Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

SimConnect after the fact?

FSX Deluxe Edition (Acceleration, etc.) has been installed and running for awhile.  I've got numerous add-ons as well.  Now I want to run Squawkbox 4 on my laptop to connect with VATSIM.

Is it true that SimConnect doesn't need to be installed on the FSX computer? It was never installed even though I did a complete install.  In other words, simconnect.xml is not to be found.  Was that normal?  Am I okay?

If the file SimConnect.xml is present it allows you to control different features of SimConnect. If you don't care about debugging or displaying specific variables used by SimConnect, you don't need it. Unless something has gone wrong with your FSX installation, you have the correct version of SimConnect.dll installed and it corresponds to the version from FSX SP2/Acceleration.

If you are wondering where SimConnect.dll is installed, use the search function here at AVSim to find threads about it. Since various apps (FSX, P3d1, P3d2) and 3rd party add-ons install different versions of libraries, Windows has a way of keeping track of which apps need which version of each library. This approach is  called Side by Side (or SxS). 

Thanks for the quick response.  I now have the SDK folders from Disk 1 and from the Acceleration disc sitting in two folders on my laptop.  Is there a simple "how to" guide on this forum about how to proceed with the setup I'm seeking?  I've been looking around but so far haven't found one - just a lot of contradictory instructions up to this point.  :rolleyes:

Pretty sure the solution has been found in the almost past 1.5 years.