Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Is there a way to toggle autopilot to NAV2?

Just logged about 25 hours recently in this model.  During a long flight, with time to mess around, I thought to myself...  What if my RXP GNS530 failed.  I certainly still have a working NAV2 radio and instrument.  But I went over the panel with a fine tooth comb and could not find a way to toggle the autopilot to NAV2.  The documentation is paltry.  Is there a way to do this that I have missed?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Humm.  Are you talking about the selector circled below?  I thought it just selected the DME to display.  Guess I'll try again.  Oh, and yes I realize that in this image the 530's GPS/VLOC is set to GPS.  This is just an image that I had available for another reason.

C337_panel-L.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Ahh.  I see the NAV1/NAV2 indicator now in the upper right corner on the mode selection panel (red circle) but it is not clickable for me.  It lights up when I have the AP engaged and the NAV button selected, but it does not toggle when I click it.  My mouse pointer does not change when hoovered over it.  Thus my AP will only track NAV 1.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Have you tried adding the key to the fsx controls yourself?

The key mappings (standard.xml)  can be found at c:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx(or whatever you called your fsx folder)\controls.

Backup the standard.xml file first.

Then edit it.

Here is a small part of it:

<SimBase.Document
        Type="Controls"
        version="1,0"
        id="Standard">
    <Descr>Controls Mapping File</Descr>
    <Filename>Standard.XML</Filename>
    <SimControls.Map>
        <Name>KEYBOARD_MAIN</Name>
        <Entry>
            <Key>SHIFT+F10</Key>
            <Down>KNEEBOARD_VIEW</Down>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
            <Key>CTRL+S</Key>
            <Down>VIEW_PREVIOUS_TOGGLE</Down>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
            <Key>G</Key>
            <Down>GEAR_TOGGLE</Down>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
            <Key>VK_LBRACKET</Key>
            <Down>NEW_VIEW</Down>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
            <Key>SHIFT+T</Key>
            <Down>MP_TRANSFER_CONTROL</Down>
        </Entry>

Just add a new section, between </Entry> and <Entry>, something like this, shown in red (this example uses CTRL+N but you can choose any available key combination):

<SimBase.Document
        Type="Controls"
        version="1,0"
        id="Standard">
    <Descr>Controls Mapping File</Descr>
    <Filename>Standard.XML</Filename>
    <SimControls.Map>
        <Name>KEYBOARD_MAIN</Name>
        <Entry>
            <Key>SHIFT+F10</Key>
            <Down>KNEEBOARD_VIEW</Down>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
            <Key>CTRL+S</Key>
            <Down>VIEW_PREVIOUS_TOGGLE</Down>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
            <Key>G</Key>
            <Down>GEAR_TOGGLE</Down>
        </Entry>

<Entry>
            <Key>CTRL+N</Key>
            <Down>AP_NAV_SELECT_SET</Down>
        </Entry>

<Entry>
            <Key>VK_LBRACKET</Key>
            <Down>NEW_VIEW</Down>
        </Entry>
        <Entry>
            <Key>SHIFT+T</Key>
            <Down>MP_TRANSFER_CONTROL</Down>
        </Entry>

Save the file, and you should now be able to select NAV 1 or NAV 2 by pressing your chosen key.

NOTE I have not tried this particular command myself, but I have used numerous of the 'undocumented' commands and all have worked well - the list can be found here:

http://blackiceair.net/SDK/Core%20Utilities%20Kit/Variables/Event%20IDs.htm#NewEventIDsforFSX

BTW, I do not know if it will also activate the indicator light on your panel, but it should hopefully change between NAV1 and NAV2.

Well I configured the "N" key to perform the NAV 1/NAV 2 toggle in FSUIPC and have it working via keyboard stroke, but albeit not with the panel.  The switch (button) is there on the Mode panel but does not work.  Is that unique to me?  Or is it that way for others as well?  i.e. why is the button there but inop?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Well I configured the "N" key to perform the NAV 1/NAV 2 toggle in FSUIPC and have it working via keyboard stroke, but albeit not with the panel.  The switch (button) is there on the Mode panel but does not work.  Is that unique to me?  Or is it that way for others as well?  i.e. why is the button there but inop?

Which FSUIPC command did you use? I have just rebuilt my simulator after stepping away for years, and I used to have that switch working, but now I cannot remember/figure out which command did it.

Thanks!

Robert

[edit]

Nevermind. For some reason the "toggle DME" command does not work with that gauge in the Baron 58, just the DME on the radio stack. However it does drive the King Air version of that gauge. Not sure why, but I just took the Baron gauge out and replaced it with the King Air one and it works fine.