Sign in to follow this  

Workaround for CTD with add-on planes and switching screen modes?

Mike from A2A posted this on the A2A C172 forum:

"Those experiencing crash on window resize, please disable "mipmap VC Panels" in P3D options."

I haven't been able to test this myself yet ('m not at home and don't have add-on planes installed) but some of you may want to give this a try. Those who did on the A2A forum said it worked.

I wonder though if this doesn't make the panels look like crap…? I have no clue what mipmap does for VC Panels...

I am one that saw Mike's post and posted on A2A that it works perfectly. I did a panel view this morning with the A2A C172 in full-screen with mipmap on and off and could see no difference, to my old eyes anyway. It really works well for me - Thanks again, Mike!

Lyn

Good to hear! I'd still like know what mipmaps exactly do then…!

I wonder though if this doesn't make the panels look like crap…? I have no clue what mipmap does for VC Panels...

Supposedly it will make your cockpit look clearer/sharper. I don't think it is as relevant as it used to be, and not all textures contain MipMaps.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

the mjc8q400 needs it though

Ok, well, it IS a workaround, of course: LM will still need to fix this. 

I think the thought behind MipMaps is that it will allow textures that are MipMapped to have priority over other textures to make sure they stay sharp, even though the GPU might run into trouble. MipMapping textures will make them bigger in size, so it is usually reserved for important textures, like cockpit interiors and instruments. It would be a disaster if your cockpit experienced blurries too :)

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, it's been 10+ years since I read up on MipMaps :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Mipmap is generally used to load lower resolution texture when we are at a certain distance from the object. I see clearly it could be a performance gain for sceneries but In VC, I'm not sure of the gain we can have except if there is special texture if we close up on some instruments and LM want them to be sharp in close view.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Does this mean MipMaps function like they actually should now? FSX's handling of MipMaps was a joke at best.. No amount of Negative LOD Bias ever made them actually function correctly and most developers just skip them all together.. All repaint guides specifically tell you to not save textures with them.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors