Sign in to follow this  
CordoganAir

FSX ATC assigns less than favorable runway for takeoff/landing

Thanks for that reply, on a night that has taken the gilt-edge of my flying tonight. First, the early evening news emanating from that Naval yard in DC, followed a couple of hours later that one of this Forum's noted posters and contributors, the late Steve Inwood, (R.I.P.) sadly, passed away this evening.

Yes, sad news indeed.  I did not know Steve but he evidently was a major contributor.  Regarding the attack at the Wash Navy Yard, from 1983 to 1986 I worked in building 197 (which has now been taken over by the Chief of Naval Operations).  In fact my organization were the first tenants.  A very secure building (then).

I'm not familiar with the upcoming FS2Crew addon. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

upcoming FS2Crew addon.

What I meant , was, Brian is bound to be making a Voice Commander or Button version for this as he has with all previous PMDG aircraft.

Wow, a connection, remote even if it is, to a world news event. What gets me is that how did somebody get into such a secure Yard when I could not even sneeze in some places I visited in the USA last June/July.

What gets me is that how did somebody get into such a secure Yard when I could not even sneeze in some places I visited

A Navy vet so almost positive he worked there or on temporary duty there sometime during his career.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim

Thanks for that reply, on a night that has taken the gilt-edge of my flying tonight. First, the early evening news emanating from that Naval yard in DC, followed a couple of hours later that one of this Forum's noted posters and contributors, the late Steve Inwood, (R.I.P.) sadly, passed away this evening.

Will the upcoming FS2Crew add-on not take care of that? Seems like it's a case of mixing the default ATC with your choice. Not the perfect dish maybe. Maybe, we should wait for our hobby to be taken forwards just as the spate of aircraft are doing so.

My cousin works in the building where that happened!He left for conn. 10 MIN before it happened!

Hi Rick,

Straight from the hip I would not recommend any one of them.  I do like some of the features in ProATC-X but IMHO it is still not a finished product.  For instance, the default can "see" AI on the runway and in the air... ProATC-X cannot for the most part and I think that's where they are running into problems as I understand they would have to get into the FSX code to allow that to happen (and getting into the code is not going to happen). ProATC-X does see some AI aircraft incoming and sometimes when you arrive at the departure runway (they'll tell you that you are 3d in line for departure) but most of the time it does not. The only realistic ATC is the on-line stuff but it's not perfect either.  I can handle not seeing AI on the runways.  A couple of others cannot.  I had Radar Contact installed for several years but it is no longer being updated.  What I like about ProATC-X is the fact that you can have a co-pilot who manages frequencies, altitudes, and some other tasks.  I do not think it realistic that YOU, as the Pilot, the Captain of the Ship, etc., has to fly a huge airliner all by yourself.  I like the fact that you can give some of these tasks to your co-pilot and/or Flight Engineer.  ProATC-X is not cheap for many but it has a lot of nice features.  When I fly using ProATC-X, I'll use both the default and ProATC.  Most of the time I can hear the default asking the AI aircraft whether they see me or not.  The default is always good for background ATC too.  I definitely do not like it for takeoffs and landings. 

Best regards,

Jim

As far as ProATC-X is concerened is there a way to get a AI plane that is slow or not moving on the ground out of the sim.I love RC for fs 9 , but hate the fact that the fs AI engine would leave a plane in front of me sitting there not moving or responding to calls.I understand it's because of fs, but there was no way to remove them.I cant wait to get fsx!

A Navy vet so almost positive he worked there or on temporary duty there sometime during his career.

Best regards,

Jim

I know right?Sounds like another false flag to me.How much you want to bet he was on anti dep drugs?Mk ultra.

As far as ProATC-X is concerened is there a way to get a AI plane that is slow or not moving on the ground out of the sim.I love RC for fs 9 , but hate the fact that the fs AI engine would leave a plane in front of me sitting there not moving or responding to calls.I understand it's because of fs, but there was no way to remove them.I cant wait to get fsx!

In Radar Contact you could ask for another runway but not in FSX or in ProATC-X.  AI will eventually disappear but it takes a long time (and again not very realistic).  I use AI Smooth and it does a pretty good job of moving aircraft out of the way so I can get out of town or into town.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

In Radar Contact you could ask for another runway but not in FSX or in ProATC-X.  AI will eventually disappear but it takes a long time (and again not very realistic).  I use AI Smooth and it does a pretty good job of moving aircraft out of the way so I can get out of town or into town.

Best regards,

Jim

Ya I know.I just went to the Pro atc web site and its sounds GOOD!Thx for the heads up.I hate to say it , but I think I am gonna try it instead of RC.I cant believe I just said that.I feel so dirty.lol

In Radar Contact you could ask for another runway but not in FSX

As I have previously mentioned in this thread, by enabling crosswind in ADE9x you CAN in fact ask for a different runway through the default FSX ATC, which I found was the best answer to my original question. This is actually quite simple and fast to do.

by enabling crosswind in ADE9x you CAN in fact ask for a different runway through the default FSX ATC

Yes, but don't you have to edit each AFCAD?  I mean, it's not in the default and there's no option in the default ATC to do it.  But your idea will work too if we are proficient with ADE for FSX.  Personally I have never successfully used that program but then I have not tried recently.  Maybe it is easier now.

Best regards,

Jim

ProATC-X does not have that capability. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

You are correct, you would in fact have to edit each individual airport's AFCAD to get this capability. In my situation it worked well because KARR is my home base airport and I really wanted to be able to fly my T7 in there empty and almost dry for service and maintenance. I found ADE rather easy to pick up and fairly intuitive but I'm an architect that works on AutoDesk Architecture 2013 day in day out which is anything but, so I may be predisposed to dealing with temperamental and cantankerous design programs. If there are any specific airports you'd like me to set up for you I'd be happy to do it for you. Just let me know.

I fly in and out of Aspen a lot and it drives me crazy that FSX ATC always tells me to land using runway 33. If you're not familiar with KASE, landing runway 33 is not an option. 15 is used only for landing and 33 is used only for take off.

By reading the previous posts in this thread I don't think there is an easy way to fix this but, is there a way to assign 15 for landing and 33 for take off with FSX ATC?

Thanks

Ben Weaver

SWA8485