Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan_A

Adjusting overclock for hyperthreading?

I understand that Prepar3d 2.0 will be able to take advantage of hyperthreading.  Therefore I'm considering enabling hyperthreading on my system, where it's currently set to "off" per the current best advice about FSX.

If I experiment with hyperthreading. what adjustments to my overclock should I anticipate?  Will hyperthreading simply add heat?  Will it require additional voltage?  Any other likelyy tweaks? 

My specs are listed under "My PC" in the left margin so you'll know what my baseline is.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Apologies for the duplicate post - I was posting just as the forum had its hiccup and apparently things got doubled.  Mods - please kill the other post and just leave this thread.  Thanks!

The overcloker's bible says to start from scratch if you want to engage HT.

I think the logic is that there is just too much variability between individual CPUs to guarantee a standard conversion formula.

Logically I guess you would expect to end up with lower voltages and CPU speed for a maximum OC.

gb.

Thanks, gboz - I thought that might be the case.  

Always better to be careful and systematic.

I think what I may do is start with my current setup as a baseline - a direct comparison between FSX and P3D v2 at comparable settings.  Then, if early adopters report that hyperthreading helps or if they recommend other hardware or BIOS changes, I can make them then... one at a time, of course...  B)

Thanks for the good counsel.

With my 4770K, enabling HT adds between 5 - 8C to my CPU temps when running heavy stress tests. Other than that, haven't noticed any negative side effects.

Thanks, JimmiG.  If my system follows the same pattern, then I'm in good shape.  I've got plenty of thermal overhead - my chip (a 3770K) is very temperamental about clock speed and voltage, there's a very narrow band of tolerance, but as far as heat is concerned I've got a long way to go.  So that's hopeful news.  Maybe in the next few days I can run a test drive and see... B)