Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

FSX Installs Into Wrong Folder

Recently I have been having a lot of trouble with FSX, from the Gameuxinstallhelper.dll not being found on installation (which I have now fixed) to this - I specifically told FSX to install to C:/Program Files, but it installs into C:/Program Files (x86). How do I tell it to install into C:/Program Files? I have set it in More Options in the installation process, but it just doesn't install in the specific area I told it to...

The folders are similar but it should still install where you wanted.  Did you click on options when the install process began or did you try to change the line where it says FSX will be installed in the following folder (or something like that).  You have to click on options to change the folder destination.  I would also recommend simply installing it into C:\FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes, I clicked on 'More Options' as following the PMDG FSX Installation guide. I can't figure out why it doesn't follow my command, I am admin. 

"Program file" is the 64 bit program folder, ya dont want it there. FS is a 32 bit app. Regardless, take Jims advice.

Great, it has installed into C:\ and doesn't show any sign of being in either Program Files/Program Files (x86). Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!! 

Hi Boys How you instal fsx to C because when I changed in options to C or program Files fsx automaticly install everything to C program files x86,just one folder with fonts is installed to C program files.Any Idea whats going on???

I also try install to C but Fsx done the same and install it in C Program Files x86 :-(

Did you create a folder called FSX in C: first and then aim the installer towards C:/FSX?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The Program Files folders are special folders and Windows itself takes care of how they are managed. On 64bit Windows, when a 32bit app installer installs to "Program Files", Windows will create the folder in "Program Files (x86)", it's not something hard coded in the installer.

Hi Boys How you instal fsx to C because when I changed in options to C or program Files fsx automaticly install everything to C program files x86,just one folder with fonts is installed to C program files.Any Idea whats going on???

I also try install to C but Fsx done the same and install it in C Program Files x86 :-(

What I would do is completely uninstall FSX, then install FSX with the default settings. But before adding anything else, I would add Write and Modify permissions for the Users Group on the FSX folder.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com