Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flightsim777

Freeze during start.

Hello, up until yesterday FSX had been running rather well, when I fired up FSX today for a KMCO- KEGE route I had a black screen where the aircraft usually spins, when I went to start the flight it would start loading somewhere around 90% and freeze at 100%, from there FSX goes unresponsive to all commands and has to be closed through task manager, this problem has persisted through several FSX restarts, a re-install of SP1 and SP2 and an FSX repair cycle.

Thank you.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This will happen when you have a lot of programs running in the background.  This is why I use Scenery Config Editor, a utility where I can activate/deactivate scenery before I even start up FSX.  I have mainly photoscenery installed and, if I have it all activated in the Scenery Library, it will all load even if I'm not going there in my flight plan.  This brings a system with a lot of photoscenery down to its knees.  So, if you are running fsx and hear a lot of commotion going on with your SSD/HDD's, then that's what is happening.  In the scenario I just described, I can make a black screen where the aircraft should be spinning 100% of the time if I have all of my scenery enabled.  It will also happen when you select an aircraft and then immediately go to select your starting location.  You'll have to wait for about 15 minutes before the black screen goes away and you can see your aircraft spinning and you can now go in and select the beginning location of your flight. 

I don't know what kind of system you have.  I have a very powerful Haswell i7 4770K system.

You might want to also look in your Event Viewer/Administrative Events and see what problems your computer is experiencing.

You can also download and run AppCrashView and see if any crashes were reported recently.

I have also seen where IE10 will bring down FSX if you have IE10 loaded in the background, especially if you have several Tabs open.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

I suggest looking into this:

I do not have a computer dedicated to flight simulation.  So on my system I have a separate Windows User set up for when I fly FSX.  For that User I have reduced to a minimum the number of items that load when Windows boots.  No email to autofresh, no printer or scanner driver, no thumb drives, no auto answer fax program, no AntiMalwareBytes, no Windows Updates.  Nothing!  Then without exception I reboot into that user before starting FSX, which I then routinely start from REX E+ after I create my route in REX E+.  So I have absolutely nothing running in the background other than my Anti virus program and other essentials such as REX E+,  I do also start SPAD to control my Saitek Multi-Panel once REX E+ and FSX are up and running.

The reboot process takes less time than what I recall spending on a preflight walkaround check of my aircraft IRL.  It is well worth the time and effort.

Consistent with one of Jim's recommendations, I also before rebooting start FSX and pare down the number of Scenery Library selections to just those needed for my route of flight and alternates.  

I use an Android tablet connected to my home network as my virtual kneeboard and with it can check weather, view approach charts and my FltPlan.com flight plan, check email, and do any time sensitive web browsing I need to do during the flight.  Of course all of that without getting distracted from my PIC duties and responsibilities. 

Thanks, it appears the sceneries was the cause, also I will look into that extra user account as that seems to be a rather good idea.

Thanks for posting your solution.  Hopefully it will help others.

Best regards,

Jim