Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

DX10 Fixer vs Addon Converter X

I have an FS9 plane that I'd like to be able to use if I switch to DX10 once Steve's fixer comes out.  It works fine in DX10 if I use the demo of Addon Converter X.  If not I get some missing textures.

It sounds like the DX10 fixer will do what Addon Converter X does (mostly converts textures, I think) plus a whole lot more.  Is that correct?  That would be great if it it's true, since it's only one product to buy instead of two.

Or maybe the answer to my question is "Don't know yet.  Wait until the fixer is released."  If that is the case, that's fine...

It sounds like the DX10 fixer will do what Addon Converter X does (mostly converts textures, I think) plus a whole lot more.  Is that correct?

As far as I know, that is true.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge of Steve's plans will step in here ... ... ...  ^_^

Got that Chippie flying yet, Bernie? :lol:

Addon Converter X was produced as a measure to bring the FS8/FS9 aircraft and scenerys into FSX - not to necessarily make them compatible with DX10, nor does it fix any of the DX10 Shader code which Steve addressed with his series of free patches. At that time - in fact up until May/June of last year - no-one really paid much attention to DX10 at all, as it simply wasn't capable of producing a half-way decent flight, what with flashing runways, fences, building, lines, white or black textures, etc.. - lots of problems.

Steve's series of patches have repaired, corrected and finished off a great deal of the existing DX10 Shader code; however those patches don't address a number of other issues - the FS8 and 9 legacy code - which many developers have used (and some still do), plus it diagnoses and makes compatible any textures which are current, but not compatible, a good current example being some components of the Orbx FTX Global - the lights/black squares.

Whereas ACX may have worked splendidly, as intended, in the original FS9 environment - it doesn't do much for us in DX10. We still need the patches, and when the Fixer is finally released - I will predict - there will begin a smooth and steady migration from DX9 to a state where almost everyone (who isn't thrilled with LM's P3d) will be using FSX-DX10. 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Got that Chippie flying yet, Bernie? :lol:

Addon Converter X was produced as a measure to bring the FS8/FS9 aircraft and scenerys into FSX - not to necessarily make them compatible with DX10, nor does it fix any of the DX10 Shader code which Steve addressed with his series of free patches. At that time - in fact up until May/June of last year - no-one really paid much attention to DX10 at all, as it simply wasn't capable of producing a half-way decent flight, what with flashing runways, fences, building, lines, white or black textures, etc.. - lots of problems.

Steve's series of patches have repaired, corrected and finished off a great deal of the existing DX10 Shader code; however those patches don't address a number of other issues - the FS8 and 9 legacy code - which many developers have used (and some still do), plus it diagnoses and makes compatible any textures which are current, but not compatible, a good current example being some components of the Orbx FTX Global - the lights/black squares.

Whereas ACX may have worked splendidly, as intended, in the original FS9 environment - it doesn't do much for us in DX10. We still need the patches, and when the Fixer is finally released - I will predict - there will begin a smooth and steady migration from DX9 to a state where almost everyone (who isn't thrilled with LM's P3d) will be using FSX-DX10. 

Well, in my specific case, Addon Converter X (demo) is successful at making an FS9 (an FSX DX9) aircraft work in DX10.  My hope is that if I buy Steve's DX10 Fixer it will do what Addon Converter X is already doing and more, allowing me to buy just the DX10 Fixer instead of the DX10 fixer and Addon Converter X.

As far as I've been able to find on the internet, all Addon Converter X does is convert texture formats.  I don't know if it does more than that.  If that's all it does, it sounds like DX10 fixer might do that as well, but it's hard to find that info at this point.

My issue with DX10 isn't so much the aircraft (which Addon Converter X largely solved) but all the scenery artefacts. I tried those [free] fixes but still had loads of issues at many locations. I so desperately want DX10 mode to work (though I'm not sure exactly why any more!!), but I'm always disappointed and go back to DX9.

Maybe this new payware thing (whatever it is) will finally be the "magic bullet".

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I always "loved" the hair pulling, frustrating OOM and various other crashes in DX9 that I never get anymore with DX10. Really makes DX9 worth still using doesn't it? NOT!

I'd be willing to bet that if you post your specific problems here that someone could help you in tracking down your artifact problems and minimize them.

Got that Chippie flying yet, Bernie?  :lol:

Just about thanks Paul.

Waiting for Steve's full package though, as I've got a number of historical aircraft that I'd like to bring across to DX10 - & I'm hoping for an easy way to do it!   :rolleyes:

I know some time has passed on this thread - but since it's precisely the issue I'm dealing with, here goes:

In the context of addressing FS9 portovers in FSX Gold+DX10, it looks like there is indeed two ways - Steve's fixer, and Addon Converter.

So are there some objective differences pros/cons to each?  I'm just getting to read about Steve's Fixer - and somehow I think that offers way more than what I need now - chiefly being to the conversion of the aforementioned FS9 ports - as well as (if feasible) the conversion of certain MAIW/Calclassics airports.

As I mentioned in the Fixer thread - I'm running REX also.

cheers,

DL

The ability to render legacy aircraft and scenery for most of us is secondary to the Fixer's ability to make Dx10 fully useable with Dx10 scenery. Also add-on converter X whilst being the only program to allow textures to be shown on legacy aircraft back in 2008 did not allow any shine on them nor did it cure any of the scenery issues in FsX.

Thanks Roger - that summarizes it well. 

I think I'll focus on getting REX fully dialed in (itself no small feat, it would appear) and then revisit the port/DX10 matter - and as it appears, with the Fixer being the preferred tool.

cheers,

dl