Sign in to follow this  
Guest isaacn

Speech recognition for ATC (VoxATC)

Guest isaacn

I stumbled accross www.voxatc.com a few days ago following a very brief mention in a magazine recently. Basically the program replaces the default MS ATC with a system using the MS speech recognition/text-to-speech engine to give (an allegedly) more interactive experience. I have downloaded the time/location limited demo, but before parting with my hard earned cash I wonder if anyone else has tried it and has an opinion ?I have tried a few trips and am quite impressed. Normal speech seems pretty reliable and good speeds, and although the atc read-back uses the rather machine-like tts voices it is not too intrusive. The system mimics other traffic, and at a busy airport you have to be quick to get a word in. The manual recommends turning the actual AI traffic to 0 so it looks very sparse out of the window, but having to keep up with a very close real-world atc system means there is less time for eye candy viewing.My 1st thoughts, any other comments welcome.

It seems promising. I also would like to know more about it. Maybe AVSIM could do a review on it? I am curious how it affects the flightsim performance, and whether it also takes the AI traffic into account.Allard

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Guest byoung

I would like to know more as well.Barry

Guest ponyboy

It seems the general evolution is to incorporate this feature in some manner. It would be nice if they could merge it so it would work with the FS ATC so we could hear "real" sounding voices.I think we are waiting for you isaacn to try it first (guinni pig), and give us a report. ;)

Guest Bud

I've been waiting for this for a while. Currently I use GC3, but this seems on the face of it to be a better option. I think I'll give it a try. I suppose it may be possible to retain the default ATC and have it tuned to COM 2 as is the case using Radar Contact. My real doubt about it is that it won't recognize the AI traffic and I'll end up with the nasty accidents I used to have using RC3!Bud

>It seems promising. I also would like to know more about it.>Maybe AVSIM could do a review on it? I am curious how it>affects the flightsim performance, and whether it also takes>the AI traffic into account.Well, considering that he just said that the manual recommends turning AI to ZERO would imply that it doesn't take "AI traffic into account." :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest christianholmes

I'm a complete proponent of speech rec, especially in FS. It boggles the mind why it wasn't implemented in FS9. It is BUILT IN XP. It works in Word, Notepad, Outlook- you name it. Full dictation and text-to-speech right out of the box. It would have been SO easy for MS to implement it kind of ####### me off. Take a look at ATC Simulator and you will be amazed at how much it adds to the experience. Sorry just ranting... Anyway, if it does work with AI and ATC, I'd try it.

Ok, this topic I know a bit about from the Speech recognition area.While the following won't do as much as the above payware program will, you can turn over quite a few commands to Shoot, instead of typing or clicking buttons.I use a Program called Shoot 1.6.4, a 100% FREEWARE Program that allows you to integrate speech recognition into your gaming experience.It is based upon the 100% FREE Speech engine provided by those charitable folks at Microsoft. (Thanks Bill).It may not contain as much alleged functionality as some of the payware programs, but hey this one is FREE. In order to get up and running, you need the follwing:******************File Requirements:This file was tested on WindowsXP Professional and may not work with other operating systems.Prerequisite Programs required for proper use of this file:1) Microsoft .Net Framework - Download here if needed:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en2) Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1 - Download here if needed:http://download.microsoft.com/download/spe...SpeechSDK51.exe3) Microsoft DirectX 8.1 or Higher - Download here if needed:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search....en&categoryid=24) SHOOT 1.6.4 Speech Recognition Program by Martin Traverso FREE for non-commercial use- Download here:http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/dow...shoot-1.6.4.zip(Commands may not work with prior versions or other specch software. Don't risk messing up your system.)5) Microphone and Speakers - Or a Headset. I use a headset, a Logitech with noise cancelling Mic, and Stereo, and have found this program works great for me. It will work without these, but a headset is preffered. FREEWARE ROCKS. I have lowered the sound volume on the 4 commands at the bottom of the .xml file. Feel free to raise them or play around if you like. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:**************************(IF YOU HAVE CHANGED ANY OF THE DEFAULT KEY COMMANDS UNDER OPTIONS, CONTROLS, ASSIGNMENTS, INSIDE MSFS2004, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU PRINT UP YOUR kneeboard_keys.htm file. It should be located inside your AIRCRAFT Folder. Compare those assignments to what I have enclosed in the msfs2004.html file. Some may be Different! You have been advised!)A) Install Microsoft DirectX 8.1 or Higher (If Not Previousely Installed):( Install The Microsoft .Net Framework (If Not Previousely Installed) DO NOT Install a Beta version of .netC) Install The Microsoft Speech Recognition SDK 5.1 (If Not Previousely Installed)D) Install SHOOT 1.6.4 per the Instructions:E) Place the file msfs2004sonar5.xml into your Profile directory, which is in the Shoot hierarchy of your installation.example: D:!Downloads!MSFS2004!Voice RecognitionShootprofilesF) Load up the enclosed msfs2004.html in your Firefox Browser. What's that. You use Internet Explorer. Shame on you. You should use Firefox. It is both faster and better, IMHO than IE. Automatically prevents pop-ups. You can get it here:http://mozilla.org/firefoxAnyway, I digress. Once you load up the file in your Browser, print the file. This will serve as your CHECKLIST KEY for the Phrases that you need to say to execute the commands within the program. G) Complete Microphone Setup and Training within Shoot Program. (The ability of the Speech Engine to recognize your voice is directly related to the amount of training that you complete. IE: The MORE Training you do, the better it will recognize your voice. H) Start SHOOT Program. Locate the file msfs2004sonar5.xml and load as a profile. By default the CAPS LOCK Key is the Pust to talk toggle for the program. By default it is turned ON. You may also want to add a Push to talk toggle on a Yoke, If you have one. That is what I did. You may find instructions for that here:http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/documentation.php *********ACCOLADES*********Thanks to Martin Traverso at gameClubCentral for creating the FREE for non-commercial use SHOOT Program. If you enjoy the program, you can thank him by making a donation here:http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/donations.php Thanks to Microsoft for creating the Speech recognition Engine, and allowing developers to take advantage of it.Thanks to me for spending many hours hand coding these commands so you can enjoy MSFS2004. If you like the Profile, let me know here:sonar5jr@yahoo.comIf you have any questions about how this thing really works, seek me out at Avsim or at My forums, and I'll do my best to get you up and running.So There. Enjoy!!Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Hi allhere is a pirep !I have been using VOXATC all day now and am VERY impressed indeed.If you can get past the atc having microsoft robotic voices, the speech recognition after training is 99% for me.The program itself is well thought out, if biased towards US procedures (FSS etc)The authors have been VERY helpful with a couple of small problems I had (now resolved)Its great practice for pilots in RT ..you have to get the phraseology right, but this is prompted for you if you wish in a window.It does not handle built in AI , but generates fictitious calls to its own aircraft ...no big dealIts very immersive once you get used to it , and really increases your cockpit worload to real world standards..I would highly recommend the program...all the best

So we have the following.Original Author has two posts total, and then you come in with a glowing review after having signed up just today. In addition, another poster talks about poster number 1, and that person (Ponyboy) has 3 posts total and has a link in his signature that links to a place where a prominent link at the bottom of his page links to a speech recognition solutions company called terakeet.Ponyboy Link:http://www.milehighproductions.ahost4free.com/Link at bottom of above page:http://www.terakeet.net/hmmmmmmm..I just find that interesting.So do isaacnponyboy &vsukpadmanAll know each other? maybe note, hmmm..... very interesting coincidences, none the less.Do these individuals have any relationships with the payware company that sells this product that they might consider disclosing?No requirement to do so, of course, but it is something I consider whenever I see any review, especially from a program I have not heard of before.You may highly recommend the program, but I think the prudent thing to do would be to see how many others that post here regularly have to say about it.The other interesting thing is your analogy of 99% after training. That is pretty high considering the complexity of speech recognition programs in general.Just a caution folks. Be wary of payware reviews showing up at websites, and the reviewees have a minimum number of posts, seem to have links back to the technology, and well just seem a bit out of the normal reviews we see here from time to time.In a sense... Buyer beware....Now it may be a great product, who knows. Me. I think I will pass for now.Maybe the supporters of this product can link to some reviews by other sites. that would be a help, I think.Regards,Joe

Joe..I have NO idea what you are getting at.. I had never heard of the program , or the author , till this thread..I paid for the program and tried it...that was my pirep.If you think there is an ulterior motive , I can assure you there is not..As for the 99% recognition...sorry about that..I will lie next time..why do we bother reporting back ..as people asked for...With cynics like you , who needs honest reporting...I am perfectly free to recommend the program , unless the rules have changed without me spotting it?

Guest Bud

BillI suspected that this prog would not handle the built in AI - this is a pity and can lead to problems. I note in the manual that the recommendation is to turn off AI, but is this absolutely necessary. Is it possible to leave the AI in place and 'listen in' by tuning COM 2 for the default and COM 1 for Vox ATC?Bud

You said:"I am perfectly free to recommend the program , unless the rules have changed without me spotting it?"Yes you are, I agree with that 100%, as I am also able to reflect my observations as well.I just take new poster reviews of new products with a grain of salt. I'm just cautious that way. It's just me.I was just noting the coincidence of it all. It is interesting.As for being a cynic, when I see a website with absolutely NO names attached to a product at their website, I also become a bit suspicous.I also wonder when it is a BRAND NEW Domain.....Domain Name: VOXATC.COM Registrar: TUCOWS INC. Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com Name Server: NS1.LIVEDNS.CO.UK Name Server: NS2.LIVEDNS.CO.UK Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK Updated Date: 19-nov-2004 Creation Date: 16-nov-2004 Expiration Date: 16-nov-2005Interesting how you are from London, and this is a UK domain reg.I guess all these coincidences are just that. Well, I hope you enjoy your purchase, and happy flightsimming.Regards,Joe

isaacn wrote:>I stumbled accross www.voxatc.com a few days ago following a>very brief mention in a magazine recently. Hi,Ok, They have a brand new domain, according to network Solutions, and you say you found it by being mentioned in a magazine recently.So what Magazine specifically was it in, please?Does it offer a review?I would be very interested to read some reviews, especially if it is already been in a magazine and all.Thanks,Joe

Hello,I read this post, bought the product and am using it right now. I am just a sim pilot, buy a lot of payware and usually wind up not using most of them (other than the Aircraft!I use VoiceBuddy so my system is quite "trained" for voice recogition. My NEWBIE observations so far are:1. Very easy to install 2. Reads ALL of your FS2004 data (A/C scenery, etc during setup.3. Has a Flite Plan "Trainer" that reads a flight plan file and lets you "train" the Voice Regognition program so ALL of the data can be understood (such as a really obscure Airport Names I guess???)4. Starts from a menu selection in the MS2004 Menu5. Runs a Window (if you need it) that prompts you with info and Response data.6. Does NOT run with MS2004 AI or ATC.SO far, it has recognized and responded correctly to ALL of my voice interactions. I got a few "say agains" but I get that on IVAO also. I flew a sample flight that comes with the program and it was very intense (for me). I'm not really good at this yet but I am trying to fly more "real" controlled flights on IVAO and this is really going to help me. I tried RC3 and it was fine but it does not let me speak to the controllers, etc. The voice interaction in this program, while limited to the Microsoft robotics, is really great - for me!I use a GOFLIGHT setup and CH Yoke/Pedals. The push-to-talk is setup from the program and I made it the "Left" side button on the yoke at my finger. When I tried to interupt an ongoing dialog between the program and another aircraft, I get static and have to resend my response.I would say that the real downside, so far, is the robotic voices and the lack of AI integration. However, I would hope that with more users and responses, the product could be advanced to do much more. Thanks in advance to all who have helped me on this forum,Ron SagelNear KCHS