'm  not supporting pirated products of any kind, especially not of PMDG quality. PMDG really does deserve every penny they get for the products.

Again minniyer(SIGN YOUR POST OR YOU MAY BE BANNED!!!) <-- Link to edit signature.

And ofc the others on this topic defending this guy because of my really hars and hard approach on this one.

Here is my apology

Kind(Ehm yea) regards