Sign in to follow this  
Vic1

landing fuel reserve amount?

can anyone tell me what the absolute legal minimum landing fuel should be for the 777LR. I mean after all contingency and alternate fuel is used ?

tks

kav

can anyone tell me what the absolute legal minimum landing fuel should be for the 777LR.

Depends on your area of the world.  Seeing your location is EGLL, I'll wait for someone with better knowledge of that area of the world to give you an answer.

Kyle Rodgers

there is no such a thing as a "legal minimum landing fuel". At the planning stage you have to follow several rules that defines the minimum fuel you need to have in order to execute the flight legally, however once airborne there are no more restrictions, however of course you need always to monitor your fuel consumption and take appropriate action if required.

Having said that, it is generally a good idea to plan to land with at least your minimum fuel reserve, which in the B-777-200LR and -F is around 3.0 to 3.5 tones.

Cristian Caicedo

Under most flight planning rules (including EU-OPS, FAR Part 121 Flag Ops, CASA CAAP 234-1(0)), the requirement is to plan to land with at least 30 minutes reserve (calculated at 1500 ft above the aerodrome and at holding speed). 

For the 777-200LR/F, this comes out to be about 3500 kg at max landing weight. For flight planning purposes, there are some other considerations that need to be taken into account (contingency/variable reserve fuel, alternate fuel, etc.)

In flight, you should be monitoring your fuel to make sure that you will be able to land with at least the final reserve fuel + alternate fuel (if applicable). If you can't make it to your destination with final reserve fuel, it's time to divert. If you can't make it to anywhere with at least final reserve fuel intact, you need to declare an emergency.

Operators will have their own rules too. It's a 737 figure, but IIRC Ryanair require their pilots never to land with less than 2,000kg (might have been 2,300kg). That's quite a bit more than the ~1,400kgs you'd need for hold (without altn).

I think I heard of 8,000kg for the 777, but might be wrong.

One of my best buddies flies the 737 for Airtran. He says that they will be talking to the chief pilot if they don't have a good excuse for landing the bird with less than 4000 pounds of fuel.

Anything below 6kgs gets you a warning message of low fuel. I try to land with 10-12, maybe a little more depending on weather and winds/distance/etc. Keep in mind that different routes in reality have different circumstances that would make you load more fuel than normal. For example AeroLogic fly Leipzig to Milan but carry over 100kgs of fuel because it's cheaper than buying fuel in Milan for the long 2nd leg to Hong Kong.

Anything below 6kgs gets you a warning message of low fuel. I try to land with 10-12, maybe a little more depending on weather and winds/distance/etc. Keep in mind that different routes in reality have different circumstances that would make you load more fuel than normal. For example AeroLogic fly Leipzig to Milan but carry over 100kgs of fuel because it's cheaper than buying fuel in Milan for the long 2nd leg to Hong Kong.

That's not really reserve, though. What you've just described is tankering.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Under most flight planning rules (including EU-OPS, FAR Part 121 Flag Ops, CASA CAAP 234-1(0)), the requirement is to plan to land with at least 30 minutes reserve (calculated at 1500 ft above the aerodrome and at holding speed). 

For the 777-200LR/F, this comes out to be about 3500 kg at max landing weight. For flight planning purposes, there are some other considerations that need to be taken into account (contingency/variable reserve fuel, alternate fuel, etc.)

In flight, you should be monitoring your fuel to make sure that you will be able to land with at least the final reserve fuel + alternate fuel (if applicable). If you can't make it to your destination with final reserve fuel, it's time to divert. If you can't make it to anywhere with at least final reserve fuel intact, you need to declare an emergency.

That would be the correct answere!

And like david said....that is IN flight!

You cant plan and take off like that.

Minimum planning fuel depends on company rules and conditions the flight takes place in.

Rob Robson