Sign in to follow this  

Hello,

I am a longstanding user of almost all activesky verslons. And so it came verf naturally to install and buy ASN.

But from day one I am experiencing problems to connect ASN, installed on my client PC, with FSX installed on my main rig.

Almost every time I want to run ASN, it will ask for the correct folder on the main PC. The asking in itself wouldn't be a problem

if it wasn't for the fact that pointing it to the right folder doesn't work...

One starts thinking about a problem with simconnect or the sharing of folders... But since activesky 2012 is also installed on that same

client pc, and since activesky does not show the same problem, I am wondering what is going on.

Can anybody shed a light on this.

All help appreciated!

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

I had exactly the same problem with AS2012 and ASN on the same client PC. I solved the problem by installing ASN on a second client with AS2012 residing on a separate client. If you don't have a second client, I'd be very interested in your ultimate solution as I prefer AS2012/ASN on the same client.

Well,

One solution seems to be starting as2012 first, letting it load completely, and then starting ASN.

Cumbersome but it seems to do the trick

But I would really like a solution without the workaround.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Try selecting each of your shared folders in windows explorer  ( Client ) first. Then load ASN. That is what works for me

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Badfinger,

Doesn't work here.

I have tried a number of possible solutions like starting client before server and the other way around but none of those

possible solutions seem to do the trick.

The weirdest thing is that all shares are working fine (and AS2012 starts completely normal and in full control of all shared folders)

The error states that I didn't select the proper folder, which is not correct, as if the program is looking for something specific and can't

find it in the selected folder.

Just weird

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Hi Luc,

for which folder does this happen? fsx installation folder or fsx app data path folder (or both)? You said the registry values are set correctly?

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Well, it happens only for the FSX app data folder and I assume that the settings in the registry are correct. Since as2012 doesn't have the same problem and is installed on the same clientPC, I think I can make that assumption.

There is one thing I have yet to check. Would it be possible that AS Next looks into the shared location, 'sees' a file belonging to AS2012 and halts without looking any further for the correct files????

Maybe I should remove any files from AS2012 from the serverPC and see what happens...

I am not ready to uninstall AS2012 completely from my clientPC (yet)

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Hi,

first, no you shouldn't make this assumption. The registry values are different. Please take a look at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HiFi\ASNFSX

See if the values there are stored ok. Alternatively, you can check this through ASN itself in the settings page.

If the registry values are actually ok, then may be the issue is the following:

ASN looks inside fsx app data path for the file wxstationlist.BIN. Is it there? Is it there when AS2012 is running/not running? Is it there when fsx is running/not running?

This has caused issues to at least one more user (for some reason the file was removed only when fsx was running). 

Thanks,

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Luc Brusselmans,

I had the same problems. "it will ask for the correct folder on the main PC".

Paths and share names can get "off" slightly .... like new LM path has a "2" in it,  etc.

Here is my current paths .. maybe to give you an idea to look for?

And your chosen network Share Names must be checked also using Windows Explorer, e.g.

post-140279-0-62096600-1388416021.jpg

post-140279-0-32697200-1388416031.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Vonmar,

I think I can safely say that there is something going on with the connection between ASN and FSX when installed on two different PC's over a network (in my setup).

I checked and double checked the connections, shared folders and the registry. There is nothing wrong there.

This is something I already expected because AS2012 is on the same client and uses the same shared folders as ASN and when checked inside windows explorer, I can both read and write to all shared folders. Also the file " wxstationlist.BIN" is present at the correct location.

What is exactly going on? I really don't know because no two startups of ASN are the same.

Sometimes ASN refuses to recognise the correct appdata folder when started BEFORE FSX, sometimes it refuses to recognise it AFTER I start FSX.

And that is not all. In quite a few cases, when it does recognise the correct appdata folder, it doesn't update the weather in FSX.

In the few instances that everything works from the start, restarting FSX breaks the connection and this can only be corrected by restarting ASN from scratch (which in most cases results in a appdata folder not recognised)

There is ONE thing that persists over all...

When I start AS2012 first and ASN afterwards, the appdata folder is recognised, at least untill I restart FSX  because then everything begins from the start... not recognising the appdata folder.

I give up.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Regedit on your client PC:

What data (paths) do you have in your registry for your AS2012?

What data (paths) do you have in your registry for your ASNext ?

My previous screenshots were for my AS2012 setup for pre /post P3D setup .. just to show folder routings.

Today I got a copy of my new paths for the FSX / ASnext setup for review ...

post-140279-0-16388100-1388502601.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Is the SP2 simconnect version installed on the client?

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png