Sign in to follow this  
SVA1181

REX 4 Direct & Active Sky Next vs. REX essential +OD & Opus

Hello all,

I already have REX essential +OD & Opus, planning to try REX 4 & Active Sky Next.

Will there be a big difference between the two packages?

Should I upgrade now?

Thank you,

Rex 4 pros over essentials:

Prettier clouds

Über beautiful water

Much faster theme load

Best effect you will have by using both together. Still I think that for essentials users pricing should not extend 10 bucks as this is not that HUGE upgrade and it has less features than essentials.

For opus I cannot say cause I'm ASN addict

Water is too blue IMO, and as always when they release new stuff: 2 steps forward and 1 back!

They should make it possible to blend colors.

Back to FEX, again, that water and color is OK, and not 10 m. high waves you can see from FL330.

Just to show you example from today to help you choose - REX4 direct clouds (1024, I don't use higher res as they look less realistic and eat too much resources) and ASN with enhanced overcast on a sunny, quite cloudy cold day - textures chosen by REX4 direct weather-choice system. I am using cloud cull in DX10 fixer which means clouds further than 10nm are a bit less complex, but again it is for the sake of performance. 

2014-1-25_13-5-46-663rtsrr.jpg

2014-1-25_13-13-49-51tysrb.jpg

Water looks good, but water doesn't matter too much to me because at FL360, it is pretty featureless in RL.  Low and slow or low and fast, I think it looks better and performs WAAAY better.

What I like about ASN and Rex4 is that wx looks scary when it should, not just pretty Hello Kitty cotton balls.  Also that, unlike my personal experience with Opus, the wx doesn't suddenly update and my NGX literally crash.

Can't say anything about Rex4, I'm using AS2012 textures which to me always looked most realistic and I've tried all textures addons out there except for Rex4.

However when it comes to the weather engine IMO ASN simply is the best one out there at the moment. I think there's a demo you can download for free to try it out.

Richard Åsberg