Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

X-Plane 10 HD Mesh v2 CANDA - ANOTHER PREVIEW

*******, those mountains are breathtaking! Thanks so much for your work!

You mentioned new texture sets from 10.30 - are these screenshots displaying any of them?

+1    Can's wait!   Looks amazing!

For all of you who want to learn OSM mapping:

http://learnosm.org/en/

Can you tell me what data tags XPX uses ? I am editing streams, rivers wetlands, canals, lakes, etc, in OSM. So I was wondering what kind of data is going to be visible when you do the recut. Does it make a difference if I draw in a stream thats straight or curved ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Can you tell me what data tags XPX uses ?

I think the appropriate answer is to use the tags which are correct for the entity you are creating ... tagging things incorrectly because you want them to appear in X-Plane is a disservice to both X-Plane, and Openstreetmaps (as well as any future project that will eventually use OSM's data).

I think the appropriate answer is to use the tags which are correct for the entity you are creating ... tagging things incorrectly because you want them to appear in X-Plane is a disservice to both X-Plane, and Openstreetmaps (as well as any future project that will eventually use OSM's data).

I am talking about tagging things that are going to show up in xplane, not tagging them incorrectly. I don't have a lot of free time to be tagging, so I want use my time wisely.

Eric Escobar

I am talking about tagging things that are going to show up in xplane, not tagging them incorrectly. I don't have a lot of free time to be tagging, so I want use my time wisely.

Still, Carrotroot is correct in saying: you mustn't tag something in OSM incorrectly just to make it show up in X-Plane. You have to just simply tag your stuff like the OSM community expects / wishes it ...

Of course, I also see your side where you want to know, which additions make sense (when tagged correctly) and will show up.

So, when we talk about rivers, then the following will definitely be used (see the list of possibilities here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway ):

- waterway=riverbank (the polygon rivers)

- waterway=river (the line rivers)

I definitely filter out waterway=stream, as there are too many, too small entities which would kill the current scenery system (in some places) ... and even having added waterway=river already makes a big (positive) change in many many places. So, if you concentrate on the above two entities (when talking about flowing water), then you are spending your time on worthy additions.

And I don't know what you exactly mean by "curved or straight" ... of course you can make them from endless segments which make a "curved" line (here we take it "as is" from OSM).

Still, Carrotroot is correct in saying: you mustn't tag something in OSM incorrectly just to make it show up in X-Plane. You have to just simply tag your stuff like the OSM community expects / wishes it ...

Of course, I also see your side where you want to know, which additions make sense (when tagged correctly) and will show up.

So, when we talk about rivers, then the following will definitely be used (see the list of possibilities here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway ):

- waterway=riverbank (the polygon rivers)

- waterway=river (the line rivers)

I definitely filter out waterway=stream, as there are too many, too small entities which would kill the current scenery system (in some places) ... and even having added waterway=river already makes a big (positive) change in many many places. So, if you concentrate on the above two entities (when talking about flowing water), then you are spending your time on worthy additions.

And I don't know what you exactly mean by "curved or straight" ... of course you can make them from endless segments which make a "curved" line (here we take it "as is" from OSM).

Like I said, I am not tagging anything incorrectly. I am just wondering if I should spend time tagging streams. Why would a stream kill the scenery ?

"curved or straight" An example would be the owens river in CA, it naturaly curves like a snake.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id#map=16/36.9250/-118.1777 Do I draw in as a straight line or do I draw in like a snake the way it looks ? The reason I am aking is becuase it takes forever to draw it the way it looks. I am using the line tool.

Ok pic attached.

Capture-1.png

Eric Escobar

I am just wondering if I should spend time tagging streams. Why would a stream kill the scenery ?

If every stream was drawn/rendered in X-Plane, it would add data and otherwise lend potentially poor performance for a water body which, quite honestly, is rarely big enough to be seen through the trees.

For OSM purposes, feel free to draw in streams... but for X-Plane, they won't be rendered.

"curved or straight" An example would be the owens river in CA, it naturaly curves like a snake.

Yes indeed, draw it like a snake! Realistic representations are what we owe to the OSM community, nevermind X-Plane.

I see you're using a web-based editor. Consider the short but worthwhile learning curve towards using JOSM. (*Using the Fastdraw plugin, you can click, hold, and DRAW a river in a far more natural fashion!)

Canada (possibly not all of it, but definitely the South and West ...)

Very nice Andras.  However could you please add eastern Canada.  The rivers there are messy in X-Plane 10.  The capital city Ottawa, where I live has a sizeable river and it's currently dry land.  You can goto CYRO and see for yourself. The river is there in OPENStreet Map.

Thanks in advance.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Very nice Andras.  However could you please add eastern Canada.  The rivers there are messy in X-Plane 10.  The capital city Ottawa, where I live has a sizeable river and it's currently dry land.  You can goto CYRO and see for yourself. The river is there in OPENStreet Map.

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry ... with Southern Canada (and I was already reminded somewhere, that this term is not commonly used / understood) I meant the complete area up to 60N (so yes, this means, Eastern Canada will be covered).

And yes, I am aware of the missing data in the current scenery (the reason was, that its based on data more than 2 years old ... and at that time, a lot more was missing from OSM).

Like I said, I am not tagging anything incorrectly. I am just wondering if I should spend time tagging streams. Why would a stream kill the scenery ?

That depends ... if you change the tag of a water line from river to stream, just to make it appear in X-Plane, then you might do it incorrectly. Because there is a semantic difference between a stream and a river ... and OSM (from the pure mapping perspective) would / should have it correctly (as a more or less exact representation of a natural feature in a map)!

Second: for X-Plane scenery it makes an important difference! At the moment X-Plane does NOT draw rivers (or any other water bodies - they are technically all the same) as overlays but as part of the triangle mesh (having a specific terrain type: namely water)! This means, that detailed, thin rivers induce a lot of triangles (to achieve a good approximation in the representation!) which eat away from the triangle budget of the 1x1 degree DSF area (don't ask me for details ... its a very complex process how the scenery generator creates the mesh and allocates triangles depending on a configure "budget" and other parameters). So, adding thousands of tiny, detailed streams might be not always a good idea! Thats why I limit the process to waterway=river only!

In a distant future, when X-Plane gets a feature to draw tiny streams as overlays (a little bit like the roads - and not as part of the triangle mesh), then this limitation will be lifted and streams will be important. But then as a different type - with possibly different representation (and at that point you might need to tag rivers back to streams which you have changed for X-Plane just a few years back :unsure: ).

I hope you see the point .... and thats why I ask you to stick with OSMs rules, map in the sense of OSM (and not just X-Plane in mind) ... we/I will do the rest.