Sign in to follow this  
abbaabb

AS Next with 777

Why aren't you using the speed brakes?  Once you hit 1000ft (depending on SOP) you are unstable, go around and set yourself up for a longer final.

1600ft  doesn't give you a lot of time to get stable in those conditions.

Once on a longer final use the speed brakes to assist with slowing the aircraft (even on the G/S if needed) arm the speed brakes before you hit 1000ft.

Bottom line - if the A/T is still not behaving just disconnect, keep in mind that with A/T off you must add wind corrections to your Vref 

Regards

Rob Prest

I can report that it's happening to me too.

I think that between how the new AS Next inject weather and the 777, we might have a new "issue" to deal with.

Why aren't you using the speed brakes?  Once you hit 1000ft (depending on SOP) you are unstable, go around and set yourself up for a longer final.

1600ft  doesn't give you a lot of time to get stable in those conditions.

Once on a longer final use the speed brakes to assist with slowing the aircraft (even on the G/S if needed) arm the speed brakes before you hit 1000ft.

Bottom line - if the A/T is still not behaving just disconnect, keep in mind that with A/T off you must add wind corrections to your Vref 

Regards

It's understood. Just look at the engines on the G/S. For some reason they don't want to decrease revs , even you can hear it by ear. So that what i found strange to me. I still think (if this is not a safety feature) that ASNext causes all these effects. I'll try with the 737 :rolleyes:  

I can report that it's happening to me too.

I think that between how the new AS Next inject weather and the 777, we might have a new "issue" to deal with.

Have you tryed the 737 or other aircraft?

Have you tryed the 737 or other aircraft?

Not one with an auto-throttle.

I did tried the JS 4100 and I don't know if it is real or not, but on starting the takeoff roll, on a heavy storm, the JS stared to steer to the left even when i have full rudder to the right.

I almost took off over the grass.

Well it is definitely not a safety feature :)  I honestly don't see why you guy's think this is a problem. The approach is flown in rough weather, speed is not increasing, the aircraft is not given enough time to stabilize & you are not using all the tools at your disposal.

Regards

Rob Prest

The approach is flown in rough weather, speed is not increasing, the aircraft is not given enough time to stabilize & you are not using all the tools at your disposal.

That was my thought, too.

Kyle Rodgers

Well it is definitely not a safety feature :)  I honestly don't see why you guy's think this is a problem. The approach is flown in rough weather, speed is not increasing, the aircraft is not given enough time to stabilize & you are not using all the tools at your disposal.

Regards

It happened to me by being configured to land and using the MCP speed selector.

The speed won't come down, and on short final it was almost Vref+40.

What else could I do, beside disconnect the AT?

I'm not saying is an Issue, just that with the way AS Next Inject weather they might have new variables to deal with.

Remember that the 777 was coded before ASNext was out. (right?)

It happened to me by being configured to land and using the MCP speed selector.

The speed won't come down, and on short final it was almost Vref+40.

What else could I do, beside disconnect the AT?

I'm not saying is an Issue, just that with the way AS Next Inject weather they might have new variables to deal with.

Remember that the 777 was coded before ASNext was out. (right?)

Use the speed brake! :)  

Rob Prest

Use the speed brake! :)  

On short final? Is this a SOP with the 777 only?

I didn't knew I could do that.

Anyway, the problem here (with me at least) is that the engine won't spool down, like is reacting to late.

I just realized that i haven't used stabilized approach for ages  :lol:  I'll try it soon

Above 1000ft  then yes.  On the 777 you can have the speed brake out with flap 30 and the gear down. 

Below 1000 you don't disconnect the A/T, you hit TOGA 

In the video linked - even if the OP disconnected A/T he would be cruising down the glideslope with the engines unspooled, not what you want to be doing in any jet.

You should be configuring and stabilized as early as possible in those conditions.  Always be ahead of the aircraft.

Regards

Rob Prest

On short final? Is this a SOP with the 777 only?

I didn't knew I could do that.

(...)

(...) arm the speed brakes before you hit 1000ft.

(...)

Rob was pulling your leg: speedbrakes 'in' is a prerequisite for being stabilized.

I just realized that i haven't used stabilized approach for ages  :lol:  I'll try it soon

You can't use them; you have to perform them!   biggrin.png

Was trying to perform stabilized approach but still couldn't reach Vref even using spoilers. Weather conditions are the same. The one and only way to get stable until i descent to 1000 ft is to fly manually  :Big Grin:

P.S. Don't know why video is blackened  <_<

Are you using the default ASN settings? It looked the A/T was increasing thrust when you applied the speedbrake.

Am about to start a flight on Vatsim so cant test this right now. I did 5 missed approaches into Dubai in severe turbulence and didn't see this behavior.

Regards

Rob Prest