Sign in to follow this  
Remys

BARO VS QNH

QNH through ATIS but where do we get the baro settings from ?

I.e: in the AOA training for the PMDG T7, chris set the qnh as per the atis to 1026 and baro to 190ft?

how can we get the baro info for the airport/rnwy?

thank you

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi,

The baro information is the approach minima. You can find these in the approach chart(s).

Charts:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1310/05100IL1R.PDF

512 at the bottom would be the BARO MIN.

thanks a lot for the explanation. unfortunately the charts that I  am using are not displaying same as attached. i.e: for Dubai: ihave the

RA 100'

DA(H) 131'

(100') and finally

RVR 350m

is the DA(H) considered to be the BARO? 131 baro? sorry for being pushy I am just trying to know how to read carefully this info in the chart so as to use it

thank you.

one last thing any link for detailed charts , Europe , USA, middle eat?

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

RA 100' <-- RADIO
DA(H) 131' <-- BARO

thank you excellent explanation

as you can see I have different approach charts:

DXB : DA(h) 210' 200 --> should I take the 210 or 200 ?

DXB2: 259' (200).. 259 or 200 ?

EHAM2 :CAT1 CAT2 (ABCD DL) and the GP INOP which i have no clue about it :P having a value of 440 (450) in this case which BAro i should choose?

OLBA: ABCD: -- A 407(395) B 419(407) C 427 (415) and finally D: 438 (426).

so in the last two charts i noticed that it depends on the type of approach that we have the value ?

so in those charts which values I should consider to exact BARO

why some use RADIO and what is the difference between radio and baro

thank you for the final approach plates lessons :)

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

DXB : DA(h) 210' 200 --> should I take the 210 or 200 ?

DXB2: 259' (200).. 259 or 200 ?

EHAM2 :CAT1 CAT2 (ABCD DL) and the GP INOP which i have no clue about it :P having a value of 440 (450) in this case which BAro i should choose?

OLBA: ABCD: -- A 407(395) B 419(407) C 427 (415) and finally D: 438 (426).

so in the last two charts i noticed that it depends on the type of approach that we have the value ?

so in those charts which values I should consider to exact BARO

why some use RADIO and what is the difference between radio and baro

thank you for the final approach plates lessons :)

BARO (Decision Altitude/Height) is the bigger, bold number and is referenced in Mean Sea Level (MSL); whilst the Radar Altitude (height reference Above Ground Level) is in parenthesis. 

There are occasions when the altimeter setting may be old or unavailable for the airport and the only other option is to use the Radar Altitude as the minimums, but they are effectively the same if you have a current altimeter setting.  Also, approaches in mountainous terrain will send the Radar Altimeter going crazily up and down as you pass over the hilly terrain below; and therefore the GPWS would be going crazy if it was referencing the RA.  In some circumstances, in the notes, you'll see that certain instrument approaches aren't even authorized without a current altimeter setting.  Additionally, the difference between the Decision Altitude (BARO) and the Radar Altitude is the runway elevation (subtract them from each other and that should give you the runway elevation - NOTE that this is different from airport elevation).

I suggest doing some searching around Google if you are looking to grasp the basics.  If you have more in-depth questions that you can't find the answer to than come back and post them up.

BARO (Decision Altitude/Height) is the bigger, bold number and is referenced in Mean Sea Level (MSL); whilst the Radar Altitude (height reference Above Ground Level) is in parenthesis. 

There are occasions when the altimeter setting may be old or unavailable for the airport and the only other option is to use the Radar Altitude as the minimums, but they are effectively the same if you have a current altimeter setting.  Also, approaches in mountainous terrain will send the Radar Altimeter going crazily up and down as you pass over the hilly terrain below; and therefore the GPWS would be going crazy if it was referencing the RA.  In some circumstances, in the notes, you'll see that certain instrument approaches aren't even authorized without a current altimeter setting.  Additionally, the difference between the Decision Altitude (BARO) and the Radar Altitude is the runway elevation (subtract them from each other and that should give you the runway elevation - NOTE that this is different from airport elevation).

I suggest doing some searching around Google if you are looking to grasp the basics.  If you have more in-depth questions that you can't find the answer to than come back and post them up.

thanks for the reply, now it is all clear.

i have been looking at approach categories on google to check the 777-200 LR cat. it is CAT C or CAT D?

Aircraft category VAT Range of speeds for initial approach (and reversal and racetrack procedures) Range of

final approach speeds Maximum speeds for circling Maximum speeds for intermediate missed approach Maximum speeds for final missed approach Typical Aircraft in this Category A <91 90 - 150 (110*) 70 - 110 100 100 110 small single engine B 91 - 120 120 - 180 (140*) 85 - 130 135 130 150 small multi engine C 121 - 140 160 - 240 115 - 160 180 160 240 airline jet D 141 - 165 185 - 250 130 - 185 205 185 265 large jet/military jet E 166 - 210 185 - 250 155 - 230 240 230 275 special military

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

The 777 is cat D. 737s etc are cat C. I think the Q400 squeaks into cat B.

Simply put, just use BARO (the bold figure) on the charts above. RADIO is only used for CATII and above ILS approaches. You won't need to do one of those unless you're landing in the kind of fog where you can't see the end of your nose. CATII requires not only the aircraft but the crew and the runway to be certified to do it also.

The figures in metres are the runway visual range. They increase with aircraft size and also go up if the ALS 'approach lighting system' is out of service. This is simply put the visibility required to make the approach. So at OLBA in the 777 you'd need 1400 metres of viz and a decision height of 438 feet to make the approach. If you don't have either you'll be off to Larnaca :)

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

The 777 is cat D. 737s etc are cat C. I think the Q400 squeaks into cat B.

Simply put, just use BARO (the bold figure) on the charts above. RADIO is only used for CATII and above ILS approaches. You won't need to do one of those unless you're landing in the kind of fog where you can't see the end of your nose. CATII requires not only the aircraft but the crew and the runway to be certified to do it also.

The figures in metres are the runway visual range. They increase with aircraft size and also go up if the ALS 'approach lighting system' is out of service. This is simply put the visibility required to make the approach. So at OLBA in the 777 you'd need 1400 metres of viz and a decision height of 438 feet to make the approach. If you don't have either you'll be off to Larnaca :)

thanks for the explanation :)

but as per

Airport Reference Code and Approach Speeds for Boeing Airplanes the 777-200 ER and 777-200 LR are placed in Category C-V whereas the 777-300 and the 777-300ER Category D-V.

attached is the fact sheet

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525