Sign in to follow this  
cheeleair

How Base package models are decided ?

Hello,

I am interested to know about the thought process/decision how the base package models are decided?

Is it based on popularity of the real model or Technical aspects to model or something else ?

I believe the success of the real world models have an influence on models the simmers want to fly.

For Ex : Many may prefer flying say 737 -800/-700 over the -900/-600 models of B737 just because they are hugely popular over the

latter models. But PMDG modeled -800/900 into one and -600/700 in another as extension. This made the -700 if someone wanted to be 
a very costly product and end up owning -600/900 which one many not be specifically interested in.

If we go by the Legacy of 747, -400 was released and later -8 and LCF models which sinks up with the real world numbers.

With B777,
going by numbers B777-200ER is the most popular of the -200 Series with about 422 in number.
So I had predicted this as the Base model and -200. The "A Type" (88 Built ) and LR (~56 Built) probably would have been made available as Extension Type. But PMDG chose to have the LR as base package over the other popular series.

Many would probably want -300ER model to be flown over the -300 Series again only because of ER's popularity in real world.

Kindly share what goes-in while deciding the Base package types (Of course, only if it can be shared. I understand and respect
if PMDG wants to keep it confidential).

Best Rgds
Cheeleair.

(NGX,MD11,-400X,777LR/F)

Because then you have to buy -300ER and -200ER expansion pack. If -300ER is in base package, less people will buy -200LR/F.

It's just a guess.

For the 777, commonality and only one engine type that's used. The 200/200 ER/300 have 3 engine variants, meaning a lot more programming to do before release.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

Because then you have to buy -300ER and -200ER expansion pack. If -300ER is in base package, less people will buy -200LR/F.

It's just a guess.

It was because PMDG had access to the 200LR. So mainly tech reasons the LR is the base. They explained this early on.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Technical reasons, but probably business reasons prevail. 

At the end of the day, its makes better business sense to release the least used model in RL as the base package and the most used model in RL as an extension.

Why? Because to get the aircraft you really want, you need to buy the base + expansion. 

If PMDG released the 300 as the base, and LR as the extension, they would probably have less sales.

I'm not creating pointing match here & If I owned a FSX aircraft development business, I would have done exactly what PMDG did to maximise my sales.

The LR is a fantastic plane & I'm glad to finally have a decent T7 for FSX.

Here is what I think:

Because if you only release -200ER or -300ER with 777F, It's very strange that you have release 777F but why you don't release -200LR, because -200LR has almost the same specification with 777F, so DEV team had access to -200LR first just because they want to release passenger plane and Freighter in the same time.

For the 777, commonality and only one engine type that's used. The 200/200 ER/300 have 3 engine variants, meaning a lot more programming to do before release.

+1.   The 77L only uses the GE90 engine variant whereas the -200 has different engine types that it can use.   Likewise for the -300 series.   This would have meant a far longer delay possibly due to the fact that the various different engine models and their different performances had to be researched and properly programmed.

Kind regards.

If PMDG had to model 3 separate engine types and  do the associated programming, we would be waiting another year for release. 

Also it might be simply because the LR is what the Dev team chose to model.   The LR is a superior aircraft from a performance standpoint. 

If you were going to spend 2 years modeling and programming a virtual Ford Mustang...would you rather spend that time on a more common stock V6 Mustang, or would you rather spend the time modeling a limited edition V8 GTO model?

I guess from the economic side one would pick the V6 mustang, but since I don't have to pay for gas in the virtual world, I would go with the souped up GTO in a heartbeat LOL

Kind of the same thing with King Air vs Starship.  King Air is more common and economical while the Starship is a rare hotrod.  I am a pilot so I would pick the Starship, but I suppose if I were running a charter business, the King Air would be the better choice :)

Cheers

TJ