Sign in to follow this  
machie

engines quit after takeoff

Hi All,

My engines quit about 3 to 5 min after takeoff---I am new to this aircraft in FSX---I bought a number of copies over the years but never really learned the aircraft--where, for instance is the manual or some tutorials---going to learn the airplane and use in in my virtual airline Historical section---I want to fly for Aloha and Hawaiian---someplace I flew extensively in real life back in the 1970's

Hi Machie

Second question first, which may help with the first  - get all the manuals and instructional videos from our Free Stuff Pages

You don't mention which of our three aircraft you are talking about, but the plural engines narrows it slightly and it would be a bit strange if you flew a Mitchell for Hawaiian AL, so my Holmes like intellect leads me to surmise we are talking about the Douglas. :rolleyes:

In any case, as you will find when you consult all the goodies you'll download from the aforementioned FSPs, you must fly the plane with proper throttle, mixture and prop settings or, just as in the real thing, bad things will happen.  Our flight models are designed to replicate actual aircraft performance to the point where you can and must fly them "to the numbers" found in the real aircraft manuals.  Incidentally, despite newer and bigger FS designers slick ad slogans, MAAM-SIM was the first to do this, way back in 1999!

Even without going to school with the instructional downloads, you can pull up your plane's kneeboard reference pages from the FSX menu and adhere to the maximum numbers for the various phases of your flight.

Aloha and happy flying!

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem or not, but it want cost anything to give it a try.

A number of aircraft in FS simulate carburetor icing even though in the real world the bird in question does not have carburetors and this is not really applicable. Memory fails me, but there may even be a jet or two that has this quirk. Initiating carb. heat from the keyboard cures this even though it is a bit strange.

In flying the Amelia Earhart route with the Electra from a download that was available some time ago, there was one spot in that route where barometric pressure went out of sight with Active Sky active such that power cannot be maintained, but surely you are not located there. Defaulting to MSFS weather until out of the area patched this problem.

Good luck:

RTH

Hi everybody,

Thanks so much for the responses to my questions concerning engine failure after takeoff in the beautiful mid-Atlantic air Museum DC-3. You’re correct in your assumption that I am flying the DC-3. I am changing up the way I fly in my virtual airline and have decided to go back and fly routes that I flew in real life in the mid-1970s. I was a high school teacher living in Honolulu then, and although I had learned to flight a very young age due to the encouragement and incredible teaching abilities of my godmother who had been a Women’s Army Service Pilot during World War II, it was there in Hawaii and the mid-1970s that I bought an airplane and really learn to fly it. I think back to those days, I shudder at some of the questionable choices we used to make----but we were young and bold and I don’t think really understood the dangers involved in flying around over large stretches of water at night in whether with funky IFR instrumentation in the aircraft. I am lucky to have survived it all, some of my good friends were not quite so fortunate. Anyway--- I thank you for the information and will read the manuals cover to cover--- I somehow feel that I am over taxing the engine string climb--- maybe too much power not enough cow flaps etc. I will read, experiment, and if I continue to have problems will come back to the forum.

I do have one other issue that I would like someone to help me with, and that is the fact that my virtual cockpit is missing the altimeters both for the pilot and copilot--- there is a post in the forum about this issue but I can’t quite understand--- there are instructions in the post to change a line in the configuration file but I can’t tell if that’s the flight simulator X config file or some config file that can be found within the MAAM files--- I am not a computer expert by any means and any simple instructions on rectifying this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Again thanks for the responses--- cheers and good luck-- as an ending note to other flight Sim enthusiasts who might be getting long in the tooth and have given up real life flying--- dusting off your old steam gauge IFR equipment and skills and going back setting up some bad weather in flying routes that you flew as a younger pilot has an almost visceral thrill to it. Yesterday I made a cool approach to the Kahului runway 02 at night and in bad weather--- flying right down between the West Maui Mountains on the left and Haleakala on the right--- maintaining minimums to fly over the sugar mill (using the brand-new mega scenery earth 2.0 Hawaiian scenery)--- I have done this flight the same way in real life--- all I can say is that this was a pretty cool reenactment-- lots of fun and brought back lots of great memories--- going out with my friends after doing something like this and drinking beers and talking about how we did everything was great at the time and the memories of doing it today bring back lingering almost olfactory memories of those occasions.

Cheers

Dorn Cranert

Problem solved thanks to advice from David C. at Buffalo Virtual Airways----Turn on the oil pressure pumps along with the fuel pressure at start up!