Sign in to follow this  

User Interface confusion -- Disable means it's enabled?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's usually a bad idea to use a "Button" to indicate "current state" of something.  Radio Buttons are more common when defining exclusive "states" and buttons are used to perform "actions".  Traditional usage.

I think this might be leading to A LOT of confusion for folks (myself included) when working with your wonderful tool.

I was reading the manual page 29 (Legacy Options - DX10 Reflections) and I thought the "Enable" on the button meant that DX10 Compatible Reflections were enabled.  But in your manual it states "Note that the button will change function after the feature is enabled to be a Disable button."

So if "Enable" is on the button, that actually means the DX10 Compatible Reflections are "Disabled" -- I'm willing to bet A LOT of your customers are not seeing any differences/improvement in DX9 vs. DX10 because they think something is enabled when it actually is not.

I'm assuming that at the main Direct X group, DX10 Compatible Lights and Effects with button at "Enable" also means these effects are actually "Disabled"?  -- being consistent with how it works in the Legacy Shader options?

If you are going to take another shot at the User Interface, I highly recommend you use a Radio Button group to indicate Enable/Disable state and an "Apply" button to perform an action.  Let the user select all their options and then hit the "Apply" button to make the changes based on those options selected.

My 2 cents Rob.

Agreed. I posted about this last weekend somewhere in some topic. And yes, when you see Enable the function actually is Disabled at the moment. Even now I know how this works, it still looks odd and I also think it can and will confuse people. The fact alone that you have to explain this (Note that the button will change function after the feature is enabled to be a Disable button) makes it clear something is not very clear.  ^_^ A function like this should not have to be explained but should be totally self explanatory.

(What makes it even more confusing is that the interface looks a bit screwed up on my PC, probably due to some missing fonts: various words and letters are missing. 'Manual' shows up on my interface as 'Manua', so with the last letter missing. So 'Enable' might as well be 'Enabled' on my PC...!  :rolleyes: )

Agreed. I posted about this last weekend somewhere in some topic. And yes, when you see Enable the function actually is Disabled at the moment.

I wonder how many people that have said "they don't see the difference" or "still have problems" were confused with this also?

To Steve: if you need help with the UI layout/design, PM me (we Emailed many moons ago about similar topic) -- I've designed/programmed countless UI's over the past 30+ years.  I think I can help you get the best out of your work while also reducing confusion/support.

Cheers, Rob

I agree with both posters, it is confusing. Easy fix though.

(What makes it even more confusing is that the interface looks a bit screwed up on my PC, probably due to some missing fonts: various words and letters are missing. 'Manual' shows up on my interface as 'Manua', so with the last letter missing. So 'Enable' might as well be 'Enabled' on my PC...! :rolleyes: )

Jeroen

That might be due to the Form's AutoScaleMode.

Check your screen DPI's at (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display) set to default and try.

Cheers.

The font is a pure mistake (see the defects list) it should be Ms_Dlg but on that screen of all the screens I seemed to have changed it by mistake - and I guess all the beta testers had the actual font installed.

The button is a bit trickier. I originally had a dialog but the beta testers suggested a button. I then couldn't think how to set the elevation shield against a radio button.

I agree that disable and disabled is confusing - but the problem with any GUI you work on is that familiarity soon makes you accept almost anything.

So suggestions?! I have considered Turn On and Turn Off!!

A radio button and an action button seems a lot of buttons.

So suggestions?! I have considered Turn On and Turn Off!!

Hi Steve

First of all, let me thank you for a great product.

As for a suggestion, I was thinking something along this if a button is desired:

(Same button two states)

probably adding  a tooltip stating status, something like:

"Currently Enabled, Click to Disable"

and

"Currently Disabled, Click to Enable"

I would elevate the whole app requesting administration level on the manifest.

<requestedExecutionLevel  level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />

Cheers.

Here are some ideas for your UI.  Keeps everything on a single form, no navigating back and forth to different screens ... everything is in one place.  Checkbox represent enable/disable state (checked = enabled, unchecked = disabled).  Then a single Apply button actually do you magic on the DX10 files.

Unchecking the "Base FSX DX10 Libraries" basically restores the user to their original FSX state (as if the DX10 fixer never happened).

Attached files/screens shots of the various states:

Rob

Wow... that would indeed be a great interface for this addon...!!! Everything on one screen and no mistakes possible! Well done. It's clear you indeed have experience with this.

Well done. It's clear you indeed have experience with this.

Thanks gents, and the checkbox approach should make it clear that something is enabled/disabled (along with graying out of the relevant options).

I should revise it a little the "FSX DirectX settings" aren't tied to the "Base FSX DX10 Libraries" ... so they should not enable/disable based on this checkbox (see screen shot 1), but otherwise I think it'll work as a UI.