Sign in to follow this  
RGS

Some questions about the DX10 Fixer.

Hi guys,

It's been a few years since I've used DX10. As we all know it was unfinished and eventually the rough edges got to me.

Steve's DX10 Fixer has me very interested in giving it another shot, however I have a few Qs before taking the plunge:

VC Shadows:

I remember really looking forward to the introduction of VC shadows only to discover upon release that they were of such low quality (low res) and seemingly very inconsistent (which elements cast/receive shadows/accuracy of shadows) that in fact the sim looked far better without them.

I've not installed the freeware, but I'd really like to know how much of an improvement Steve's made with his 'Fixer.' I know he's managed to soften the edges, but are they still very low res? I saw on his blog that he was able to increase the resolution of the jet VC shadows - has he done the same with the other aircraft, or is it possible to do so easily?

I'd really love to have good quality shadows in the VC but I'm not impressed with Microsoft's implementation.

Other Issues:

From what I've seen the other issues that used to bug me have all been fixed. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the flashing/z-fighting taxiways, missing progressive taxi markers, rain and snow 'umbrellas' and opaque mesh fences are now all a thing of the past, right? Are these items now fixed 100% or do some problems still remain?

Also are there any oddities running DX10 with certain add-on aircraft or is there anything else that I should be aware of with the default sim?

Scenery:

I'm not using any additional 3rd party airports right now, does all of the default scenery work fine under DX10?

Am I likely to see any issues with:

• FS Global Ultimate
  • FS Global Real Weather
  • FS Flight Keeper

I don't imagine that I would, but just thought I'd ask!

Freeware:

If I install the freeware will it give me a good indication of what I can expect from the payware package, particularly in regard to VC shadows? Also, is it easy to completely remove the freeware and return to the default settings? I did read the 'readme' but it mentions a script not being included to rebuild the DX10 shaders - Prob something simple, but again I wanted to check as my FSX is running well and I need to know I can completely revert any changes.

Finally:

Any other positive points of using DX10 over DX9 would also be appreciated (things that come to mind are better performance/FPS, better water effects and bloom that doesn't kill your framerate).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robert

Every question you have asked is well discussed and answered in this forum.

I would suggest that you have a read and then use the information that you

glean to make your own informed decision.

Regards,

Nick

Hello Nick,

I have read some of the other posts here, but I will look again. I am aware some of my questions have been covered in part (and no doubt some in full), however sometimes people report different results, plus when reading older posts I don't know if something's been updated/fixed since or not. There's quite a few pages to go through in some cases, but I will have another rummage.

I didn't see any answers related to this particular VC shadows point though:

I'd really like to know how much of an improvement Steve's made with his 'Fixer.' I know he's managed to soften the edges, but are they still very low res? I saw on his blog that he was able to increase the resolution of the jet VC shadows - has he done the same with the other aircraft, or is it possible to do so easily?

I have searched for some high res images and YouTube videos but not found anything of high enough quality to really judge.

Hi RGS:  Here are some shots of the A2A Cub, showing the shadowing as applied by the Fixer to GA aircraft. The VC shadows for the much larger airliners, are similar, though produced by a different method. I have no pics of these at this moment.

VC Shadows:

only to discover upon release that they were of such low quality (low res) and seemingly very inconsistent (which elements cast/receive shadows/accuracy of shadows) that in fact the sim looked far better without them.

I've not installed the freeware, but I'd really like to know how much of an improvement Steve's made with his 'Fixer.' I know he's managed to soften the edges, but are they still very low res? I saw on his blog that he was able to increase the resolution of the jet VC shadows - has he done the same with the other aircraft, or is it possible to do so easily?

I'd really love to have good quality shadows in the VC but I'm not impressed with Microsoft's implementation.

Robert - your question's are far too subjective to give you any kind of sensible answer, as we have had user's complain of poor AA, great AA, poor performance & greate performance. One man's rubbish is another man's gold! The Cub's pics above are standard, unretouched pics from my pc, using the standard A2A Cub, just to see that the shadoes worked. For me - they're pretty good, yet for others - their shadows are amazing!

Other Issues:

From what I've seen the other issues that used to bug me have all been fixed. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the flashing/z-fighting taxiways, missing progressive taxi markers, rain and snow 'umbrellas' and opaque mesh fences are now all a thing of the past, right? Yes, the issues you mention here are all fixed perfectly - 100%, but again, you need to qualify the question, because not all vendors use the FSX SP2 SDK, and do use their own tools. Some of these create issues, which may or may not be fixed, or may cause other things to behave unpredictabley. . Are these items now fixed 100% or do some problems still remain?

Also are there any oddities running DX10 with certain add-on aircraft or is there anything else that I should be aware of with the default sim?  Nothing with the default sim, RGS, but as above - there are some airports which still have issues, plus some comments about some AI nav lights not working.

There are very few "other issues", and any that arise are being handled by Steve on a one-to-one case basis.

Scenery:

I'm not using any additional 3rd party airports right now, does all of the default scenery work fine under DX10? Totally, and the default is much improved when used with the new Orbx Global.

• FS Global Ultimate   Don't use it Robert.  Someone else may comment
  •  
  • FS Global Real Weather -> Old freeware FS9 DH Chipmunk, Orbx Anacortes, PNW scenery, using FS Global RW.
  •  
  • FS Flight Keeper  Don't use it RG, but I would expect that it works.

Freeware:

If I install the freeware will it give me a good indication of what I can expect from the payware package, particularly in regard to VC shadows? Also, is it easy to completely remove the freeware and return to the default settings? I did read the 'readme' but it mentions a script not being included to rebuild the DX10 shaders - Prob something simple, but again I wanted to check as my FSX is running well and I need to know I can completely revert any changes.

Installation and de-installation is a breeze, with one-button reversal. However - the best advice is backup the video graphics control config, along with the fsx.cfg.

Finally:

Any other positive points of using DX10 over DX9 would also be appreciated (things that come to mind are better performance/FPS, better water effects and bloom that doesn't kill your framerate).  All true.

Thanks in advance for the help.  No problem, Robert.

Robert

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi guys,

It's been a few years since I've used DX10. As we all know it was unfinished and eventually the rough edges got to me.

Steve's DX10 Fixer has me very interested in giving it another shot, however I have a few Qs before taking the plunge:

VC Shadows:

I remember really looking forward to the introduction of VC shadows only to discover upon release that they were of such low quality (low res) and seemingly very inconsistent (which elements cast/receive shadows/accuracy of shadows) that in fact the sim looked far better without them.

Other Issues:

From what I've seen the other issues that used to bug me have all been fixed. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the flashing/z-fighting taxiways, missing progressive taxi markers, rain and snow 'umbrellas' and opaque mesh fences are now all a thing of the past, right? Are these items now fixed 100% or do some problems still remain?

Also are there any oddities running DX10 with certain add-on aircraft or is there anything else that I should be aware of with the default sim?

Scenery:

I'm not using any additional 3rd party airports right now, does all of the default scenery work fine under DX10?

• FS Global Ultimate
  • FS Global Real Weather
  • FS Flight Keeper

Freeware:

Finally:

Any other positive points of using DX10 over DX9 would also be appreciated (things that come to mind are better performance/FPS, better water effects and bloom that doesn't kill your framerate).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robert

I can vouch for high def and jag free vc shadows in the Carenado Bonanza. To test I found the best way was to use Clear Weather inside fSX so there would be bright sunlight all around the cabin. This true life feature alone to me is at least 75 % of the asking price. I went back to dx 9 to see if it was there and it was not. Carenado seems to have slipped in DX10 support on their G A aircraft....those sneaky guys, lol

Thanks for the replies guys.

I bought the package and have been testing it out over the last couple of hours.

Right now I'm undecided as to whether I'll stick with DX10 or revert back to DX9.

Like Sesquashtoo my primary reason for wanting to run in DX10 was the possibility of decent VC shadows. Whilst they're certainly a lot better than the default, unfortunately there are still issues. I'll start a new post to discuss only the shadows but as a series of points:

1. Though softened they are still a bit low res. If only there was a way to double the resolution...
  2. Even with the softening of the edges they display oddly at times, so you will get a harsh jagged shadow where it appears to cut through the geometry.
  3. Possibly related to the issue above; they are too inaccurate - looking back into the cabin I see a lot of light bleeding through from the exterior at the top edges of the cabin walls, this also happens at the bottom of doors (and yes there is a shadow casting mesh shell beyond the walls). The shadows sometimes seem offset from the actual mesh - Look at the base of cockpit window pillars to see the effect.
  4. Some elements simply don't want to cast shadows - for e.g. the joystick and shaft shadow fine (I can even make out the hat switch and buttons!) but the material boot at the base of the stick just doesn't cast a shadow at all, judging from the shadow cast it would appear as though the joystick is floating in the air! There seem to be quite a few inconsistencies like this.

Now, I'm not saying Steve's to blame here - I'm sure he's done a great job with what he can access (Microsoft are to blame though!), but for me I just don't know if it's enough. When it looks good, it's great, but there are too many occasions where it looks bad/broken for my liking.

It's really frustrating how the 'wow' moments are shortly followed by the 'ugghh' moments :(.

I wonder what, if anything, can be done in 3dsMax prior to export to help the shadows display better (I'll post those sort of Qs over on the FSDeveloper forum though).

I'll experiment further and post more soon.

You know, RGS, I doubt that every aspect of DX9 100 compatible rendering will be achieved, but that being typed, I'd like to sort of reverse engineer my statement.

Here goes;...

"I'll bet that the the sheer FPS horsepower that lets a user with a high end CPU/GPU combo, run absolutely  every graphics switch or slider at its maximum setting, and other perks viewed by the DX10 shader set...will never be achieved by running FSX under DX9 control."...

It really boils down to, can you perhaps in some of the (very minor list to date) custom airports, live with a square box, or twitching concrete when landing or taking off from there, and if the answer is; "yeah...for the very few DX10 Fixer as is today, can't make play nice in the sandbox"...then what DX10 behind FSX does bring, is a massive argument for use thereof.

I'm sure that Steve is very proud of his work, and will continue to press against the wall, of what can also be overcome and rendered to work a la DX9'esqe..and what he hasn't figured out by arriving at another angle and look.  There will be patches/updates to be sure.  For my VC shadow in the Carenado Bonanza, and at 4 FSAA in the Fixer, and 4x sgss in nVidia Inspector , they are without any jaggies at all....even when they pan and move across the panel and interior, or doors etc.  Same for the stock 737 and 777.  This one feature has been a marvelous addition to FSX usage, and is highly prized  to me in my usage of X Plane 10.  Wouldn't think to not have it on...as we can't body-feel a bank, ascent, or decent...but with the shadow moving as per your action, it fools the mind enough that this is real...and the plane is moving into that new axis.  I could never go back...and not have this. It would have the effect of making the VC cockpit fake and sterile. A picture....and no more.  Yuck!

Hail DX10  (a full working and negotiating DX11 would be better...but that might be seen in P3D)  Until then....this is a superior flight, visual, and immersion experience over DX9.  P.O....and that P.O. is what matters to me...and opens, or keeps closed my wallet.  I took a chance on this one.  DX10 Fixer paid off, and handsomely, too. 

Hi there - Yeah, I'm not saying Steve hasn't done a great job with all his fixes.

DX10 is now an option for me.

As I said though, I really wanted to use the VC shadows. Whilst DX10 has some other nice advantages, DX9 has ENB and higher 3rd part compatibility so they kind of even out a bit if you remove VC shadows from the equation. I'm not using any add-on airports but for me the flickering taxiways prior to the Fixer would have been a deal breaker, despite the better water and improved FPS. It's a similar deal with the VC shadows now - they can look great, but they can also look pretty broken. I personally would rather have consistency, even if that means I lose some of the 'wows.'

I'm glad your VC shadows are looking good, I think it depends a lot on the a/c in question as to how apparent the issues are as I'm running similar settings to you.

Anyway, I've started another post to specifically discuss the shadows. I really hope Steve can find some workarounds to my issues as I'd love to enable this feature but to me in it's current state the cons outweigh the pros.

Cheers,

Robert