Sign in to follow this  
oskiatl

Revenge of the low end system!

There are some important tweaks which works, but only if they are applied properly and in right combination. This is why we have guides about performance tweaking.

There is no chance that default fsx.CFG can ever work better then my tweaked(with moderation and balanced)fsx.CFG. I have tested that on my system, and couple of other PC's. Maybe that will work with default scenery and GA planes - or other easy on fps planes, but for flying airliners with all that addons, again - no chance! Only if you have Tianhe-2, Titan, Sequoia or other supercomputer

I have pretty good performance, smooth as silk at 30fps and 1/2Vsync.

Most of the times!

Not allways!

I usually see frames drop (20-30fps) while on the ground and maybe up to 1000ft.

Above that altitude steady 30fps.

I am going to say this is normal!

You can not add un unlimited of complex addons and expect 30fps solid.

There is no tweak in the world that can fix how FSX works.

You have to decide what you want....unlimited amount of eye candy OR smooth flight.

All sliders very high or more.

water high x1

No cars, few boats, AI traffic is varried as required for performance.

Using UTX,GEX,FSGenesis mesh,REX clouds,OPUS live weather,My Traffic For AI, and several addon airports.

The only tweak I use, to be able to maintain 30fps (where 1/2Vsync works), is the reduced FFTF.

And the Highmemfix and Wideviewaspect (I dont consider them tweaks though).

Other than that I have nothing in there!

So I am saying, there IS a change that a cfg file with almost nothing in it does better than a tweaked to death one!

So what tweaks are you using?

Just bufferpools or more?

And what do you mean with a balanced .cfg file?

Maybe I will try bufferpools again and see what happens......a 30fps increase I think is promissed.....If that is true (and without causing other artifacts and problems) I will certainly post it.

Rob Robson

So what tweaks are you using?
Just bufferpools or more?

i use Word Not Allowed's tweaks  - bufferpools, AffinityMask=14, FFTF=0.15 + nvidia inspector and FSX settings. In FSX settings i have cloud draw distance to minimum, that is only difference - he has better graphic card, for my 560ti that is too much. I'm going to replace GPU becouse of that :) I have skidmark tweak too, highmemfix and widewiev, but last two are not for performance, and skidmark is just to preven a stutter on landing :) 

And what do you mean with a balanced .cfg file?

I mean i have only tweaks which works well togheter, and applied in the right way - like i said before, if you apply bufferpools=0, this works well only with locked fps and water to High 2X or higher. Like 1 / 2 refresh rate in nvidia inspector gives you smoothnest only if you have framerates locked at 30.

I don't use tweaks from other guides or tuning tools - i tested them all, and this is the best combination for me.

And very important, balanced becouse i didn't put all his tweaks in my fsx.CFG just like that, i tested them on by one. This way i have found that i need to reduce cloud draw distance for my GPU. Also - texture max load and lod radius are there like a recommendation / posibility if you want to try them, but they have more negative effects - they will increase VAS usage and risk of OOM errors. I don't use them. I had TML to 2048 for a long time, but now i have set that back to default. 

I hope you understand what i want to say, English is my third language :)

"Locked"? If by that, you mean you have your fps locked in the display settings, then you need to set that to unlimited right away! It's amazing how much smoother everything is once set to unlimited.

That depends on who's tweaking guide you adhere to.  IIRC Word Not Allowed recommends using the internal FSX frame rate lock. I've used an external lock but it did no better than the internal one for me and was more awkward to use.  Unlimited frames is great until FSX or Windows needs to do some housekeeping, then the smoothness becomes intermittent.  Better to give windows sufficient spare time by locking FSX internally and not allowing it to free run (no commercial full flight simulator runs that way either).

Maybe the unlimited FSX plus external limiter works OK if you have a high spec machine. For those of us with lower spec computers it's not necessarily good advice.

Stop looking at the FPS ..... if it's smooth then it's good to go. You can go crazy trying to get the "perfect" FPS. Every system is different.

Amen to that.

ki9cAAb.jpg

That depends on who's tweaking guide you adhere to.  IIRC Word Not Allowed recommends using the internal FSX frame rate lock. I've used an external lock but it did no better than the internal one for me and was more awkward to use.  Unlimited frames is great until FSX or Windows needs to do some housekeeping, then the smoothness becomes intermittent.  Better to give windows sufficient spare time by locking FSX internally and not allowing it to free run (no commercial full flight simulator runs that way either).

Maybe the unlimited FSX plus external limiter works OK if you have a high spec machine. For those of us with lower spec computers it's not necessarily good advice.

Amen to that.

No tweak guide. I got sick of doing that stuff years ago and I don't have time for it. All I do is put the sliders to the right (except for a few things like water and terrain texture resolution), run it through venetubo and fly when I find some time.

My frames were set to 28 fps to avoid problems in multiplayer (other aircraft stutter back and forth when the frame rate is out of sync - we all set our sims to 28 fps to avoid the problem). A month later, when I got back on the sim, I wondered why the performance was so bad. A reset the frame limiter to unlimited solved all of my problems.

My 'high-spec' machine was built 3 years ago for under AU$1000, with a first-gen i5, only 4GB of RAM and a HDD (no SSD for me). You could probably build something with the same performance today for AU$600.

I use no fsx.cfg tweaks what so ever apart from the obligatory Highmemfix

i5-3770k GTX660ti and 8GB ram

locked at 30 everywhere

dead stable, dead smooth

Stop tweaking stuff.

just let it do its thing, just because some guy on a forum says "X" is the best tweak ever, doesnt make it so.

So guys with stability probs,

delete your super modified cfg files, and try running out of the box.

you will be suprised, because it took me months to sort the NG out, the fix was leave it as intended by microsoft

This is exactly what I did (sort of). Finally deleted my heavily modified FSX cfg. file, got rid of FSX Booster, Bojote's tweaks, etc, and started from scratch. the only modification to my cfg file is:

HIGHMEMFIX=1

AffinityMask=14

WideViewAspect=True

I then set my NVIDIA inspector settings per Word Not Allowed's guide. All graphics sliders maxed except autogen (very dense) and water effects (high 2x). Traffic sliders are at reasonable settings. I'm using the PMDG NGX at FlyTampa's KMDW with ORBX FTXGlobal , REX, and Just Flight Traffic 360 running as well.Very pleased with the results. 24 FPS on the ground in the previously mentioned scenario with the FPS counter shooting well past 40 in the air away from a busy airport. I try to include as much info as I can when I make FPS claims. The previous posts regarding great performance on their 6 year old Dell or what have you tells me almost nothing if no other information is included. It's wonderful if people are satisfied with FSX performance on their low end systems. Hell, I could fire up my old FSX dedicated AMD Phenom based rig and conduct the exact same test. That PC is no slouch at 3.8 Ghz ,but it would fall flat on its face with that test. Why? because I've been there done that with it and 3 other previous builds. Regards

No tweak guide. I got sick of doing that stuff years ago and I don't have time for it. All I do is put the sliders to the right (except for a few things like water and terrain texture resolution), run it through venetubo and fly when I find some time.

My frames were set to 28 fps to avoid problems in multiplayer (other aircraft stutter back and forth when the frame rate is out of sync - we all set our sims to 28 fps to avoid the problem). A month later, when I got back on the sim, I wondered why the performance was so bad. A reset the frame limiter to unlimited solved all of my problems.

My 'high-spec' machine was built 3 years ago for under AU$1000, with a first-gen i5, only 4GB of RAM and a HDD (no SSD for me). You could probably build something with the same performance today for AU$600.

Venetubo is a widely used tweak system though, so you are using one even if you don't think so.  I'm not saying unlimited fps is wrong, it clearly works for you, but it doesn't suit everybody.  I've used the venetubo site too, but it seems to make my system worse.  So I tend to follow Kostas's general advice.  Messing about can degrade performance.  My most recent, quite dramatic, improvement was to reset my graphics card to factory default.

You may not regard your system as high spec, but it is compared to mine.  I built it about two years ago, but used low to mid range components to keep costs down.  I can't run FSX with the sliders to the right like you and my CPU is not close to an i5 in performance. I can run the NGX and (so far) the 777 well enough and get no more OOMs than those with cutting edge PCs seem to.

ki9cAAb.jpg