Sign in to follow this  
kingm56

Rain/Hail in clear sky conditions

Team,

First, allow me to congratulate you on an outstanding product.  During testing, I'm finding almost all your claims to be accurate!  However, I have noticed one disparity.  Specifically, I still encounter rain/hail conditions during periods of clear skies (see attached pictures).  Perhaps I need to alter my settings?  Regardless of this condition, I still plan to procure this product; anyone reading this, I recommend you do the same...fantastic wx engine!  

post-160227-0-96683900-1386954235.jpg

post-160227-0-33970300-1386954257.jpg

Matt King

I would guess that if you looked at the weather radar you would find that you are either just leaving or just entering a rain cell. ASN is pretty accurate in that respect.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The sky doesnt look that clear in those pics.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

It is actually possible to get hail in a clear sky. The updraft can be so severe that hail is actually "thrown out" of the cloud to come down miles away, but, I doubt that's modeled. :D

If there are precipitation conditions, the rain will fall from the clouds.  So in these cases you are under the clouds.  If the clouds are broken/scattered, then the rain will fall when under cloud, and stop when you or the cloud moves away.  You can actually watch clouds pass overhead and the rain will start/stop accordingly. Check the radar/map base reflectivity and you can confirm the precipitation.  This is all extremely accurate.

Yes, tstorm cloudtop hail effects are indeed simulated, but you still have to be fairly close the the "anvil".

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies