Sign in to follow this  
stevefromio

Occulus Rift and Flight Simulator X?

I was recently looking I to getting Nvidias 3D shutter glasses, but learned that some things are not rendered in 3D in FSX. Apparently runway/papi lighting and many effects will appear as 2D overlays while everything else will have depth perception. Once I learned that I gave up on the idea, and I'm afraid Occulus Rift will face the same issues, if it will work at all.

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

Skyrim and OCR:

I'm certainly no techie, but if this is possible, I don't see why FSX (or any other sim platform) wouldn't be able to utilize it!

LM has announced that they will be supporting it for P3D. Since FSX is no longer developed, we will need to look to p3D or XP for Rift development.

LM has announced that they will be supporting it for P3D. Since FSX is no longer developed, we will need to look to p3D or XP for Rift development.

<_<

X-plane is working on Rift support as we speak. FSX works with the Rift now if you use TriDef driver. However, I can confirm that the problem with lights/PAPI rendering as a 2D overlay is there. It doesn't matter though, it's totally worth it to fly with the Rift! EVEN if the resolution is so crappy you can't read the digits on the instruments. And EVEN if th lights are 2D. Just fly in daylight. It's that awesome! I didn't believe it myself, before i tried.

And to you who have yet to meet someone who hasn't gotten headaches and eyestrain after less than 40 minutes: I never had any problems whatsoever. No nausea, no headache, no eyestrain. And I've played for eight hours straight. I guess it varies from person to person.