Sign in to follow this  
cptCaptain

Looking for good quality scenery

Im a little spoiled of ORBX, so i'm lookin for some good quality airports for Xplane 10 64bit.

The best sceneries i found are "Anacortes 74S", an "Blaine "4W6". They are both very good, and there is always something i can explore with small GA, or helicopters.

Ahhh, and i should be freeware. B)  Any ideas?

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

A good place to start is the downloads section at x-plane.org. All downloads are rated by members so you can sort by rating and let the cream rise to the top. Also Freddy de Pues is one of X-Planes best known airport designer, he has some great stuff here. http://fred-e.net. Lastly the HD terrain mesh v2 from http://www.alpilotx.net is stunning but be prepared for some big downloads

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Thanks for the link to Freddy's page. The HD mesh is already installed since i installed Xplane  B)

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

Here are a couple other resources for your perusal:

X-Plane 10 Airports with Good Scenery v2.0 - A curated selection of airport scenery organized using Google's Maps API for the user's ease. Just tick the 'Freeware' box and browse away. Coverage is mostly concentrated in Europe, but there's generally something for other regions of the world.

XPScenery.net - A similar map-based scenery browser as above, but much more comprehensive; since XPScenery tends toward the 'encyclopedic' end of the spectrum, it includes the 'good' with the 'not-so-good' and you'll have to do your own quality control. Note that there are boxed below the maps to filter scenery created for XP9 and XP10 and that there are different markers for payware and freeware scenery. All-in-all, a useful tool.

XPWorldScenery - A smaller collection of XP10 airport sceneries organized by continent and a point rating. The inclusions can be hit-or-miss, but there are a few gems to be found.

International Scenery Development Group - ISDG puts out some very high-quality freeware airports. The selection is limited as can be imagined for the amount of work it must take to put these together, but YSSY, CYYZ, et al. are still worth a gander even if you don't tend to fly in their areas of coverage. Their "Scenery Add-Ons" page also has some nice goodies like the Wide Taxiway Markings and Vehicle Extension libraries.

I really like the Toronto City airport (CYTZ) scenery, with the Toronto skyline too, its pretty decent.

Most of the airports in the PNW, like Anacortes, are high quality I find. Just search the org for "skagit", "bellingham", "orcas" etc and you'll find some nice sceneries ;)

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

@Jesse

Skagit and Orcas are realy nice. Thanks. Unfortunatly Bellingham doesn't work. 

@CapnSplat

Thanks for the links. There are some gems to be found.

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

By the way, the reason why my map (the first one in CapnSplat's list) has more scenery listed for Europe than the U.S. is simply that there are surprisingly few addons for the U.S. that meet my quality reqs even for the "ok" rating ... I really checked many hundred packages, but most of them are very very old, or do not look good ... :(

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

By the way, the reason why my map (the first one in CapnSplat's list) has more scenery listed for Europe than the U.S. is simply that there are surprisingly few addons for the U.S. that meet my quality reqs even for the "ok" rating ... I really checked many hundred packages, but most of them are very very old, or do not look good ... :(

Your efforts are admirable and I understand the situation. In fact, I'm still using Ted's scenery for some major US hubs (KATL, KDEN, etc.) which, while a worthy attempt at breadth of coverage, tend to be quite schematic. I suppose it's about time I get my hands dirty with WED and OE again! I've been thinking about building KSAT or KAUS for a while now. We'll see if I ever get them to a point where I deem them ready to be released. :smile: