Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Standard vs. Deluxe vs. Gold stability?

I did some short research on this topic moments ago. So Standard edition is well original dated release, and you must patch it with SP1 + SP2, and Acceleration above all, or only Acceleration. Quote from wikipedia:

"Flight Simulator X was released in three editions: Standard, Deluxe, and later Gold. The Deluxe Edition incorporates additional features, including an on-disc software development kit (SDK), three airplanes with the Garmin G1000 Flightdeck, and the ability for the player to act as Air Traffic Control (ATC) for other online users with a radar screen.[6]

The Deluxe Edition features 24 aircraft compared to 18 in the Standard Edition; 45 high-detail airports compared to 40; 38 high-detail cities compared to 28; and 51 structured missions compared to more than 30.[7]

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition combines the Deluxe Edition and the Acceleration expansion pack into one.[8]"

One thing that is confusing me is Grumman G-21-A Goose. On Wiki it says that model comes only with Deluxe version or Acceleration pack. I'm quite sure that I saw Grumman on standard edition which I have.

Anyway I must put a question mark to a stability or perfomance issue with all three versions. Some say that standard + Acceleration works best, some say Deluxe, and some say Gold with Acceleration pack. Anyone have maybe an experience with Standard and Deluxe or Gold version? Someone who can compare stability/performance in these versions?

Thanks for opinios guys!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I can't see why the Standard would have more stability, since it's only lacking on content (less high-detail scenery, less aircraft, less missions). I'll still wait for some comparisons if anyone can make them though.

I also saw that few people stated that they never have any problems with stability in FSX Gold. Maybe it is a coincidence or clean cfg or good tuned system, but I honestly hope that Gold is more optimised than Standard with sp1+sp2.

I posted this topic mostly because since I installed Standard + sp1 + sp2 (without ACc) I'm having many stability/performance problems with FSX. CTD's, BSOD's, freezes. Also DX10 mode is suffering from same symptoms as DX9, DPC latency and huge framedrops on default airports with MyTraffic. I've never had that kind of problems with DX10. I'm currently considering purchasing FSX Gold, as I quite fed up with issues in FSX, so I don't know what else to do/try.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I also saw that few people stated that they never have any problems with stability in FSX Gold. Maybe it is a coincidence or clean cfg or good tuned system, but I honestly hope that Gold is more optimised than Standard with sp1+sp2.

As far as I am aware, Acceleration does have a few differences compared to Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 (except for the new aircraft/scenery/missions). One thing I noticed is that with Acceleration, the AI aircraft sounds are somewhat weird compared to my SP2 install.

Basically you need deluxe with SP2 or if you want some extra features, like carriers, helicopter load slinging than you need acceleration. Stability varies from machine to machine just like any game out there, if you overclock and you have any instabilites FSX will show them up. Most payware planes today require SP2 as it added some new features. And i have not noticed any funny ai sounds, the standard sounds where never that good anyway, unless you want to pay fro new sounds.

I've got Deluxe.  At the time, current thought was to apply SP1, but avoid SP2 unless you had specific problems.  I flew with just SP1 for a long time without problems.

Then I bought an addon that required SP2 and applied the update.  Immediately I started having CTDs about every third flight.  Prior to this I had 3 CTDs in 8 months with just SP2.  I continued having CTDs until recently and I'm not sure what changed it... I use a few voodoo techniques which may or may not help.

You cannot avoid SP2 these days as all addons require it, or Acceleration.  The A2A B377 Stratocruiser docs say that without Acceleration you won't be able to manually adjust the turbo boost (I figured I'd let the FE do that anyway), but when I installed it I had no problems.  When I asked on the A2A forums, they said they found a way to make it work with just SP2.  Good old A2A.  :)  But there are obviously some differences.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

LOL

I inserted my FSX disc 1 and saw that it has SDK, so I apparently have Deluxe version. So Gold is Deluxe + Acceleration. Now the question is, does Gold already have Sp2 built in?

Excellent. From my point of view, it's logical that Gold version could be a bit more stable then. Also, if you buy Gold edition, does installing Acceleration pack is mandatory?

Gold is 3 disks. FSX Deluxe on 2, with no SPs. Install, activate. The third disk is Acceleration, with it's own version of the SPs. Install, activate. No need for any more SPs.

Dave