Sign in to follow this  
anthony_d

Contributions submitted to Robin

Evening all,

I've been busy since the release of 10.25.

Prior to 10.25 I've submitted the following airports which you can goto right now.

Mount Pleasant, Falkland Islands

San Marino Aeroclub - works best with Alpilotx's new mesh - NEW to global airports database.

Liechtenstein Heliport

Monaco Heliport.

Since the release of 10.25, I've submitted the to Robin

Andorra La Massana Heliport -  NEW, but somewhat tragic that this sits on slope, rather than a terrace.

Humberside (EGNJ)

Isle of Man (EGNS)

Guernsey (EGJB)

Colonsay (EGEY)

Tiree (EGPU)

Coll (EGEL) - NEW Airport in Global airports Database

Barra (EGPR)

Benbecula (EGPL)

Stornoway (EGPO)

Isle of Skye Broadford

Plockton

Glenforsa - Isle of Mull

Dundee

Inverness

I'm hoping they'll appear in the next release.  I'll try and get some screenshots of each (can't right now since I'm flying my 757). 

Inverness is on my todo list for making some custom buildings.  There's a file on the org for Inverness right now, but it's looking basic and "old hat" so I reckon I can do it better.

Some of the airports (e.g. Humberside) I've noticed a user called Renair as released his own version to the org.  So it seems like I have some competition!  But, everyone gets my contribution.

Wow! With a couple hundreds of users like you, we'd have global airport coverage in one year! :smile:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Well done Anthony

I also released my first airport just a couple weeks back and am on target for 2 more very soon. Looking good for a populated Xplane :smile:

Hi,

great effort, Anthony, thanks!

I am also adding airports in my home province of Hessen, Germany. I am trying to add all airports, from the smallest glider field with a shabby hangar to the bigger ones with lots of features.

I do spend a lot of time correcting users submissions that are downright false. People adding full lighting to tiny airports, inaccurate and shoddy taxiways, etc.

There is currently no process in place to ensure the quality of the submissions so PLEASE everyone, check what you make before uploading to Robin. Look at the airports day and night, check with real data off of the internet and google earth, fly some approaches, taxi around...

Don´ t put in inaccurate markings. Dont put in lighting that isn´t there. Don´t put taxiways over the runways. Make sure you can see the VASI while on approach. Provide correct airport boundaries. Provide correct exclusion zones.

If you are not 100% sure about what you are doing I guess its fine to plop down a hangar or two - just don´t mess with the layout of the airside structures (runways, taxiways, navigational facilities).

It makes XP10 look really bad if a little back-of-the-woods airport like EDFL suddently has approach lights, touchdown zone lights, etc. And it´s easy to go to Robins website and see who **** it up. I don´t want a wall of shame, just do your best and don´t submit if you are not sure of what you are doing.

Thanks, Jan

I do spend a lot of time correcting users submissions that are downright false. People adding full lighting to tiny airports, inaccurate and shoddy taxiways, etc.

Hello Janov

I have found similar issues. Maybe some of them is just the default and not a contributed work, either way I found on occasion it was simpler to delete everything except the rwy and start anew.

Here's a couple of examples of the smaller airports:

Isle of Skye Broadford.  Very undeveloped, basically it's a runway with a pile of gravel by the side.  I tried to bring out the character of this airfield as best as I could with the tools provided by wed.  It's still used by private pilots, and there's even talk of upgrading it to accommodate a scheduled service to Glasgow in the future.

post-258580-0-00942100-1387198339.jpg

Coll.  A *very* small airport.  Nothing more than a house, carpark and airside.  The public road I can do nothing about - it's actually a single track road in real life.  But this is what I'm able to achieve with the tools I've got.  It's not bad, and certainly a lot better than no objects at all.  And it's accurate to where things are placed in real life.

post-258580-0-96416100-1387198362.jpg

The public road I can do nothing about - it's actually a single track road in real life. 

If you completely want to do away with it, place an exclusion zone underneath your airport and mark "roads" as one of the items to exclude.

Every airport should have exclusion zones, all too often we get buildings or trees on the runway with updates to the default terrain, an exclusion zone keeps those off the airport property.

I had just been using an exclusion zone for what I need to remove. It seems the ideal might be an exclusion zone along with the boundary in case of future xplane updates. I'll have a look at that later.

If you completely want to do away with it, place an exclusion zone underneath your airport and mark "roads" as one of the items to exclude.

Every airport should have exclusion zones, all too often we get buildings or trees on the runway with updates to the default terrain, an exclusion zone keeps those off the airport property.

I often do that, only problem is if you only want to remove a few metres of road, you find that several miles have disappeared.  Anyway,  I guess that's a discussion for the scenery design forum.