Sign in to follow this  
waleed

Where did I go wrong with the fixer?

No problem. Welcome to the DX10 club.

hello i dont want to hijack this topic  :rolleyes:  but when i set the AA in the fixer to 2x and change the 'quality' part of my cfg to 2 ( im using 2 sgss ) the place where it says AA in the fixer blanks out . 

That is correct. The fixer does not know what sgss you have set, so you put that in the fsx.cfg yourself.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

SGSSAA is sparse grid supersampling ... it's a faster but less accurate version of SSAA (regular grid).  So if your physical screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 and you run 8XSSAA, the GPU is actually rendering the scene at 7680x2160 pixels and then down samples back to your physical resolution of 1920 x 1080 ... SSAA looks at the each grid element where as SGSSAA looks at only some of the grid (hence better performance).  This process works for FSX DX10 because of where it happens in the render pipeline.  I'm speaking specifically NVidia, I don't know about ATI.

What actually is entered in the FSX.CFG is just a value 2,4,8,16,32 -  if you are not using standard values, DX10 Fixer will not pick them up.  These values should match up to NVidia Inspector settings.

[GRAPHICS]
MultiSampleQuality=4
MultiSamplesPerPixel=16

[DISPLAY.Device. xxxx]

Mode=2560x1600x32
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

Here are some of the NVidia modes:

Rob

Rob,

Your post should be made a sticky. The nomenclature differences among the DX10 Fixer AA drop down list box, the NI settings and the FSX.CFG AA entries are a bit daunting.

No AA: Antialias=0

2x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=2,  MultiSampleQuality=0

4x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=4,  MultiSampleQuality=0

8x CSAA: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=4,  MultiSampleQuality=8

8x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=8,  MultiSampleQuality=8

16x CSAA: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=4,  MultiSampleQuality=16

16xQ CSAA: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=8,  MultiSampleQuality=16

32x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=8,  MultiSampleQuality=24

As you stated, any other combination of the two AA entries in FSX.cfg generate a blank field in the DX10 Fixer drop down list box. 

Rob,

Your post should be made a sticky. The nomenclature differences among the DX10 Fixer AA drop down list box, the NI settings and the FSX.CFG AA entries are a bit daunting.

No AA: Antialias=0

2x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=2,  MultiSampleQuality=0

4x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=4,  MultiSampleQuality=0

8x CSAA: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=4,  MultiSampleQuality=8

8x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=8,  MultiSampleQuality=8

16x CSAA: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=4,  MultiSampleQuality=16

16xQ CSAA: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=8,  MultiSampleQuality=16

32x: Antialias=1, MultiSamplesPerPixel=8,  MultiSampleQuality=24

As you stated, any other combination of the two AA entries in FSX.cfg generate a blank field in the DX10 Fixer drop down list box. 

hello

so if i have 2x AA in the fixer i must leave the multi sample quality set to 0 ?

No, the DX10 fixer just doesn't cover all the possible AA options that you can see in the NI. But it's not a good plan to purposely create inconsistencies between the two settings.