Sign in to follow this  
mrbill55

virtual Memory

Most of us are aware of the virtual memory issues, but I am really frustrated. If I start a flight at JFK in New York with the PMDG 777 I am almost out of memory before I take off (just under 4000) Turning off detailed scenery in route is pointless because I won't get that far. Yes I run a 64bit system windows 7. I can't fly from anywhere to New York or Boston because I run out of memory before I get there. I have a $3000 dollar system with loads of hardware, which means nothing because of this virtual memory issue. I don't believe in miracles, but I just thought I would vent on the forum.

Bill C.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I have lots of addons but they are not relevant. OOM kicks in at around 4100 so I am not out of memory before takeoff, but shortly after leaving a high memory invironment. It continues to accumulate until it maxes out. Most flts start at around 2000 with addon scenery and detailed aircraft. JFK and New York Megacity is notorious for problems with OOM and frame rates in general. Works great with a default Cessna but anything complex causes problems.

Bill C

Then by all means switch off New York Megacity when you use it in combination with complex other add-ons.

Reduce your autogen to sparse, reduce the texture maxload to 1024 and reduce the LOD-Radius to default 4.5.

Yes I imagine I can do that, but the dilemma is that when you pay for stuff so things look realistic, it becomes pointless if they have to be turned off most of the time.

Switch off your other addon scenery (the addons you don't need for your flight departing N.Y.) via Scenery Config Editor and see if it helps. Could make a difference of 200, 400 or even more MB in VAS usage.

BTW this tip is mentioned in the PMDG B777 introduction manual.   :P

Yes I imagine I can do that, but the dilemma is that when you pay for stuff so things look realistic, it becomes pointless if they have to be turned off most of the time.

Yes I understand what you mean and I agree that it is annoying.

But the VAS limit is a fact isn't it?!

Not much you can do other then live with it.

Its either HD scenery with easy aircraft,

or

HD/complex aircraft with easy scenery.

I recently did some extensive VAS testing with the PMDG777.

Scenery used was default KJFK airport with GEX and UTX.

scenery sliders (scenery complexity and autogen) at max!

I get about 3.4 - 3.4GB of VAS use when I take of from Rwy31R and take a left turn (south) over Manhattan in 3000ft.

So, yes it is possible to fly in the KJFK area with the PMDG777.

But if I add a Drzwecki or Aerosoft Manhattan area to it then it is not hard to forcast the results. OooooooooM :-(

One more thing, the FSX scenery sliders I mentioned above have to be set BEFORE the flight is started. I found out during my testing I can reduce VAS by about 300MB if I reduce the Scenery complexity slider by one click (from max) and autogen by two clicks (from max). But I must do this BEFORE the flight, not WHILE flying.

Rob Robson

Ah yes! The sweet sound of a rational and factual response. Sometimes the Sim is like life. You just have to accept the way things are. Maybe I will try a long flight

into the Heartland and just land in a wheat field. :)

Ah....I looked at your first post again and read you are Just Venting.

And here I was Thinking you were looking for advice or experiences others have made.

lol

Sorry to have interrupted your venting session and make sure those corn fields are not 3D 4096 HD wavy like wheets because otherwise you might not even get there.

Oooohm Zennnn.

Rob Robson

Aside from reducing the memory intensive settings like water (Low x2) & AI (AI=0 for vatsim), the most important factor for me in preventing OOMs was to make sure I had all the .NET framework versions going right back to 1.0 - apparently they are not backward inclusive. I still have the scenery settings to almost max.

I cant remember the last time I had an OOM and as I write, I'm flying a PMDG 777-200 and my virtual memory is running at 2,525,396 K - I'm using UK 2000 EGKK scenery set to high res. Will be arriving in CYOM using freeware scenery and I expect my virtual memory to increase to about 2,980,000 K - 3,150,000 K, which is ample enough spare.

Hope this helps,

Tessa Hauke

Aside from reducing the memory intensive settings like water (Low x2) & AI (AI=0 for vatsim), the most important factor for me in preventing OOMs was to make sure I had all the .NET framework versions going right back to 1.0 - apparently they are not backward inclusive. I still have the scenery settings to almost max.

I cant remember the last time I had an OOM and as I write, I'm flying a PMDG 777-200 and my virtual memory is running at 2,525,396 K - I'm using UK 2000 EGKK scenery set to high res. Will be arriving in CYOM using freeware scenery and I expect my virtual memory to increase to about 2,980,000 K - 3,150,000 K, which is ample enough spare.

Hope this helps,

Tessa Hauke

As far as I remember, when you install the latest .net, the older versions are offered in Windows update as well. You can check here if all versions are installed on your PC:

c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework or Framework64 folders. You should see several folders.

You VAS is nice and low I agree.

Do you use DX9 or DX10?

Rob Robson

As far as I remember, when you install the latest .net, the older versions are offered in Windows update as well. You can check here if all versions are installed on your PC:

c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework or Framework64 folders. You should see several folders.

You VAS is nice and low I agree.

Do you use DX9 or DX10?

Yes, that was the link I used to check for the installed .NET framework versions - my PC was only a couple of months old at the time and I think I had to download all the versions from 3 back to 1. But it made a difference immediately and after that it was a matter of fine tuning.

I use DX9 - DX10 didn't sit well and I noticed a big framerate drop rather than OOM

All the best,

Tessa Hauke