Sign in to follow this  
FloG

Some clarification/explanation needed, please!

Today a discussion about an addon that was currently on sale turned into a discussion about the forum rules, in particular about the part about posting sales anywhere else than in the bargain basement.

Obviously it is not allowed to post a vendor's name, link the that vendor's site or even mentioning the price (but not actually noting that the addons is on sale in general), but this rule seems not to be clear to everybody. I found myself in surprise when I read Jim's (firehawk44) post about this being forbidden. I have then tried to find where this rule is actually posted, but have not found it. The only reference I found is Tom Allensworth's post pinned on top of the FSX forum, but this post is quite unprecise, it does in no way say what "posting sales" actually means. Could this post possibly be updated to include the exact rules, so that things like that will not happen again?

Of particular interest would be the following things:

1) What does posting about sales include? Is that simply a thread of "Addon X is on sale at store Y", or is that more (it is now quite clear that it is more, so what exaclty is allowed in a thread outside the Bargain Basement?)

2) What would be the best way to proceed if you want a discussion about an addon currently being on sale? I know that the Bargain Basement actually gives the chance to discuss addons, but this seems not to be a popular mehtod for wahtever reason. Besides, most bargains are posted by a vendor with a certain reputation, which I believe makes discussions there even less attractive (at least that's my opinion).

3) What if you mention a sale (but not state where/what price, this seems to be allowed), and others ask about this sale - is posting a bargain in the appropriate place and then providing a link to this bargain in the thread a legitimate solution?

Thanks in advance for your help, I hope you can shed some light at this subject.

Kind regards,

Florian

P.S.: A special "Thank you" to Jim, for taking the time explaining why he did what he did in the thread - you are a great moderator, I appreciate your work and effort very much!

I second every bit of Florian's enquiry. On top of Florian's questions:

- If inapppropriate posts are not just hidden, but also warnings and bans can be issued, shouldn't that be mentioned in Tom's pinned topic?

- Discussions of addons must (ouch!) still be possible taking prices into account: Any discussion of "Is it worth it?" would be futile without voicing the amount of money that equals the benefit of the product in question (that's subjective, of course .. like any other opinion uttered).

And yes, it's greatly appreciated Jim took his time to explain his moderating action!

Thank you, Oliver, I was just aout to 'bump' it myself, but you were faster.

In general I would favour an ability to post info about a vendor or product sale as long as you are not the person selling the products or in anyway affiliated with the people doing the sale. 

Short time sales do not make the articles list and it is quite possible to miss an opportunity unless you subscribe to the myriad of sites that will send you emails.  And then you get tons of emails, like I currently do, some 50 a day from all the places I "subscribe" to.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

In general I would favour an ability to post info about a vendor or product sale as long as you are not the person selling the products or in anyway affiliated with the people doing the sale. 

Short time sales do not make the articles list and it is quite possible to miss an opportunity unless you subscribe to the myriad of sites that will send you emails.  And then you get tons of emails, like I currently do, some 50 a day from all the places I "subscribe" to.

+1

Seems a sensible approach to me.

But this should be done only in the appropriate place, which is the Bargain Hunter's Shack - at least that's what I understand. This way, we could have all the "relevant" info bundeled in one place making it easier to follow than when you have to search for such hints all over the forums.

But this should be done only in the appropriate place, which is the Bargain Hunter's Shack - at least that's what I understand. This way, we could have all the "relevant" info bundeled in one place making it easier to follow than when you have to search for such hints all over the forums.

+1

I'd still like to know how to handle "Is it worth it?" discussions regarding sales: A Captain Sim B777 at EUR 50 may require a different answer than at EUR 9.99 ...