Sign in to follow this  
ginger1

amber light and idle reverse

Hi,

Cant seem to find any infomation about this,Iam using pfc throttle quad,ihave engine thrust levers working ok,even the revverse thrust lever works except when deploying it the amber light just flashes and goes straight to green.

have tried callibration dosnt make any diference.

Wondered if any one has any ideas .

Thanks

Richard.

Hi,

ok,even the revverse thrust lever works except when deploying it the amber light just flashes and goes straight to green.

Do you mean REV indication above N1 setting? It' amber only when reverser sleeves are in transition and green when they are deployed.

I think he want to stay in idle reverse (amber stays on) .. rather than going to full reverse.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

thanks for reply,

should the amber light stay on for idle rev.mine just flashes and goes straight to green.i cant hold it on amber if that is what should happen?

rsvit,yes above N1 setting.

Thanks.

Amber means it's in transition. You can't hold it in amber unless something is broken.

Matt Cee

The "other" 737NG did a landing video .. demo of stopping distance using Idle Rev thrust (ambers REV indications stayed lit).

Best Regards,

The "other" 737NG did a landing video .. demo of stopping distance using Idle Rev thrust (ambers REV indications stayed lit).

The other 737NG is wrong. There is no way to command an intermediate position. The thrust reverser must either move to full reverse or stowed and lock in position to be safe.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I do not much about it .. except for the video I seen.

And, I just Googled "737NG idle reverse" and there are technical discussions about it and its / use /relation to stopping distance with various autobrake settings..

Some pilots mention never using full revers .. very often. Mostly idle reverse (specific range / like 21% to 25%N1) it was.

Best Regards,

Idle reverse means that the engine is at idle and the reverser is fully deployed. So the REV indications will be amber while it is in transit and green when it is fully deployed and locked.

Pilots often use reverse idle for stopping. You get some additional braking, but with reduced noise and less risk of damage from runway debris, compared to full reverse thrust. Selecting reverse ensures the speedbrake will deploy so reverse idle is better than forward idle. But it's important not to confuse reverser fully deployed and full reverse thrust.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The other 737NG is wrong. There is no way to command an intermediate position. The thrust reverser must either move to full reverse or stowed and lock in position to be safe.

First, do you still believe this?

Best Regards,

ok guys,so far i have found more information on this.

on landing throttles idle,lift reverse levers into first detent (reverse interlock) as reverser sleeves move out amber REV light above n1 until unlocked, then reverse levers can be moved to (second detent) or further up for more reverse when green REV light comes on.

What i am seeing is amber REV light flash on for a second then go straight to green.I just wondered should the amber light stay on till reversers unlock which i am sure takes longer than a second.

Hope this makes sence.

thanks

Richard.

It's not long from amber to green. Maybe 2 seconds tops, but it shouldn't just flash amber to green in a split second.

Matt Cee

What i am seeing is amber REV light flash on for a second then go straight to green.I just wondered should the amber light stay on till reversers unlock which i am sure takes longer than a second.

I've checked some videos and it's actually amber for 1-2 seconds.

First, do you still believe this?

I believe to FCOM which explains the correct behavior of reverser.

As long as you keep %N1 21-24 it stays in idle reverse (amber) .. until you select full  full reverse.

Best Regards,

As long as you keep %N1 21-24 it stays in idle reverse (amber) .. until you select full full reverse.

What makes you think this? Idle reverse is a power setting, it means the reverser is deployed and engine is idle. The indication will be momentarily amber then green.

ki9cAAb.jpg