Sign in to follow this  
qwertyytrewq01943

How do you plan an accurate transatlantic flight in FSX?

Whenever I fly transatlantic flights from Miami to London for example and I click High Altitude airways it takes me on a route which heads south for about 2,500 miles to a place between Africa and South America, then it turns sharply North to London which makes the route a lot longer than it should be turning a flight which is 8hrs 45min in real life into a 13hr sometimes into a 14hr flight which is inaccurate. Sometimes when I fly from KJFK to London it takes me to Alaska and then sharply turns to London instead of taking me directly across the Atlantic Ocean. It is also tedious and annoying to drag the line onto the intersections, waypoints, and VORs that would make it look like a more realistic route. Is there a place I can download more realistic routes or any addons to FSX which fixes this?

Thanks

Get a flight planner that shows airways, and other navigation data, there are quite a few

around and perhaps someone in this Forum can recommend one.

Get the planner to create a Great Circle Route or and automatic one. Once you have this

visit the page that shows the current NAT tracks http://blackswan.ch/nat/ and find the entry point nearest to your provisionary flight plan then fine tune first part of your plan up to that entry point ensuring it follows airways (say KMIA to NAT entry point) then look at the NAT exit point and work out the shortest route to your destination, say EGLL.

There are also some online and offline alternatives such as Route finder, Vroute, etc. and also here in Avsim there is a Flight Plan Forum, full of very helpful members where you can request real life validated FPs.

If your intention is to create a validated FP be warned that Europe airspace is complex and full of airway restrictions, etc. - FP creation is a skill you will learn by doing over a period of time and using adequate tools for this purpose.

Regards

I suggest you use:

1)

http://www.eurofpl.eu/finder#lowpanel

or

2)

http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/

Which will give you current used routing. Today for example for KMIA to EGLL:

VALLY STIFF SNAGY M203 SELIM M203 BOBTU RAFIN NATW ATSUR EVRIN UL607 NUMPO UP2 OKESI Y3 BEDEK OCK2F

That of course requires you to have current Navigation Data installed.

Hope this helps.

Silicus

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I suggest you use:

1)

http://www.eurofpl.eu/finder#lowpanel

or

2)

http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/

Which will give you current used routing. Today for example for KMIA to EGLL:

VALLY STIFF SNAGY M203 SELIM M203 BOBTU RAFIN NATW ATSUR EVRIN UL607 NUMPO UP2 OKESI Y3 BEDEK OCK2F

That of course requires you to have current Navigation Data installed.

Hope this helps.

Silicus

Thanks for responding. I have looked at the flightaware site in the past, but how do i input the waypoints into the flight planner in FSX?

There is a way to manually build a transatlantic route using the FSX Flight Planner, but it is very tedious and time consuming.  There are ways to get the route into FSX without using the FSX Flight Planner.  

Like Silicus said, for a realistic route, check www.flightaware.com.  For example, today I see that British Airways flight 9153 is on its way from KMIA to EGLL, using:  

VALLY NUCAR A699 LOUIZ A699 SUMRS M204 BEXUM M204 SOORY 4300N 05000W 4700N 04000W 4900N 03000W 5000N 02000W SOMAX ATSUR GAPLI UL620 GIBSO M17 BILNI

you have two freeware options:

1. www.simroute.com.  Click on "Generate Routes."  Enter KMIA on Departure, and EGLL on Arrival, and then copy/paste the route from flightaware in Route.  Click on the Generate Route button and you will see a page that has all kinds of information about the route.  In this page you can select the aircraft type, estimated True Airspeed, and the format you want to use to save the flight plan (FSX, FS9, etc.)  You can even see your route plotted in a map at the bottom of the page.  Once you select the flight plan format, cilck on Download Flightplan and it will download a flight plan file to your computer.  You can then load this flight plan from FSX.  
  2. www.vroute.net.  Download their "standard" or freeware program, and use it in a similar fashion as above, to generate a new route.  A good thing about this program it gives you access to lots of ready-to-use routes, but you can also make your own.  Like simroute.com, you can use this program to save a flight plan in FSX format.  

Hope this gets you going.  Let us know if you are still interested in using the FSX Flight Plan to manually create a transatlantic route.  It will require good knowledge of lat/lon, other helper web sites, and tons of patience.  

Regards,

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library