Sign in to follow this  
padolamap

beta tester consultation with ATI video card

I wonder what is your experience in this new version, and be on ATI video cards

I have a Radeon HD 6800 with 1024 MBytes RAM.

So far so good but I do have some FPS issues when enabling full shadows.

Thanks Zeus67 ;) I had the same question... only talk about nVidia, and who have AMD doesn't know how is the performance.

I think the 6800 having issues with full shadows is more likely to do with it being a low-mid end GPU rather than it being an ATI card. LM recommend either an R9 ATI, akin to a 7900 series or something like a 770 or 780 Nvidia GPU.

Out in the 'real' world so to speak these two GPU manufacturers trade blows with each other and maybe now we'll get that parity in flight simming too.

The problem with the 6800 is the lack of VRAM. 

Shadows and resolution are heavily dependent on VRAM.

Indeed... I hope there are no issues with the 7800 :D

Personally I doubt there will be. The problem is that the rendering, at heart, is basically 10years old and things have moved on in that time.

If you are going to use one panel 1920X1080 you can't beat an AMD R9 280X 3GB for $300. :rolleyes:

If you are going to use one panel 1920X1080 you can't beat an AMD R9 280X 3GB for $300. :rolleyes:

IF P3D v2 lives up to expectations i'll be looking at one of them to upgrade from my 660. Though here in blighty, that's the UK, they're about £250, thats $375 equivalent. :(

I am also curious how AMD will perform. I own the GTX580 now and have used nVidia cards ever since I can remember. But the top AMD cards are cheaper than the top nVidia cards and if they perform just as well, I might get me one of those R9 cards.

I have my i5 2500K running at 4.5 GHz so I think I would have more benefit from a GPU upgrade: newer CPU's can't often get to 4.5 (although of course they perform better on lower speeds). However, buying an entire new system feels a bit like overkill...

In the days of the GTX580 the AMD drivers were crap. They are't anymore.

Your 2500k@4.5 GHz is great, no need to change.

Matt

In the days of the GTX580 the AMD drivers were crap. They are't anymore.

Your 2500k@4.5 GHz is great, no need to change.

Matt

Thanks for the info. This means that if my current PC can't get enough out of P3D 2.0 I will first see what a new GPU will do and from now on I will also consider AMD!

Thanks for the info. This means that if my current PC can't get enough out of P3D 2.0 I will first see what a new GPU will do and from now on I will also consider AMD!

I've also got a 2500k at 4.7ghz.

I'm leaving it alone. Should be plenty of CPU for v2.

Running a nvidia 660ti right now but would like to switch...not just because amd is more affordable but they are more efficient at crypto currency mining.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering