Sign in to follow this  
larsumm

Projector

Hi all,

Anyone out there using a projecror instead of a monitor? If so, what kind and specs?

Larry

I have two projectors and they work quite well.  The first is a Vivitek Qumi Q2, which utilizes LED lighting which has a light source life of 25,000 hours, therefore you do not have to worry about replacing a bulb.  The second projector is an LG PA75U.  It also utilizes LED lighting and comes with Smart TV capabilities.  I need to add that both of these projectors require a relatively dark room.

I have only used one projector at a time, but last night I did hook up both projectors to my system just to execute a quick performance check.  This configuration seemed to have good performance on my system, but further testing is needed.  Hopefully the opportunity for more testing will happen this evening.

Also, the large image is impressive.  The projected image is approximately 100 inches and I have constructed a simple wrap around screen that gives me about a 110 degree field of view.  I still have some kinks to work out, but I am having fun refining the projection environment.  By the way, I was able to achieve a bit of motion sickness with the wrap around screen.  Quite immersive I must say.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I work in the audio video industry and own a home theater projector which I do not use for flightsimming. I have however worked with a bunch of different set ups and if I were to use a projector for flight simiming I would probably go with the Optoma EH500. It has plenty of lumens for use during the day and is native 1080p with relatively low cost for what you get.

When it comes to projectors the things you need to consider are the following:

1. what size screen are you shooting for and are there any limitations to the placement of the projector. (projectors with special lenses or wide range lenses tend to cost a lot more)

2. lighting condition. The absolute best picture in a projector set up will be with little to no ambient light in your environment. Remember your black level will only be as good as the lighting in the room allows. The darker the room the darker your black levels resulting in higher contrast. Some of the best home theater projectors tend to have lower lumens which helps maintain deep black levels and a very natural high contrast picture. However if you have a higher light level in your environment high quality home theater projectors will look terrible as they don't have the lumen output to compensate and you end up with a very low contrast picture. In the case of higher ambient light you would want to go with a projector that has a higher lumen output to compensate, this will give you more contrast in that environment. The downside to these higher lumen projectors is that when you do have a dark environment their picture tends to be washed out as they don't natively have the ability to produce deep black levels due to their brighter lamps. That Optoma EH500 I mentioned is a solid projector that has plenty of lumens for use in brighter light environments but can still look pretty descent in darker environments without being too washed out. There are other projectors like it but that's the one I have hands on experience with.

Im using a Benq short throw projector. Be warned if you go down that path you will NEVER be able to look at a pc screen again EVER! 

ZORAN

Im using a Benq short throw projector. Be warned if you go down that path you will NEVER be able to look at a pc screen again EVER! 

Very true.  I just set up dual projectors this evening and wow, what an experience.  The image with two projectors was twelve feet wide by a little over four feet tall.  I used a flat screen tonight, but I will attempt to set up a wrap around screen in the next few days.

Decker89 mentioned the Optoma EH500. That looks like a nice projector and if someone has the money to invest, that would make a nice solution.

I would recommend either of the two projectors that I have for someone who is interested in spending a bit less money.  The Vivitek Qumi Q2 can be purchased for $400 and the LG PA75u can be purchased for $650.  Both of these projectors have a 1280x800 resolution with a lumens output of 300 for the Q2 and 700 for the LG, so you need a dark room, but the picture displayed is very good.  

The Qumi Q2 is a mini projector and fits in the palm of your hand (weighs about a pound) so it is quite portable.  Vivitek also has a couple higher end models, the Q5 and Q7, which have higher lumens output and a higher price as well.  

The LG model is a regular size projector and the thing I love about it is it have Smart TV built in to it, so I can not only use it for flight simming but I can use it to watch the football playoffs and surf the internet.

The nice thing about either of these models is there is no need to replace the bulb because the light source is LED, which lasts 25 thousand hours. The projectors that use traditional projector bulbs require replacement after 2-4 thousand hours and those bulbs often cost around $3-500.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Hi all,

Well, I may be hooked and try the projector. I wanted to ask MikeT707 about his curved screen. How did you curve the screen and keep all the image in focus? My sim is in one of the bedrooms I did use as an office. I beleive I could install the projector, an Acer 1240 for under $400 at Walmart. I says it's a short throw and projects a 109" at 2 meters. I figure I can get an 80" screen size on the wall in front of my sim, so that should hopefully bring the distance to 4 to 5 feet?

A projected image outside the sim seems like it would be a more natural way to go. If I'm able to download the manual, I can better get an idea of what I can do.

Thanks to each of you for your replys. Any further details of how you did yours would also help a lot.

Larry

I beleive I could install the projector, an Acer 1240 for under $400 at Walmart.

If you want that projector, do yourself a favor and get it from Newegg.  You will save $120 because it is on sale for $280.  You could also check with Wal-Mart to see if they will match the price.  Also, look at the extended service plan wherever you buy it.  Often times the plan allows a free bulb replacement.

Link to item at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CJ3wrsDO77sCFcxAMgodEysADw&Item=N82E16824009471&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Business+Projectors-_-N82E16824009471&ef_id=UHGF4gAAFpvrdUH6:20140108222055:s

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

If you are thinking projector Look at this:

http://www.flyaces.com/

Here's the thing with projectors no matter which one you pick.

Your thinking big screen! right?

Well in my experience its not so much the screen size

but more a combination of how big the screen is and how close you are

to it!

Sure go with a projector but consider how much space you are going to

need for your Sim setup if you are planning on a 120" screen. That's at least a

10"x10" room. If you are not in a position to dedicate that much real estate to

flight sim and/or gaming that means that you have to deal with setup when you

want to play and packing up when you are finished!

I' like many others have been through this! Listen to the voice of

experience. Unless you are an independently wealthy bachelor or spinster

forget about it!

Currently I use a 60" Plasma screen TV in a closet that is 6' x 5'.

That is my permanent FS setup. I get in, I fly, end of story.

I did have a 150" projector screen in my home theatre that I used for FS in the past and my

head was about 9' away and it was great but my current setup

is better!

However, I don't like the Plasma. (Burn in precautions are a pain!)

My plan for October 2014 is a 5' x 5' Curved screen with a projector

in the same 5' x 6' room permanently setup!!!!!

If you have a closet in your home that is 5'x6' or perhaps 4'x6' or at worst 4'x5'

if you are a serious Flight Simmer I would suggest that you negotiate the

use of the small room or closet for that purpose and refer to the link above for what is

possible with a curved (home made if you are up to it) screen and projector.

The flyaces uses omni lenses and a very expensive high resolution 1xprojector to create a 180 view which is out of reach by most consumers. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

So what! I'm not saying replicate it. I saying strive to get as close to it as you can within your budget!

I wanted to ask MikeT707 about his curved screen. How did you curve the screen and keep all the image in focus?

I implemented two methods.  One keeps the image in focus and the other does not.  

When I use a single projector, the image does lose focus as the screen curves.  Honestly it is not too bad and truly does provide an environment that gives a nice peripheral feeling.  

When I use two projectors and place them properly, all stays in focus.  Projectors can be found relatively inexpensively these days, plus the resolution is somewhat low, therefore, having two projectors can be a good solution for someone who wants a truer to life scale and about a 135 degree field of view.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Thanks Mike

I'm thinking the best or at least as far as viewing an image as if I were looking through the windshield of a plane. I'm considering other ways of doing this. I now have a single 42" lcd tv and was looking at, a projector,,,,a 50" lcd tv or,,,,,I already have a 32" led tv, and was thinking of buying a second 32" and placing them side by side.

I am using a Nivida GRFORCE  660 VC, 2 gig mem.

This card will allow me to do a wide screen to combine the 2 monitoirs into one display.    BUT, in doing that, I can't use a third monitor for gauges cause it would be picked up by the widescreen and added to it.

A guestion for all:

Could I add a second VC (cheaper one) that I can use for gauges?

Of the 3 ways, which do you think would be the best and perhaps less costly.

Thanks,

Larry

I implemented two methods. One keeps the image in focus and the other does not.

When I use a single projector, the image does lose focus as the screen curves. Honestly it is not too bad and truly does provide an environment that gives a nice peripheral feeling.

When I use two projectors and place them properly, all stays in focus. Projectors can be found relatively inexpensively these days, plus the resolution is somewhat low, therefore, having two projectors can be a good solution for someone who wants a truer to life scale and about a 135 degree field of view.

2x w1080st will give you 180 degrees- they are short throw 1080p projectors and are on sale for around 900 usd. Take note you also need to get warping software e .g immersive display

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

2x w1080st will give you 180 degrees- they are short throw 1080p projectors and are on sale for around 900 usd. Take note you also need to get warping software e .g immersive display

What type of screens, I imagine you would have to build your own?

ZORAN