Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Why is the PMDG B772 Worth the Price?

And as I said the amount of automation is slim and you can actually do almost the same steps in the 777 as the 737ng. This whole debate is pointless. If your argument is "less automation" then you shouldn't be a fan of the ngx, you should be a fan of the DC-9 or similar.

I guess you are right that you can make the 777 less automated, but that's not the way the airplane is suppose to be flown. In the 777 all I need to do is put everything on auto/on turn the fuel control switches on and start both engines. In the NGX you need to change the bleeds, watch N2, do one engine at a time and one fuel control switch at a time. There is a lot more button switching, preflight preparing etc.. In the NGX. Both are different and I really enjoy both aircraft a lot.

To the OP for what you want to use the 777 for I would reccomend maybe not getting it. It's a long haul airliner. Not saying you ned to fly long haul but I couldn't imagine flying the 777 on 1hr trips all day. It's a very automated airplane and is not really meant to be flown on circuits etc.. The auto throttle is not even meant to be turned off. My shortest flight has been 5hr MIA-LAX longest almost 15hrs! HKG-IAD. I don't have a new top if the line system, don't OC my processor and so far in my 3 10hr+ flights no performance issues yet.

So do I think it is worth $90? Absolutely. It's the best Addon I have gotten yet with the NGX and Dash-8-400 in close 2nd and 3rd. But I love long haul flying, I like setting up the airplane in a long turn needing to accomplish all the preflight task involved with planning a flight across the ocean or the North Pole. But that's because it is great for what I enjoy doing. I wouldn't buy it to fly short legs and set it up on the active ready to go.

I do not have the 777, but while I'm sure it's an excellent addon, I really don't think it would be worth it for the type of flying you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After glancing at the QW $20 sale on their B752, and realizing the only tube I have that's not outdated is the B738, I think I'd like to fly something faster than the NGX. But it needs to have Navigraph support, which rules out the F18 Superbug I already own. Since we don't have any updated bizjets (I also own the C750) which would easily cruise mid mach .8 I am starting to think harder and consider the PMDG B772.

But golly, it's almost $90. Which is a lot to me because this tube thing isn't normally my type of flying. But the max cruise is around mach .89 - that's REALLY fast! When I fly it's online and I simulate being a bzillionaire with a private aircraft that I can fly fast fast fast. I don't care about entering the perfect CI for pax flying. I usually enter 80 in the B738! I will fly with the engine/s in the green but I like to push things.

You might think $90 is cheap - maybe dinner and a movie for two (something I rarely see anymore with my lovely kids around!) But I want to know why YOU think the PMDG B772 is worth the 89 greenbacks they ask!

If you could be specific - maybe it's something about the failure options you enjoy, perhaps the crystal clear text on the displays is the reason you parted with the money, or maybe it's just brand loyalty!

My thought process is to spend less than one fourth the price and end up with a fairly "lite" but speedy B752 or drop the big dollars on the B772.

Calling all PMDG phan bois - win me over!

look over at ADX they have an article about a challenger 605 that's gonna be freeware and has a great looking VC like as in carenado quality

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.