Sign in to follow this  
JayDub

Water/Land Texture Issues With New Nvidia GTX 660 OC 2GB

Really a FSX textures issue so posting here rather than Hardware section.......

I have just replaced my older ATI 4870 512MB with a new Nvidia GTX 660 OC 2Gb card.  I have worked through most of the problems associated with the graphics card change over.  Performance and visuals are now about what I would expect from my aging Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.8GHz.

The one problem I have been unable to resolve is that when ever any degree of water detail is selected I get very large light blue squares over most of the ground textures.  The only way to avoid this is to have zero water effects.  Did not have this issue with the ATI card, was able to use from zero to max water settings. What could I be doing wrong.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

JayDub

I hope you have better luck solving your light blue ground textures flashes than I did!

I had just bought a brand new system with an Intel i7-4770K liquid cooled processor and a NVIDIA GTX660 2GB video card and no combination of tweaks and cfg changes could resolve this problem. I returned the system for a refund yesterday and have gone back to my trusty old AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ with the NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB. At least that system required no tweaks and has never given me those stupid looking light blue ground textures.

Did you properly removed Ati drivers before installing nvidia ones? I mean properly not just uninstall from OS level? Any time I change between the Ati and nvidia I reinstall os. It's not a must when you know how to use driver sweeper and fix registry entries.

What drivers are u using?

What other hardware you have there? Please post more info.

Drivers and all ATI/AMD folders properly removed and cleaned with Display Driver Uninstaller V6.3........... Latest Nvidia 334.89 installed ...... No other issues with FSX or any other program, card performance outstaning in all other repects.....

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale, Overclocked to 3.80GHz
Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard
GigaByte GeForce GTX 660 2GB, Overclocked Version
8GB OCZ DDR2 Reaper RAM
Vista 64bit Home Premium

JayDub

Hi

Did you delete your SHADERS ?. 2 folders and let FSX build them again?

You also have to delete the 2 lines in GRAPHIC section for the shaders.

Could imagine with a new card that could help quite a bit.

Jesper

A picture is worth a million words.  It sounds like an Autogen issue.  There are a lot of things that cause this problem.  Autogen, settings too high, a bad tweak in the Fsx.cfg that is using up system resources and not allowing complete rendering of the textures, missing .fx files in the effects folder, etc.  Raising the water slider has caused problems for many and AVSIM does not recommend a setting above Low 2.x unless you have a more powerful system.  Although you have a fairly decent video card, you cannot ramp up all of your display settings or your FSX scenery settings w/o having issues eventually.  Your system is not even near the top of the line and even those with top of the line computer systems have problems running FSX (not all but many).  Check out the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (see link under Hot Spots to the right of this forum) for more recommendations and settings. 

On another subject - signatures:  Now this is new so please do not get excited or upset but we are asking members to please put their system specifications in their profile so they will show up like mine (see My PC at the sidebar).  We have created an easy system to accomplish listing your specs for you, allowing users to elect to view your specs without consuming bandwidth each time your message is read. In your User Control Panel, you will find forms that allow you to put system specs, flight sims, hardware and add on information. Please use that method and do not use your signature for your system specs.  The new policy is located over at Hangar Chat and, of course in the Signature policy located under the Forums Tab.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

No luck clearing FSX Shader Cache.... Result was all the ground textures going light blue with only the Auto Gen features showing..........

Signature has been removed......... Will edit profile later.....

Hey Jaydub,

Have you got any 3rd party texture add-ons? Something like REX?

Scenery installed

All the Orbx FTX areas Oceana, North America and Europe. 11 of their custom airports plus FTX Global......

Ultimate Terrain USA and Canada.....Ultimate Traffic 2....

All the MegaScenery Areas, Southern California, Phoenix,Dallas Fort Worth, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Reno/Tahoe.... 

So, as you can see a total reinstall of FSX won't be fun but will do if necessary.....

Power supply is a Cooler Master 750W unit........

If the problems got worse after shaders was cleaned then this does sound like your problem.

Did you also delete the 2 folders in LOCAL/MICROSOFT/FSX?

If they are not deleted they will not be rebuild.

And did you try to make a new fsx.cfg ? this also clears all.

Jesper

Jaydub.

Best thing I can suggest over and above what Jesper offered is to disable (not uninstall) ALL your add-on scenery and see if the issue is still present. If not, then re-enable them one at a time and take a test flight. Keep doing this until the problem happens again and note down which scenery did this. Another option is to get Scenery Config Editor, run it then you can disable the scenery areas right from within the util and outside of FSX. Another thing you can do with that util is to delete the scenery.dat.

Let us know how things go.

M

Now have lost all ground textures with no setting changes bringing them back..... FSX totally trashed at this time..... Have cleared shader cache several times and also let FSX rebuild the FSX.cfg file all with no luck.......

Will disable all scenery in add-on folder as suggested, but have little faith in that as everything was working with 0 water effects priort to messing with the shader cache......

Looks like a total uninstall/reinstall of FSX if the disable scenery advise does not work.......

In that case see you guys in a week or two.....

Thanks for the suggestions......

I have to ask you this.

When you clr the shaders do you also delete the 2 folders for the shaders?

Normally they are in the USERS/"YOUR LOGIN"/APPDATA/LOCAL/MICROSOFT/FSX

When I forget this I can get funny looking textures.

Or actually as someone said above you have a conflict with your old video card drivers and the new card.

Jesper

:P  :P  :P  

Through a break in the overcast the diety of Flight Simming has looked down on me and smiled...... After working with an older shader folder backup I was able to restore the water settings for low 2.x and above....  Low 2.x is about as much as my system can handle anyway.... Low 1.x, Med 1.x and Hi 1.x still corrupt the ground textures but I never used them so no loss..... The sim is now running extremely well with the new GTX card, a noticable improvement over the old Radion HD 4870.....

I promise from now on to follow the golden rule of Flight Simming........ If you are happy with the way it is running, don't touch a thing just turn off the FPS counter, never open your .cfg file to try tweak it a little more.............. Just go flying............

Thanks for everyones help,

JayDub