Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

How do we correct a missing ILS?

Guest Tomlin

How hard are used to place an ILS in FS2004 if it's missing, and what tools do I use? The specific ILS Im talking of is ILS RWY36R at KVQQ (Cecil Fld, Jacksonville FL) and also for KJAX ILS RWY13.Thanks,Eric T

Guest aca_dia

Looks like KVQQ probably did not have an active ILS when FS9 was being developed. It would be very easy and quick to ad one using Afcad.Douglas

Guest Tomlin

So, where is a good start to learn how to use AFCAD to do this? Isnt there a new freeware application that allows manipulation of scenery items in FS?

Guest paulri

AFCAD *is* freeware, get it from the Avsim library. File is afcad221.zip. I believe that is the latest version. Then read the readme file (long, but detailed) which will tell you exactly how to add/modify an ILS. Plus how to do lots of other stuff. Paul

You will need the newest version of AFCAD to do this. It is available here at AVSIM in the file library.For the information on the ILD system for that particular airpor. Go to [a href=http://www.airnav.com]Airnav[/a] and look up the airport. There will be a blue hyperlink in the runway information for the airport that says ILS or ILS/DME, or something simliar depending on the sytem type. Click on this and it gives you the entire details of the system.I used it to correct the incorectly placed ILS at Felts Field in Spokane. Felts Field has an ofset ILS with the localizer off to the side of the runway to bring you in away from the steep hillside that is about a 1/4 mile north of the field. The information gave me the lot lon cordinates for the localizer antenna which is at mid way alongside the runway to the north and the DME which is midfield. MSFS had placed the localizer and DME at the end of the runway like most standard ILS systems. I now have it correctly bringing you in at an angle.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

AFCAD does not/cannot add a ILS to FS2004. AFCAD only adds a ILS to AFCAD. What this means is AFCAD uses the

Guest NetBoyz

I believe you can create and edit navaids including ILS, VOR, NDB etc using a set of tools called EasyNav, freeware by Herve Sors, available on Avsim. Search for en2k400.zip . Dick Bixler

EasyNav extract's and edit's ILS, VOR, NDB and markers from FS2000 and FS2002 BGL files only (en2k400 means en2000 ver 4.00).FS2004 uses XML data and the BGLComp compiler to build a proper ILS and overlay on top of the cooresponding APxxxxxx.bgl. There is no utility available that writes XML approach data do to the complexity of the waypoints, FAF, IAF and the math theta/rho calculations that must be written from current approach plates. If this utility exsisted I would be using it for all my Active ILS Airports that I write in XML when adding new runways and ILS data for upload to AVSIM (KMCO, EHAM, LEBL, KIAH, etc.).

Guest Tomlin

Jim,Thanks for clearing things up somewhat. I didnt think that AFCAD would do the trick. However, do I hear you correctly, that you mean that as of now, there is no way to correctly install an ILS in FS2004? However, the explanation that John S Morgan (Sentirus?) gave seems like it worked for him. How do the scenery add-on developers do this? There must be a way for us to do this properly.thanks again,

Guest aca_dia

AFCAD does add the ILS, but FS9 ATC does not know it is there. Unless it requires RADAR to be flown you can just do it on your own nav.Douglas

Tomlin No scenery developer has done it. This is the problem with many freeware and payware scenery's. They sometimes write a bgl that renames runways and that totally messes up FS2004 (KMCO, KIAH, EHAM, KMIA to name a few) I have been developing the Active ILS Airport files now for more then 8 months and also have written ILS approachs for use with FlyTampa, FISD, Aerosoft's New Spanish Airports and SimFyers airport scenery.I do not write the XML code specificly for the scenery designers but only to correct what they cannot do so the enduser of FS2004 is not penelized when weather falls below 3 miles. KJAX has a ILS for runway 13 (FS9 default) but not for 31. Runway 31 at KJAX is a VOR and a RNAV/GPS approach as per airnav.com. I can however give you a ILS bgl file for KVQQ which will add the ILS to 36R. Again keep in mine that if you add the ILS with AFCAD that is only half of what FS2004 needs. The AFCAD will only set a localizer and GP freq. so your user airplane will see the ILS. FS2004/ATC does not see the new ILS and AI Traffic/User Airplane will still be instructed to land on the visual runway. When weather goes to minimums your new AFCAD ILS runway cannot be used by FS2004/ATC because the APxxxxxxxx.bgl file says there is no ILS present.I will go ahead and make the ILS bgl for KVQQ and will upload to AVSIM where all my ILS runways are at (FS2004/Misc section). If you have additional infomation that KJAX has installed a ILS for runway 31 I would need it to write the XML for that runway. Hope this answers some of your questions

Guest Kingair315

HI, Don't know if this will help, but I added a glide slope to the ILS for R24 at KFUL, using AFCAD2. All AI were still using R6, so closed R6 for takeoff, as prevailing winds at KFUL 90% or better are from the west. By doing this, all AI began using R24 for departures, so at least I was not meeting them head on. Now, when landing here, dont recall if I have ever used ATC, as am usually flying VFR, and just use the ILS to help find the airfield with an FSNav flightplan. Will make a flight today using ATC to see what happens. Bob

The payware Radar Contact (support forum here on AVSIM) ATC replacement uses its own database on runways and navaids. The are comma delimited text files that can be edited to add or delete ILS and localizers to runways. The format of the entries is available somewhere in the support forums. By using AFCAD2 and editing the runways text database (always make backups) this could provide a work around.Enhancements of Radar Contact pros and cons have already been discussed on these forums.

Guest flerman

I'm I to understand that one can create the correct overlay with XML to get FS2004 GPS and ATC to recognize newly created ILS(s) for an airport that was VOR and modified by creating an AFCAD file and activating it in a new layer?Could you indicate the step-by-step process from say a sample XML template and AFCAD bgl file, as well the steps in using the SDK BGLCompiler?It would be great to either modify or create a complete airport that is fully functional in FS2004. New ILS(s) used by the GPS unit and ATC, for example...Thanks JimFranck.:-eek

Correcting a missing ILS in FS9

:rolleyes:   At last after years i finally cracked this problem,the answer was in my utility file all along and fiddling about i found the solution in a file named................ILS_GPS_Approach_Creator_v 1.1 you need Afcad 221 to get the info and follow the instructions.  :Hug:  

Just remember to enter the Runways separately eg Rwy 6 and Rwy 24.  :drinks: