Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Future graphics - Timelapse of GTA V

Yes we would, but still not close to this(MS Flight is another example, it looked nicer but still looked "old"). Look at  X-plane, doesn't even come close, and that is a modern sim, look at Prepar3Dv2, It will look better than FSX but still not close too GTA V, Arma 3 graphics and other games....

Someone mentioned Outerra, try and run it and see how much resosurces it draws from the system, put a sim into that equation and it will be some years before we can run it decently on our PC's..

Im contemt if LM gets ESP up to the state where it will run without performance issues and maybe look a lttle better than FSX, Im not expecting it to look like todays games.. I just don't beleive our computer are upto it with todays hardware.

I maybe be totally wrong though :P But my expirience with simulators is that they always have demanded alot more powerful computers to run and not even been close to games when it comes to graphics. There is so much going on under the hood in sims that we can't see, but really take a toll on the system.

Flights looks just showed its FSX heritage. I don't think there's much doubt that MS could have accomplished much much more with a completely new engine that took greater advantage of current computer architecture. I also agree with Simmerheads' point that the vast variety of building types in GTAV exceeds that of FSX by quite a large margin. More than enough to populate a world without gas stations on every corner.

And don't forget the incredible detail! In a world where a single complex airport can slow sims to a crawl at the same time that the MUCH more detailed Gta airport speeds right along at a level of detail that allows you not only fly an admittedly simple plane but also lets you actually enter intricately lit buildings, walk around and interact with people and objects that themselves respond to forces like gravity, collisions etc all in the 4gigs of memory of an Xbox without a crash it sight........

There are some seriously complex calculations going on here. Maybe not PMDG level, but I suspect more than enough to best most any sim we have now. Think of the frame-rate hit of full auto-gen traffic (boats, cars, planes) in FSX, even using brute force computing (Multicore processors at 4ghz and more, backed up by the very latest in GPU's) compared to the aging specs of An Xbox.

Said Xbox is monitoring People Ai, and those people are interacting with auto and truck traffic Ai, which is responding to traffic lights and also to the players erratic movements. (avoiding his crazy driving and etc) You have the police Ai (when chasing the player) which is also interacting in realtime to changing traffic to avoid collisions etc, while at the same time taking into account bullet trajectories, explosions, gravity, vehicle physics......... motorcycles, moving trains, birds, clouds, rising and setting sun, reflections, shadows, HDR, more light sources than you can shake a stick at....... and on and on.......

Again, all in 4gigs of memory. I think its pretty obvious after all that, that current sims could go a lot, lot further. At this point, I think of it being less a problem of computational resources as it is of financial and manpower resources.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yea Gta V is pretty awsome the flying sucks though. The game chuggs along with super smooth FPS on my PS3's single core 3.2ghz (which core tech is less advanced then a intel P4) and its massive 256MB of ram. Which makes me wonder why FSX gets OOMs with 4092Mb at its disposal and gives crappy fps with systems running 8 cores at 4.5ghz like mine. I will say that V cost almost $300 million to make though which would explain why it works

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.