Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

Overclock an Intel i7 860 2.80GHz

Martin i look at screen from prime95 it was max 77C and thats not high.

It was not yesterday a oc:ed a 860 but have a 760 up and running did some fsmark11 @4.45 at 1.36v the 860 is very similar.

my cooling is h60 not as good as Noctua hi have it runs avarage 55C within FSX and close to 80C in Prime or Aida64 FPU.

I dont now if he run some auto oc on vcore but my experiance tells me that up to 1.32v @4.2ghz would be safe even with ambient 25-30C.

When it throttles back to 1800mhz its when Cpu have no load, when he open a app it went back to 3.8.

here a cpuz dump

I5-760.png

Are you sure it's throttling back, the temps with Prime you have shown me aren't that high?

Yes, as you can see in the screenshot I posted, that's the temps I saw when it throttled back upon opening foobar2000.

The thing with FSX is that I fly in full screen mode. So when I notice a massive drop, I change to windowed mode and then see that the CPU has throttled back to 1.80 GHz while the temps are still at least 20ºC from Tj Max AND the maximum registered temperature is never above 85ºC.

Are you sure you mounted your CPU properly, with the thermal interface paste properly applied?

Which TIM did you use, and what method of application?

Are all the fans working correctly and ramping up to the correct RPM when required? Or is the issue the fans, not increasing their RPM?

I didn't mount the CPU onto the motherboard myself, that was done 3 years ago at the store where I bought it. I did change the cooler myself from the stock one to the Noctua NH-U9B following the manual that ships with the cooler. I applied the thermal paste just as described, putting a little ball the size of a pee right in the middle of the CPU and then mounting the heat sink on top of that, actually I think I got a picture:

That's the CPU before applying the thermal paste (after cleaning off the rests of the previous paste):

zd9xTMZ.jpg

And after applying the thermal paste, which is Noctua NT-H1 Premium Grade Thermal Compound:

P72n74L.jpg

And after mounting the heat sink and fans, all 3 fans (the 2 of the heat sink and the one on the case) are blowing in the same direction outwards, that is, from right to left on this image:

nn8qPEF.jpg

Fans were spinning when I took this pic, it's just the shutter speed of the camera.

If the CPU is throttling back, it's very important that you determine why it's doing so, and stop it from continuing.

Do NOT overclock.

So what do I do? Should I bring it back to the default state of 2.80GHz and live with it?

I've OCed back to 4.00GHz (200x20) and ran Prime95 + RealTemp + CoreTemp, nothing else.

It's been running for 15 minutes, I'm writing this on a laptop. Well, I've just seen the CPU freq at 1.80GHz so I stopped Prime95 and it went back to 4.00GHz. However, maximum registered temperature on both RealTemp and CoreTemp is 75ºC (more precisely, max temps are: 71/71/68/75). As you see, I'm far from the maximum of 99ºC yet it's still throttling back...

Today I did some tests (with CPU at 3.80) on the 777 on an airport with thunderstorms with Active Sky Next, USRR (no add-on scenery/airport) It went okay most of the time at around 26 FPS, with the occasional drop to 17-20, but I don't think that's the CPU throttling back because it wasn't a massive sudden drop followed by a massive sudden rise, it went "smoothly" down and "smoothly" up again, if that makes any sense.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Just run the "Sensor Test" on Real Temp, and got this result:

fJnm0zi.png

On this test I was at 3.90GHz (205x19). I'm trying different OCs to see what does well under Prime95.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Did a Aida64 blend test short tests you se load 100% =4.0GHZ when stop test the cpu get down to 1.8ghz. (low CPU load)

Its easy to let the cpu run all time on 4ghz only bios and in win.

My eng is bad hope you understand what i meant.

First with default only BCLK , Multi and Vcore changes in Bios.

Second Energy settings changes in bios.

760%20aida64%20blend%204ghz.png

760%20aida64%20blend%204ghz%20no%20energ

What you can do is download Aida64 , open the monitoring in stability test dont start the test, then run prime95 if the CPU throttling you see that in aida64 the Green bar should go alive and show you the % of CPU throttling.

If the Green bar is on 0% and the yellow bar go down Its no problem for you but if the Green get alive the only thing Its to downclock to you have 0% throttling you can also try to disable HT.

Yes, Aida 64 is a good idea. It does indeed show percentage of throttling.

It's available as a free trial version, you don't have to pay.

It's a bit of a mystery why it should throttle in the 70's.

It could be a defective CPU maybe.