Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

ASN Fantastic!

Three Amazingly Excellent ASN features, which I had to have for keeps after 2 days in the demo period:

1. Fly into a dense cloud bank and it's instant white out with 0% visiblity; say good bye flying though verticle sheets of billboard clouds.

2. Tunable dynamic cloud radius, based on altitude and weather condition. This feature ROCKS beyond belief for it only render clouds which are visually meaninful for your situation. This has the potential for GREATLY improving performance and as far I can tell with my gtx 660 ti, my need for a better gcard solely to handle dense cloud cover may have just vanished. For the paces I've put it though...it works...my FPS is no longer plunging when flying through dense cloud layers..but then again future testing may change my mind on this.

3. The dreaded FSX haze layer has been conquered, that is if you ever care to enable it. For now it only appears ONCE YOU ARE ABOVE THE HAZE. I've wanted the feature since FSX released!!! BRAVO!!!!

Also, the depictions and effects are amazing...all these years wasted with substandard weather depiction and I didn't even know what I was missing....or did I just die and go to (FSX) heaven... :lol:

First time I hear praise of the no. 2 feature, which is also my no 1 favourite! Being able to tune the CDD without going to FSX menu, i so cool - and that's only when ASN doesn't do it for you automatically.... Just awesome. My own 660ti is lovin' it - da da da, da daaaaa...

Mas

Is everyone using REX cloud textures with ASN? Has anyone tried ASN with HDEv2, Oscar Clouds v4 or other texture sets with good results? I thought I read that ASN no longer includes its own textures.

Yep, I use REX with ASN.I welcome the fact that both HiFi and REX are producing separate texture and weather add-on's. makes everything much simpler. And simpler for the developer too, in terms of service packs hotfixes etc.

How is ASN on framerates with heavy overcast? I've seen several reviews saying that it can be very performance hungry.

If you have a weak system and use high density clouds, yes. I have no issues. So far the reports we've had about FPS hits mostly relates to excess cloud layers and high density 32bit x 4096 clouds.

That's the reason for the FREE 7 day trial - don't take anyone else's word - try it yourself on YOUR system. That's the ONLY way you will get a true answer.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I got it today. Came from Opus to ASN.

So far, I have only had two short flights in the NGX + some jerking around in the A2A Skyhawk using ASN. But I am impressed.

Flew in some nasty weather out of Bergen, Norway and the clouds were towering over me. The aircraft was jerking and bouncing, wings were flexing as the rain and snow showers passed by. Didn't pop out on top until FL250. Loved it..

Turbulence effects are really good. Better keep that fasten seatbelt sign on. 

Then, a big, menacingly looking CB was right in my flight path heading down to Copenhagen. Let me tell you. I quickly found myself switching from LNAV to HDG SEL to avoid that sucker. How often have I done that before? Never. 

Winds aloft were perfectly aligned to what I got from PFPX. 

And it is smooth, smooth, smooth on the frames. 

Ok, rant over.  :rolleyes:

ASN Team: Congratulations, well done!

And merry Christmas all